RMweb

What design of coach is this Mark 1?

What design of coach is the third coach in this train? One side The other side I think it is a diagram AJ403 RBR, but could someone confirm it please. If it is, it looks a bit of over kill for a Rhymney to Cardiff train!

It is the same as this model in the Comet range which they call D24?

B19-1%20150dpi%2075pc.jpg

Diagram 24 Restaurant Buffet (RB). The most numerous type of Mark I catering vehicle. Introduced from c1960. RTR model made by Mainline around 30 years ago and way ahead of its time.

In later life, many of the vehicles were refurbished, becoming RBR, for Restaurant Buffet Refurbished.

Very long-lived in service and some still exist in charter sets.

Numbers were 1644-1699, 1701-1772. 1700 was the 1956 prototype, to a slightly different design.

Liveries carried in normal BR service were: maroon, green, chocolate & cream, blue/grey, InterCity. Allocated to all regions and seen all over the country at various times.

11 were converted for use in SR 4-REP EMUs 3001-3011 (in 1967) and one ran in the SR 8-VAB unit.

Diagram 24 Restaurant Buffet (RB). The most numerous type of Mark I catering vehicle. Introduced from c1960. RTR model made by Mainline around 30 years ago and way ahead of its time.

Thanks guys. That Mainline model will certainly ease the modelling of this train. Any ideas why my spotters books of the late 80s call it diagram AJ403?

Thanks guys. That Mainline model will certainly ease the modelling of this train. Any ideas why my spotters books of the late 80s call it diagram AJ403?

When TOPS came along new diagram number were developed which were consistent with those for DMUs and EMUs etc.

AJ403 means-

A - Hauled coaching stock

J - Resuturaunt Car with Seating

4 - Unclassified Seating

03 - sub type 3

Archived