Class 66 Engine compartment

Lawrence

Hi guys

Have been tasked with providing a data logging system which will be fitted in a Class 66 engine compartment, my main concern is the operating temperature in there. I have tried calling all the UK operators but the offices don't seem to be manned right now, so I wondered if anybody here could give me a ballpark figure.

My main concern is my connectors, the type I plan to use are good up 90 degrees C and have pretty good anti vibration characteristics.

I would be grateful if anybody could provide any info on this environment.

Thanks in advance

I know our control is largely operating from home, so I expect many others are too.

I presume you've been trying the "public" numbers on shown on websites etc? I'd have thought they'd at least be manned and be able to at least least speak to someone, surprised if not.

Sorry can't help with the technical question

Jo

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Just consider that when it is running, it is fairly stable, with airflow from the various fans etc. But when it is stopped, that is when the temperature will rise considerably, probably still much less than 90 degrees. But even stood idle in the midday sun parked up in a yard, it isn't going to be somewhere a person would want to be for long. You wouldn't leave your hand on the bodyside for long...

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, Lawrence said:

Hi guys

Have been tasked with providing a data logging system which will be fitted in a Class 66 engine compartment, my main concern is the operating temperature in there. I have tried calling all the UK operators but the offices don't seem to be manned right now, so I wondered if anybody here could give me a ballpark figure.

My main concern is my connectors, the type I plan to use are good up 90 degrees C and have pretty good anti vibration characteristics.

I would be grateful if anybody could provide any info on this environment.

Thanks in advance

I'm confused by this request.

Yes many of the 'head office' functions of FOCs may not be in work at the moment, but as the FOCs are still running then there are still an awful lot of people still working within said organisations and as such it seems strange that they would ignore queries from someone they have commissioned to build a system for them.

If you are designing such a data logging system on a professional basis, one would presume you are doing so because a FOC has specifically asked for such a data logging system. That means a contract exists which would cover the provision of information you require. Relying on such critical information being provided from a model railway forum (or indeed any public chat group) seems a very odd thing to do and not the sort of thing anyone should rely on when building commercial products.

Edited by phil-b259

1 hour ago, phil-b259 said:

I'm confused by this request.

Yes many of the 'head office' functions of FOCs may not be in work at the moment, but as the FOCs are still running then there are still an awful lot of people still working within said organisations and as such it seems strange that they would ignore queries from someone they have commissioned to build a system for them.

If you are designing such a data logging system on a professional basis, one would presume you are doing so because a FOC has specifically asked for such a data logging system. That means a contract exists which would cover the provision of information you require. Relying on such critical information being provided from a model railway forum (or indeed any public chat group) seems a very odd thing to do and not the sort of thing anyone should rely on when building commercial products.

Thanks for your comments Phil, as I said, nobody was answering the phone today at any of the major users, I have no reason why you would think I was being untruthful about this.

As for garnering information from a public forum, well I know there are a number of professional railway men on here who, if asked could provide me with general guidelines with which I could beat the recalcitrant salesman around the head with the aim being he get of his lazy ass and push the customer for official information, And frankly I'd rather trust rmweb than google.

I can see that the request confused you because you failed to add anything positive to the conversation but, out of courtesy, I took the time to reply to your post. I hope it puts your mind at ease.

Can I ask the mod team to lock this post please as my questions have been answered by a current rolling stock technician

• RMweb Premium
17 hours ago, Lawrence said:

Thanks for your comments Phil, as I said, nobody was answering the phone today at any of the major users, I have no reason why you would think I was being untruthful about this.

As for garnering information from a public forum, well I know there are a number of professional railway men on here who, if asked could provide me with general guidelines with which I could beat the recalcitrant salesman around the head with the aim being he get of his lazy ass and push the customer for official information, And frankly I'd rather trust rmweb than google.

I can see that the request confused you because you failed to add anything positive to the conversation but, out of courtesy, I took the time to reply to your post. I hope it puts your mind at ease.

Can I ask the mod team to lock this post please as my questions have been answered by a current rolling stock technician

I didn't mean to cast aspersions about your honestly - but it seems distinctly odd that you had to resort to a public forum for the information you needed.

My reaction would have been the same if someone was asking for info relating to S&T equipment or indeed the p-way for a commercial data logger project on here.

If a company commissions someone to build something for them but the contractor does not have the necessary information, it seems a rather significant oversight if said contractor has to go round posting on public forums to get the answers. Its good that you have now received the info you need and there is no denying RMweb members can be a very useful resource when it comes to railway queries, but that doesn't alter the fact that you shouldn't have had to resort to it in the first place.

• Agree 2

On 03/06/2020 at 20:43, Davexoc said:

Just consider that when it is running, it is fairly stable, with airflow from the various fans etc. But when it is stopped, that is when the temperature will rise considerably, probably still much less than 90 degrees. But even stood idle in the midday sun parked up in a yard, it isn't going to be somewhere a person would want to be for long. You wouldn't leave your hand on the bodyside for long...

Class 91s stood idle in the midday sun parked up at KGX could get hot enough in the equipment bay to set the fire extinguishers off.

A regular cause of failures till a modification made allowing the cooling fans to run with the master switches at off when no driver's key in

• Informative/Useful 1