Minerva 8750

swiftbeam

Hi,

I'll be getting my first Minerva loco Monday and I was just wondering how others have been getting on with their locos form this brand.

I get the impression from reading as much as I can here, that they are VERY good runners but maybe a fraction light on detail compared to Dapol??

I can't find much about problems with their locos, and what I do find has been VERY well dealt with by the company, is this about right?

I am lucky in the case of Minerva in as much as I am only a short drive away from one of their outlets, so I can collect, so if this brand is a cut above the rest, it would be very handy for me :-)

Personally, my only 'issue' with buying the 8750 is it 'seems' to be lacking an ash pan, can anybody tell me if this is right? If yes, does anybody make an after market casting to fit on? (if not, I'll make one) Or maybe Dapol sell one as a spare?? Maybe the prototype's is not so visible?

Thanks.

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, swiftbeam said:

Hi,

I'll be getting my first Minerva loco Monday and I was just wondering how others have been getting on with their locos form this brand.

I get the impression from reading as much as I can here, that they are VERY good runners but maybe a fraction light on detail compared to Dapol??

I can't find much about problems with their locos, and what I do find has been VERY well dealt with by the company, is this about right?

I am lucky in the case of Minerva in as much as I am only a short drive away from one of their outlets, so I can collect, so if this brand is a cut above the rest, it would be very handy for me :-)

Personally, my only 'issue' with buying the 8750 is it 'seems' to be lacking an ash pan, can anybody tell me if this is right? If yes, does anybody make an after market casting to fit on? (if not, I'll make one) Or maybe Dapol sell one as a spare?? Maybe the prototype's is not so visible?

Thanks.

My impression is very popular brand and proprietors, good customer service and reliable runners.

They have built a good reputation and deservedly so but it is quite hard to find comparisons between the two locos, which is slightly odd as a lot of people were very happy to predict which would be better before hand!

For me the Dapol one does edge it for detail and overall appearance - the differences are pretty subtle (edit: Dapols has working inside motion although I've never even bothered to look at it and its not a factor for me). I noticed the other day in a photo that Minerva's tanks are narrower which might be why I prefer Dapols appearance from the front. It very much one of those "can't quite put a finger on why" opinions and merely commenting why I went with Dapol rather than trying to detract from Minerva in any way.

There is a joint in the cab moulding on Minervas late style cab which slightly detracts although equally Dapol's has one on the side of the smokebox.

Since Dapol pretty is much sold out everywhere at the moment, its a slightly academic comparison! I appreciate you were unlucky with yours but the 14xx is a slight step up again in terms of appearance for me but all are good.

No connection to either and admittedly mine are not worked hard.

Hope that helps - I think you'll be happy either way.

Edited by Hal Nail

My buddy has the Minerva 8750.  I weathered it for him, in fact I still have it.  Other points:

1)  No firebox glow.  The Dapol model has this feature.

2)  No etched number plates.  You are recommended to get these from Narrow Planet which can take quite some time.

3) There is a packet of extra details that you will need to add.

It is an excellent model though:

P1010001-002.JPG.782058ba8a1898bc8c57c981757d0966.JPG

John

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

I have panniers from both marques. 

The 57xx and 8750 from Minerva were both brand new sound fitted examples.

The Dapol 8750 was secondhand with an aftermarket sound decoder fitted (not by me).

All three are excellent models. 

I'm not the sort of person who quibbles over whether they are the wrong shade of black or the thrubblethrusterblock is 2 mm further back than it should be one on compared to the other.  I bought them to run on a model railway where they are viewed from a distance, so very minor discrepancies are not an issue.

Besides, I like to think that I am a railway modeller, so if I need to do a bit of light  fettling or conversion to improve the breed I will. 

I also have the Dapol 64xx and 74xx models as well as a 14xx.

The same comments apply to them.

One thing I would point out point out is Minerva's customer service and after sales support, which is outstanding.

Edited by Happy Hippo
Spelling
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium

Both are excellent models in my opinion - very minor plusses and minuses to chose between the Minerva and Dapol. I went for the Minerva as I found them great to deal with and very responsive to issues.

Lack of firebox glow on the Minerva is of no concern to me (doors were mostly shut anyway) and the Dapol "working" internal valvegear is not really noticeable. The only regrettable omission for me is the ashpan but I've added one from plasticard. 

There's no number plates on the Minerva but that enables you to have any number you want (mine is 4666). Iirc the Dapol one has a plastic lip around the plate position which annoys some.

• Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
13 minutes ago, swiftbeam said:

Does anybody have a really good side picture I can use to make one?

Type "gwr 5700 class 0-6-0PT No 8702" into Google images - i cant get it to post the link instead of the photo and its not my copywrite.

There really isn't much to see. I know you shouldn't model from a model but heres the Dapol just to show its literally just a bit hanging down between the frames.

83971092_57xx4.jpg.716f3d876067d0a0a2445108ea38d155.jpg

• Like 1

The lack of firebox glow is not a deal breaker to be sure.  It is a difference between this and the Dapol.  With a sound decoder, the firebox glow comes on when the "fireman shovelling" function is active.  This can be selected but is also random.  It is not a frequent occurrence.

John

19 minutes ago, Hal Nail said:

Type "gwr 5700 class 0-6-0PT No 8702" into Google images - i cant get it to post the link instead of the photo and its not my copywrite.

There really isn't much to see. I know you shouldn't model from a model but heres the Dapol just to show its literally just a bit hanging down between the frames.

83971092_57xx4.jpg.716f3d876067d0a0a2445108ea38d155.jpg

I absolutely have tried the Google search, I've been looking for hours and hours and fond nothing I can use to make a faithful model ash pan.

I don't care about the flicker.

2 minutes ago, 2ManySpams said:

Simple box 38mm long at its base:

rps20190508_211328.jpg.d2b69317beb645e9c11d70f363ccb579.jpgrps20190508_211304.jpg.75c728c92deaff303f85cffdc436807f.jpg

Width is set by the spring hangers, depth by the rod between the brake pull rods.

That is a good start.

Is there any detail on the sides, like rivets etc?

Thanks for the pics.

• RMweb Premium
1 minute ago, swiftbeam said:

Thank you Happy Hippo, 

I did ask this question in my first post, so thank you for the link :-)

"Or maybe Dapol sell one as a spare?? "

You have a PM