A return to Nantford Spinney

AndyB

I mentioned earlier that a woodyard is planned to sit behind the headshunt. In an earlier post I gave the example on the Madder Valley Railway as my preferred design.

So earlier in the week I started work. Inspiration came quickly when I found a spare laser-cut part from a Metcalfe kit.

My plan was to cut the piece down to create the curved roof, use this as a template for the rear wall,  and then form the roof from thin card over the top. 

20211003_120409.jpg.e17759fa313f07eae6e0d47b710e9502.jpg

First contact proved my plan had flaws.

Firstly although I'd tried my best to cut 3 similar curves, they were anything but! And when replicated for the rear wall it got worse. Secondly when I glued a thin bit of card over the top to form the roof it looked a complete mess.

Abandoned that and had a think.

So, what I needed were 3 pre-formed curved surfaces of the right radius to map onto the laser-cut part's vertical supports. 

As luck would gave it the sprue from the Wills watermill kit was an ideal candidate; I rarely throw stuff away!! You just never know when it'll be useful - we'll that's my excuse, anyway. 

20211003_120424.jpg.8df2549707d412ea2e05253b72072c51.jpg

20211003_134037.jpg.cff635468150dedb115007403f1dd7b2.jpg

This just left how to make the roof without the stiffness of a piece of card dictating the shape, rather than the former doing so.

The answer seemed to be to use a composite of tin foil and paper. Paper on its own seemed likely to fail if the garage gets damp.

20211003_150828.jpg.b6943fc46952b64011449462cfa9441f.jpg

In the next post I'll show photos of how this came together and a quick look at how it'll fit onto the overall scene.

Thanks for reading.

Andy

• Like 2

I'd saved the interior parts of the smithy kit which allowed me to create some other offices / workshop for the woodyard; albeit in low or three-quarter relief. 

20211003_154600.jpg.7a1bfe589690cf2da448195d145ad4c6.jpg

The idea is to fill the open shed with lengths of wood (cut-down matchsticks) to disguise how shallow it is. Maybe a small crane, too.

I've sprayed the tin foil with primer and will paint the roof black - then let the local seagull population on the quayside go to work on it!

20211003_155007.jpg.222f635b0064eefbaca53fccae15c8ee.jpg

I also need to add a business name to the front elevation of the roof. Not sure how to do that yet - maybe a transfer?

Anyway, here's a couple of photos of the woodyard temporarily in situ.

I feel it's met the brief, filling the corner, adding interest whilst not dominating the scene.

Hope you agree. Andy 

20211003_155324.jpg.35f330bb451860f5a052979343a58b56.jpg

20211003_155602.jpg.a02d88f92b22529d43f1511a924de051.jpg

20211003_155540.jpg.39751fdd250520bb8ab8a273fb832461.jpg

20211003_155552.jpg.e979bfa2d9f2e129675b31911ebd2e15.jpg

Edited by AndyB
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2

Evening all,

Just a quick update tonight.

I wanted to bed the quayside buildings into cobblestones.

I know that many people believe that in 2mm scale there's no need to add texture to building materials.

But I thought I'd give it a go and ordered up a sheet of Vollmer embossed cobblestones. I have to say that whilst some of their sheets may have noticeable relief, this particular one didn't. So, not really any improvement over a downloadable equivalent.

Anyway...after a bit of scribing round the two buildings and mounting the cobblestones on another piece of card I was able to bed the buildings in without unsightly gaps under the walls.

The cobblestones card is quite shiny and might take a coat of matt varnish in due course.

20211006_191521.jpg.1df05dfe47d43aeac5e88b82e710cbcc.jpg

I've still a bit of work to do on the converted smithy, but here's a look-see of what it'll look like in situ.

20211006_191831.jpg.53c70b3fee2c09e05d6498a99abab0a5.jpg

• Like 5

Afternoon all and this post is entirely in response to a tongue-in-cheek assertion by Mike @The Stationmaster over lunch earlier today with @grandadbob and @Andrew P

Comparing purchasers at the Aldershot show I revealed the acquisition of a bus for the layout.

"But Andy. You haven't got a bridge to put it on!", says Mike. 

"Au contraire, young man, au contraire..."

:whistle:

20211010_141817.jpg.71639c09376c459e8cca8fb21bc08a26.jpg

Now, the real reason for why I need a bus will be revealed in the (hopefully) not too distant future. And it relates to wild rumours circulating in The Nantford Arms of a significant boost to local tourism.

I can say no more at the moment, but the bucolic Nantford branchline and businesses in the town may well become a tad busier in the months to come...

You heard it here first, folks. 

20211010_142008.jpg.1069f7cb33e8b25e7151b9231b5f26bb.jpg

Edited by AndyB
  • Like 4
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

55 minutes ago, AndyB said:

Afternoon all and this post is entirely in response to a tongue-in-cheek assertion by Mike @The Stationmaster over lunch earlier today with @grandadbob and @Andrew P

Comparing purchasers at the Aldershot show I revealed the acquisition of a bus for the layout.

Now, the real reason for why I need a bus will be revealed in the (hopefully) not too distant future. And it relates to wild rumours circulating in The Nantford Arms of a significant boost to local tourism.

I can say no more at the moment, but the bucolic Nantford branchline and businesses in the town may well become a tad busier in the months to come...

Brilliant Andy, and thanks for a great meet up with you Bob, @grandadbob  Mike @The Stationmaster  and the Station Cat,:laugh: All such good company and a pleasure to meet you all today.

Andy what's the history of the White Cottages as I could do with some of those mate?

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, Andrew P said:

Brilliant Andy, and thanks for a great meet up with you Bob, @grandadbob  Mike @The Stationmaster  and the Station Cat,:laugh: All such good company and a pleasure to meet you all today.

Andy what's the history of the White Cottages as I could do with some of those mate?

Good to meet you Andy and as I said, now that your a local again you can pop in sometime and see the layout in person.

The white cottages are just Kestrel kits which I painted up in seaside colours. I left the brickwork showing through a bit as I figured that winter storms would have weathered it a bit. They are 2mm scale so on Bute Road you'd need to use them as perspective forcers. I don't use the thick plastic drain pipes supplied, but use florist's wire instead.

I may well paint up the other two Kestrel kits in the photo too. 

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, AndyB said:

Good to meet you Andy and as I said, now that your a local again you can pop in sometime and see the layout in person.

The white cottages are just Kestrel kits which I painted up in seaside colours. I left the brickwork showing through a bit as I figured that winter storms would have weathered it a bit. They are 2mm scale so on Bute Road you'd need to use them as perspective forcers. I don't use the thick plastic drain pipes supplied, but use florist's wire instead.

I may well paint up the other two Kestrel kits in the photo too. 

Cheers Andy, how did I miss the bit that this is in N Gauge?:fie:

Still looking forward to seeing it some time. My last N Gauge Layout was Glenfinick.

Back in about 1979 I bought a Minitrix 27 converted to a 33 with a 4TC Set from a guy in Alton a few doors from the current Alton Models. He later moved to Gosport and opened a Model Shop.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Andrew P said:

Cheers Andy, how did I miss the bit that this is in N Gauge?:fie:

Still looking forward to seeing it some time. My last N Gauge Layout was Glenfinick...

Maybe when I said I'd filled my whole garage with a branchline. :wink_mini: :D

I've a small fleet of diesels I could run on it for you sometime. And I believe I pre-ordered the N Gauge Society Hunslet a while back, before the idea for layout was born.

• Like 2

Evening all, 

As a wadge of the day was spent at the Aldershot show progress today was just a simple addition of timber loads to the shed.

The buildings are now fixed in place. I've got to re-do the sign as I didn't spot that it's text wrapped round; not sure why I didn't spot that and it'll need correcting. 

There's an intriguing name on this local business. I wonder if there any relationship to the Kent Larkins! I'd not rule it out if rumours are to be believed.

20211010_170728.jpg.65a113eb1eb5e63a3b310200b33a342e.jpg

Thanks for taking a look. This week's job is to add a small yard crane to finish this corner of the layout off.

Andy

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold
22 hours ago, AndyB said:

Well I did suggest putting it by the level crossing ;)

I'd be very careful abut that bridge - I could see 'somebody' doing a Connel Ferry job on that if you're not careful.

• Funny 3

21 hours ago, The Stationmaster said:

Well I did suggest putting it by the level crossing ;)

I'd be very careful abut that bridge - I could see 'somebody' doing a Connel Ferry job on that if you're not careful.

I'm waiting to see the first exhibition layout featuring just a lifted track bed and an animated cyclist. :D

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 2
  • Funny 3

I wanted to add a small crane in the timber merchant's yard to help move loads from the wagons. 

As I'd just spent my current modelling tokens on a bus for the layout I thought it'd be a great opportunity to try a bit of a scratchbuilding.

I don't know about anyone else but I quite like to reimagine and repurpose items in my bits box. 

The first bit of rummaging was to find an arm for the crane...which led to this discovery left over from my OO days; half of a Peco set of buffers.

Along with some riveted plates and the wheel from a OO gauge wheelbarrow, this rusty old thing is what I came up with. 

20211012_104505.jpg.4aa8b0be78ccd5b6425d7817ca4d6974.jpg

20211012_112014.jpg.0afb1bcc153f7024eb27653e905dd425.jpg

Edited by AndyB
  • Like 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 6

Evening all, 

I've been thinking about what other buildings to place around the harbour.

And top of my list is a pub. Signs of a well spent youth!

I'd previously been given a batch of Bilteezi kits, including their pub kit and had earmarked it for this pisition

The size is fine but as the model will sit close to the front of the layout the lack of relief - especially the windows and doors will be really apparent. If I cut these out and replaced them I'd most likely make a real mess of it; let's see.

But for now I think this kit may get consigned to the rear of the layout, maybe as a low relief structure? 

20211013_190610.jpg.f202afc55760570101b3e0f1ffa23e7a.jpg

Edited by AndyB
  • Like 2

No progress to report over the weekend.

But I did manage to add a small detail to the layout this evening - a small herd of cattle.

Let's just say even the little jobs keep things moo-ving along. 

20211019_192506.jpg.96be65351a141268b57b689f4af0419e.jpg

These cattle were by Model Scene and needed painting. Which made me think about what colour they should be.

Cue the ultimate livery guide to British cattle.

As my layout is set somewhere in the south west I plumped for Red Ruby Devon / South Devon. Or "light rust" colour, a pot of which was close to hand! I added a few cow pats behind them on the lane for good measure.

Interestingly (or maybe not) I read that  railway companies' preferences were not to keep cattle in pens for too long as it'd cost to provide food and water. So I resisted the temptation to put the cattle in the pens and put them on a lane as if moving between fields, or indeed heading towards the pens.

Anyway, that's about it for now.

Thanks for reading. Andy

Edited by AndyB
  • Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 1

• 1 month later...

Well it's been over a month since I posted and I've not had much time to tackle any of the more time-consuming jobs.

But having watched Phil Parker's tutorial on wagon weathering I thought I might have a go myself.

Noting of course the wise words from my local model shop owner..."If you do one, you have to do them all!"

For these open wagons I dry brushed with acrylic sleeper grime and followed this with a dusting of weathering powders; rust on the ironwork and a mix of grey and shoot powders on the woodwork to show them as being care-worn coal wagons.

I'm not sure how to tone-down the brake-van's roof. So if anyone has any suggestions please don't be shy.

Of course this is all a precursor to tackling my locomotives, which I'd imagine would be approaching withdrawal - so not in the best of condition! But let's not rush that; better to learn to walk before running. Or ruining!

Cheers for now. Andy

20211121_155110.jpg.e9d9a83cc6a77523a3efe547fe38df3e.jpg

20211121_155132.jpg.46763e692c113d10d9d4ee4535fd2dff.jpg

Edited by AndyB
  • Like 2
  • Round of applause 1

• RMweb Premium
30 minutes ago, AndyB said:

Well it's been over a month since I posted and I've not had much time to tackle any of the more time-consuming jobs.

But having watched Phil Parker's tutorial on wagon weathering I thought I might have a go myself.

Noting of course the wise words from my local model shop owner..."If you do one, you have to do them all!"

For these open wagons I dry brushed with acrylic sleeper grime and followed this with a dusting of weathering powders; rust on the ironwork and a mix of grey and shoot powders on the woodwork to show them as being care-worn coal wagons.

I'm not sure how to tone-down the brake-van's roof. So if anyone has any suggestions please don't be shy.

Of course this is all a precursor to tackling my locomotives, which I'd imagine would be approaching withdrawal - so not in the best of condition! But let's not rush that; better to learn to walk before running. Or ruining!

Cheers for now. Andy

20211121_155110.jpg.8e01f0d085ed415ae60db2bd476ada6b.jpg

20211121_155132.jpg.4b325e6da78e5a9f9e1e794c8b3d154e.jpg

Hi Andy, I like the consistency across the rake of wagons.  As it happens, I tried lightly weathering a similarly-sized small 009 wagon this afternoon, but was so light with my attempt that it doesn’t actually show in all the photos I took.  My guess is you could probably go muckier without overdoing it, but it’s down to what you want.  I know I need to try being braver with mine!

Your question about the Toad roof made me think: as I understand it, the GW painted their white coach roofs in darker colours during the War, to help hide night-time train movements.  AFAIK they didn’t repaint them white again afterwards.  This makes me wonder what they did about white van roofs - given the importance of freight traffic in wartime, it would be a bit illogical to leave them white?  Afraid I don’t know the answer (others will), and I like the white roofs, but it’s a thought, Keith.

• Like 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

1 hour ago, Keith Addenbrooke said:

Hi Andy, I like the consistency across the rake of wagons.  As it happens, I tried lightly weathering a similarly-sized small 009 wagon this afternoon, but was so light with my attempt that it doesn’t actually show in all the photos I took.  My guess is you could probably go muckier without overdoing it, but it’s down to what you want.  I know I need to try being braver with mine!

Your question about the Toad roof made me think: as I understand it, the GW painted their white coach roofs in darker colours during the War, to help hide night-time train movements.  AFAIK they didn’t repaint them white again afterwards.  This makes me wonder what they did about white van roofs - given the importance of freight traffic in wartime, it would be a bit illogical to leave them white?  Afraid I don’t know the answer (others will), and I like the white roofs, but it’s a thought, Keith.

Thanks, Keith. It was actually quite fun and has taken that plasticky look off the wagons. 

You may want to try using weathering powders. If you go "too mucky" you could wash them off, I guess. That's certainly what I'm hoping for with my now rusty "garage jumper" that I was wearing when I dusted up my wagons. :D

I once went too heavy handed with acrylics when weathering the front grill of a OO gauge Class 08 shunter; not easy to recover a model from that. 

Very interesting about the Toad. I'm into minds whether to give ut an all-over coat of grey; I quite like the white roof.

Over recent weeks I've been looking in more detail at the liveries of much of my rolling stock to better understand their timelines.

For example, I'd assumed the Mk1 BR(S) coaches I have dated from the 1950s. However the yellow 1st class stripe on them seems to place them no earlier than 1962. 

Whereas my GWR pannier tank would need to have inhabited the absolute backwaters of the Western region to avoid a repaint for 14 years!

Handily, Nantford Spinney is just such a backwater where time passes at a slightly different pace! 

• Like 3

Hello all, 

I'm after suggestions on how best to fence off the coal yard and goods shed. 

I've assumed that somehow the coalyard owner would've wanted to deter petty pilfering with a wall or fence. Or maybe a viscious hound!

However as you can see from the photo, below, it's difficult to know how to stop would-be thieves stepping round the ends of the fence. Or simply crossing over the tracks. 

Any ideas?

20211129_121845.jpg.39bbc999a0edbdd79c9226d569f33acc.jpg

To help articulate the problem I've borrowed this quote from Captain George Mainwaring and Sergent Arthur Wilson...

Cpt. George Mainwaring : I could have sworn that they would never break through the Maginot line.

Sgt. Arthur Wilson : Quite right sir, they didn't.

Cpt. George Mainwaring : I thought not. I'm a pretty good judge of these matters you know Wilson.

Sgt. Arthur Wilson : They went round the side.

Cpt. George Mainwaring : I see... they what!

Sgt. Arthur Wilson : They went round the side.

Cpt. George Mainwaring : That's a typical shabby Nazi trick, you see the sort of people we're up against Wilson.

Sgt. Arthur Wilson : Most unreliable sir.

Edited by AndyB
  • Funny 4

On 30/11/2021 at 17:58, The Stationmaster said:

Normally the only fencing would be the railway's boundary fenceso you wouldn't have a fence between the siding and the adjacent line.

Thanks, Mike.

This may reflect a better arrangement.

I can maybe take the wall/fence to the baseboard edge.  

Andy

20211202_085908.jpg

Edited by AndyB
  • Like 1
  • Agree 2

• 2 weeks later...

I caught page 1 of this thread as it was being populated and seemed to have passed me by until now and I see there are another half dozen. I'm sure I'm one of many silent readers, but I thought I'd just pop a note to say I found this very enjoyable to read and wish you all the best of luck.

• Thanks 1

On 19/12/2021 at 13:51, Lacathedrale said:

I caught page 1 of this thread as it was being populated and seemed to have passed me by until now and I see there are another half dozen. I'm sure I'm one of many silent readers, but I thought I'd just pop a note to say I found this very enjoyable to read and wish you all the best of luck.

Many thanks for your kind comment. Please feel free to pitch in with any ideas along the way!

Its been, and continues to be, a satisfying project that started during lockdown in 2020 as a bit of an escape from reality.

Along the way it's also featured as the backdrop to quite a few Teams calls and provided some virtual "water cooler" moments with colleagues along the way.

With 2022 just round the corner there are some exciting new bits to build as Nantford Quay is developed further.

Happy to keep sharing progress. 

Andy

• Like 2

First of all a merry Christmas to each of you. Hopefully this post finds you in good health. 

Apart from a much needed week off from work I was fortunate to receive a number of gifts. 

One of these was a pair of laser engraved signal box signs. I'd hesitate to call these stocking fillers as they are incredibly tiny! 

One now adorns the Nantford Quay signal box and the other one will go onto a running in board in due course. 

Whilst they're not the cheapest of items I'd have struggled to print anything remotely legible this size. 

Anyway, for now wishing you all a merry Christmas and Happy Modelling in 2022.  

All the best. Andy

20211227_170731.jpg.1e40b3ed5648981f7eb934328f6a58f4.jpg

Edited by AndyB
  • Like 2