What's This Platform Canopy Fitting ?

Anyone know what this device was ? ( photographed at Beckenham Junction in 1991 - but I remember others ) .............. I can only guess that it was some sort of ( experimental ? ) transponder for identifying a train to the station - or identifying the station to the train !!?! : clearly not compatible with OHLE !

539_08.jpg

539.08x.jpg

• RMweb Premium

Can't be 100% certain, but it's probably a Train Mass Detector to turn on DOO CCTV screens and keeping the screens "on" until the train has departed the platform. Yes, the screens will come on if the train doesn't actually stop at the platform (non-stopper or freight). It was a very cheap solution to the alternative arrangement of using signalling interfaces with track circuits (signalling interfaces are very expensive in comparison to a TMD). Back in the day, the type of DOO CCTV screens were CRT monitors, and one significant problem they suffered from was "screen burn" whereby images were effectively etched on to the screen which gave misleading info to the driver (the driver could interpret that no passengers were boarding/alighting the train and therefore closed the doors when in fact people were still boarding/alighting). Not a problem these days with TFT screens, which is why DOO CCTV monitors are "on" all the time.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 3

• 10 months later...

Thanks for the extremely speedy - and useful - reply.

The Ratio model. appeared to be a likely candidate, but I'd not yet got around to a detailed comparison.

Second question: What is the purpose of the two rails between the running rails on the down track?

Third question: When was the bullhead rail replaced by flat-bottomed rail?

• RMweb Premium
58 minutes ago, Mark L Horstead said:

Second question: What is the purpose of the two rails between the running rails on the down track?

Looks like new rails laid ready for install, or left over from a re-rail. 

• RMweb Premium

Not uncommon, still happens today. Looking at the photo, I’d say there’s been a ballast drop, if the rails are already laid out, it’s not unusual to drop over them and regulate it after. 
The cribs are lacking ballast, so not surprising there has been a drop, though, I would argue not enough. 

Edited by Ncarter2