What year was ICI roundel logo first seen?

john dew

• RMweb Gold

I have a rather nice rake of ICI tankers in Teal green with the roundel logo but I have a nasty feeling that 1948 is too early for them

I have googled in vain for a definitive answer but I do get the sense that it was mid fifties at the earliest.

Can anyone confirm?

Regards from Vancouver

Not sure ICI exists anymore, the chemicals company that was once a giant of British industry, agreed to be taken over by its Dutch rival Akzo Nobel in 2007, may be harder than you think to track down a knowledgeable, helpful PR function

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold

Hi guys 

Thank you for the quick response. Mr Chuffer is correct, ICI is no more....hence the difficulty. I found its demise quite incredible...it was such a huge conglomerate with its vast Headquarters at Millbank(?).

I missed that photo Jason....thank you. Thats very encouraging it will not be the first time I have shed a year:D

Best wishes

John

4 hours ago, john dew said:

I have a rather nice rake of ICI tankers in Teal green with the roundel logo but I have a nasty feeling that 1948 is too early for them

I have googled in vain for a definitive answer but I do get the sense that it was mid fifties at the earliest.

Can anyone confirm?

Regards from Vancouver

Hi There,

The chap to ask is @Porcy Mane He has been most helpful to me previously.

Gibbo.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium

Hi,

Can't get to my books at this precise moment, but I am sure that one of David Larkin's books on non-pool stock 48-68 suggests that the roundel appeared on wagons post-WWII.  Hope to be able to check in the morning.

Regards,

Alex.

• Thanks 1

A point to be aware of is that ICI was notorious for varying the roundel logo in incredibly subtle ways, usually after spending large sums with 'image consultants' and the like. The precise font, the exact shade of blue, how wiggly the waves were, and so on. You have to be a nerd to notice (so why did they bother?) but our hobby by definition embraces nerds!

• Like 1

Info from the Brunner Mond facebook group is that the roundel was first introduced in 1929, registered on 12th November but it wasn't until 1947 that there was a big push to use the roundel as a marketing tool and so wagons were an ideal means of promoting the I.C.I. company image and name. In fact the roundel is derived from the original Nobel Industries roundel logo with I C I replacing the Nobel, and the first stroke of the N breaking the circle. Some of the works steam locomotives wore the roundel on their boilers like 0-4-0 "CROOKES"

HTH Paul

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

Thanks Paul

Thats great thank you

It was a very effective logo in the sense that it was almost timeless and thus able to last for many decades without looking dated.

Now I just have to find room in my storage yard so I can actually run the rake.

Thanks again

Regards

John

• Like 1

Hi John, no problem here is an extract of the article that appeared in the Alkali News from Feb 1962. Plus there were different versions of the roundel too with two or three wavy lines according to the comments. Sachi & Sachi were commissioned to redesign the ICI logo, possibly in the late 70’s to a design with a smoother wave and a dark blue background. 
Azko Nobel now own all the rights to the logos and hence still having Dulux paint tins.

Cheers Paul

FB_IMG_1592235415789.jpg

Edited by pharrc20
typo
  • Informative/Useful 2