NCE power outage issue which baffles me!

On 25/06/2020 at 07:24, F-UnitMad said:

From what I can make out, the track laid out in reality doesn't entirely match the trackplan; I can see a diamond crossing in the photo that I can't see on the plan.

The rear loops at the top aren't in focus enough to check, but are you absolutely certain you haven't inadvertently created a return loop up there with the crossovers?

Still intrigued about how on earth you reach the far corners, or how you intend to reach them once they're covered in scenery.

Hiya,

correct, I made some changes but nothing structural or that will make a change to electrical circuit.... i havent created a return loop :-(

i get to the corners as i left a foot on each of the far sides so all i have to do is bend down and go underneath the boards... get a backache but its worth it :-) 

yes even with nothing running, its still cuts out intermittently... i tried breaking the link of the track to see if it helps however the voltage spiked on the end of the track does this make sense?

Perhaps you could expand on this, what exactly are you disconnecting and how are you measuring this spike? Do you mean a visible spark?

This is the only mention I can see in your posts that hints at a problem.

I have just had a closer look at the photograph of your layout and I am just wondering what the black blobs are which appear alongside the track in various places.  Are these Hornby power connectors by any chance?

Here's a funny thing.  I just wired my 7mm layout.  With powercab everything runs great.  We installed the SB5 today and had an issue with the sole Peco turnout on the layout.  Voltage drops fro 13 VAC to ~ 4 V, even with the frog polarity disconnected.  We checked a few of my handbuilt turnouts and they are good.

We suspect somethings going on under the Peco turnout so I will lift that and investigate further.

Maybe a clue here.

John