Llanbourne North Wales in the 80s.

P.C.M

Merf got to climb all the signals due to his job. I, as honorary assistant to a well known and well liked lampman (many years ago now), only got to climb the ones on his patch between Colwyn and Prestatyn. Happy days that come as much from another age as the tales my elders told me me about their days.

• Like 1

Wind straight up from the sea, yes it certainly did.

Merf.

Rather you than me, though I could have been tempted for a shot like that. Shame most of the semaphores have gone.

Cheers Peter.

• Like 1

Merf got to climb all the signals due to his job. I, as honorary assistant to a well known and well liked lampman (many years ago now), only got to climb the ones on his patch between Colwyn and Prestatyn. Happy days that come as much from another age as the tales my elders told me me about their days.

That would have been great Larry though I bet you wouldn't get away with it these days what with OH&S.

Cheers Peter.

• Like 1

Not much happening on the layout at the moment but I have a few things on the go on the workbench. More details can be found in my workbench thread, which I have started partly for my reference as I tend to forget how I did things.

Cheers Peter.

post-7022-0-30307900-1342095108_thumb.jpg

post-7022-0-24442300-1342095134_thumb.jpg

post-7022-0-75777200-1342095163_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

Hi Peter,

Both models look great, I especially like the 31! That's how I remember them best will need a few like that for my next layout!

Thanks

Mark

Hi Mark,

Thanks, the class 31s did get a bit dirty, you can't beat a Ped on a short rake of MK1s.

Cheers Peter.

• Like 2

Hi All

Great to see some of the older Photo's now I live that way in Caernarfon...

excellent Layout to...

Jamie

Thanks Jamie,

Not much to report at the moment, I have a few things on the go but haven't done anything to the layout for a while. I should get out there and blow the cobwebs off and have a running session.

Cheers Peter.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Yes, get outside in the Australian winter cold, Peter! What's the temperature - I bet it's not much below the UK at the mo. And remember, running trains is more important than sitting watching the Olympics! Lol.

Thanks for the comments about KL's viaducts. Much appreciated.

Best wishes,

Jeff

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
Whales in Abergavenny

Abergavenny is in Wales not the other way around ;)

Those marine creatures which have lent their names to engineering wagons seem to know no bounds. Tope, Tench, Ling, Grampus, even Mermaid and many more. All in the name of telegraphic convenience before TOPS came along.

I can only imagine the temperature inside your shed Peter but if it's anything like it is up the road in the open it's been almost double figures overnight rising to a balmy 15 in full sun! Reckon we need to team up and get Jeff out here for a look around the DURM / Blackburn Hijack Mob / BRMA layouts.

And it's always good to catch up on your progress even if it can be a bit slow in mid-winter.

• Like 1

Yes, get outside in the Australian winter cold, Peter! What's the temperature - I bet it's not much below the UK at the mo. And remember, running trains is more important than sitting watching the Olympics! Lol.

Thanks for the comments about KL's viaducts. Much appreciated.

Best wishes,

Jeff

Hi Jeff,

No worries re the viaducts.

I just posted on your thread about the weather, it's really not that bad most days get to about 14/15 and there has been a bit of rain but some sunny spells too. The Olympics coverage on TV is pretty average it's better listening on the radio out in the garage. I was going to go out there tonight but my daughter wanted me to watch a DVD "A few best men" piss funny if you haven't seen it.

Cheers Peter.

• Like 1

Abergavenny is in Wales not the other way around ;)

Those marine creatures which have lent their names to engineering wagons seem to know no bounds. Tope, Tench, Ling, Grampus, even Mermaid and many more. All in the name of telegraphic convenience before TOPS came along.

I can only imagine the temperature inside your shed Peter but if it's anything like it is up the road in the open it's been almost double figures overnight rising to a balmy 15 in full sun! Reckon we need to team up and get Jeff out here for a look around the DURM / Blackburn Hijack Mob / BRMA layouts.

And it's always good to catch up on your progress even if it can be a bit slow in mid-winter.

Hi Rick,

It's funny you mention the marine names for wagons, we still used those names over the TOPS code when I was on the railway on the 90s.

The temp in the garage the last few weeks hasn't been to bad, when I go out there in the evening it's normally about 10 but I put the heater on and it takes the chill off.

Hopefully in the next week I will have something finished. If Jeff or any other RMwebbers do come over to Oz we could sure show a few layouts.

Cheers Peter.

Edited by P.C.M
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Hi Jeff,

No worries re the viaducts.

I just posted on your thread about the weather, it's really not that bad most days get to about 14/15 and there has been a bit of rain but some sunny spells too. The Olympics coverage on TV is pretty average it's better listening on the radio out in the garage. I was going to go out there tonight but my daughter wanted me to watch a DVD "A few best men" piss funny if you haven't seen it.

Cheers Peter.

Peter, just be grateful you don't have the saturation Olympics coverage of the BBC! I'm a fan, and proud to be British, but the BBC has over 20 channels set up so you can watch every sport 24/7. Better to watch your DVD - I will look it up!

I always think it's amazing that we can talk about such mundane things, even though we are about 11000 miles apart!

Off to muse about baseboard risers!!

Cheers,

Jeff

• Like 2

Hi Peter,

My copy of Traction magazine arrived yesterday and I noticed your article in it. Am going to save it for the hols, which start tomorrow. Yippee!

Keep up the good work.

Cheers,

Dave

PS 14/15 degrees would be a fairly reasonable summer's day over here right now! It's actually not a bad day here today and the temperature is soaring to 17/18.

• Like 1

Peter, just be grateful you don't have the saturation Olympics coverage of the BBC! I'm a fan, and proud to be British, but the BBC has over 20 channels set up so you can watch every sport 24/7. Better to watch your DVD - I will look it up!

I always think it's amazing that we can talk about such mundane things, even though we are about 11000 miles apart!

Off to muse about baseboard risers!!

Cheers,

Jeff

Hi Jeff,

I tried to reply the other day but t computer had a bit of a fit.

Anyway nice to see the Brits winning a few medals, hope you sorted your baseboard risers.

Cheers Peter.

• Like 1

Hi Peter,

My copy of Traction magazine arrived yesterday and I noticed your article in it. Am going to save it for the hols, which start tomorrow. Yippee!

Keep up the good work.

Cheers,

Dave

PS 14/15 degrees would be a fairly reasonable summer's day over here right now! It's actually not a bad day here today and the temperature is soaring to 17/18.

Thanks Dave, enjoy the article and have a good holiday.

We had a couple of cold days this week, when I went to work the other morning it was only 5 degrees, I thnk the top for that day was only 12, the temp soon drops of once the sun starts to head off to you guys. Sunny today though would have got to 15 easy.

Cheers Peter.

• Like 2

Nice spread in Traction Peter. Got some cracking photos in there. ;)

What's the story with the sheep on the 37? Was it a Landore 'mascot'?

Hi Mate,

Nice to hear from you, glad you like the article.

The sheep on the class 37 was something that some Cardiff Canton based 37 locos had painted on.

Cheers Peter.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Peter, really good article in Traction. I especially liked the opening paragraphs describing the movements, I felt like I was actually there! Quality.

Great to see Llanborne in print and I thoroughly enjoyed reading the article.

Hi Alex,

Thanks mate, glad you enjoyed it. I haven't seen it myself yet, I might have to get a copy when I come over next month.

Cheers Peter.

• Like 1

Do you have definite plans now Pete, and maybe we could meet up as discussed previously?

Hi Ian,

Flights sorted and some dates I will PM you over the next few days, but Barrow Hill on the 22nd Sept and Farham on the 7th of Oct are looking good.

Cheers Peter.

• Like 1