RMweb

Llanbourne North Wales in the 80s.

P.C.M

Fantastic news Peter, be good to meet you at barrow hill at model rail live.

Have a safe journey

Hi Neil,

Thanks, yes I am quite looking forwards to coming up to Barrow Hill, it will be good to catch up and with any other RMwebers going.

Cheers Peter.

For the first time in probably over a year a new loco is almost ready to enter service on Llanbourne. 31403 is all but finished and I couldn't resist a quick test run.

Cheers Peter.

post-7022-0-99033300-1345462917_thumb.jpg

post-7022-0-37342900-1345462940_thumb.jpg

• Like 12

Hi Peter

The 31 looks superb, great job, what did you do to it to change it from the out the box model??

Thanks Neil,

There is some info on what I have done to the model on my workbench thread, but if you need any more info let me know.

Cheers Peter.

Hi Peter, quality, absolute quality. Reminds me of when we used to see them on the Birmingham to Norwich services........

Lovely weathering, she looks just as I remember them! Great work Sir.

Thanks Alex,

I remember going to Norwich before they were replaced with plastic though the locos we saw that day were all referbished 31/4s which is what I want to do next I have the loco I just need to paint it blue.

Cheers Peter.

Hi Peter,

That 31 is fantastic, really does look at home on your layout and very much the condition I remember them best working around Barrow! Are you going to make it up to Scotland when you come over?

All the best

Mark

Thanks Mark,

I am pretty pleased with it, I want to do a referbished one now with orange cantrail line.

Yes we are planning to go to Scotland should be near you about Oct 17th 18th.

Cheers Peter.

Its in the current/latest edition. Worth a purchase... :sungum:

Thanks Alex, It's Issue number 205.

Here are a couple of pics that didn't make it.

Cheers Peter.

post-7022-0-48686600-1345898699_thumb.jpg

post-7022-0-25665500-1345898724_thumb.jpg

post-7022-0-82951100-1345898853_thumb.jpg

• Like 15

My Limited edition Trans-Pennine coach pack arrived last week, I finally got the chance to take a pic of them today. Lovely looking coaches though I don't think the roofs were black so I might have to repaint them. Problem is I think I will have to sell off my Hornby MK2s now.

Cheers Peter.

post-7022-0-49558300-1345899439_thumb.jpg

post-7022-0-35989700-1345899486_thumb.jpg

post-7022-0-74414800-1345899508_thumb.jpg

post-7022-0-10014300-1345899532_thumb.jpg

• Like 13

My Limited edition Trans-Pennine coach pack arrived last week...............though I don't think the roofs were black so I might have to repaint them.

I wouldnt worry too much about the black roofs on coaches Pete. They got that way no matter what colour they left Works. I now do all mine black unless I am recreating an ex-works vehicle. The only roofs that weren't black in North Wales were the ones that were left in Holyhead at weekends and got covered in seagull sh*t. :biggrin_mini2:

Edited by coachmann
  • Like 3

• RMweb Premium

I'd just try to take the plastic sheen off with powders or paint and perhaps introduce a few irregularities in the overall colour. But in general I agree with the above and would prefer that RtR coaches had darker roof panels than the usual Bachmann pale grey.

That 31 looks spot on Pete.........how did you achieve the faded blue look so effectively ?

Cheers Phill

Hi Phill,

Always good to hear from you, :good: As with most things I sort of just muddled through, I added some very thinned white to some areas as I didn't want to get to carried away, then when I sprayed varnish on the roof on my class 37 and it all went a bit wrong I tried some Tamiya varnish which worked a treat but lightens up the paint and gives it a faded look as I think some varnishes tend to do. Had I not wanted a slightly faded look on the class 37 I would have had to try something else but it looked pretty good. So I sprayed the roof on the class 31 then did the body sides, one bit looked a bit too faded so I just brushed on a bit of grime.

I fitted the ETH cables last night so the old girl is ready to work it's first train, I just need to clean my track I haven't had a running session since March.

Cheers Peter.

I wouldnt worry too much about the black roofs on coaches Pete. They got that way no matter what colour they left Works. I now do all mine black unless I am recreating an ex-works vehicle. The only roofs that weren't black in North Wales were the ones that were left in Holyhead at weekends and got covered in seagull sh*t. :biggrin_mini2:

Hi Larry,

On my other coaches I have done the roofs pretty dark so I think I will try and match them I might be able to just lighten then up a tad. What colour do you use for ex-works coaches?

I don't get any seagull shi*t in the garage but the spiders do a pretty good scale version. lol

Cheers Peter.

I'd just try to take the plastic sheen off with powders or paint and perhaps introduce a few irregularities in the overall colour. But in general I agree with the above and would prefer that RtR coaches had darker roof panels than the usual Bachmann pale grey.

Hi Rick,

You are getting some good results with the powders I need to give it a go myself. Have to agree re the Bachmann grey I repainted my MK1s darker after sanding down the oversized ribs, which still show up a bit too much.

Just been checking the price of the new Bachmann MK2s 24.00 quid !!!! I might rethink selling my old Hornby ones.

Cheers Peter.

Hi Phill,

Always good to hear from you, :good: As with most things I sort of just muddled through, I added some very thinned white to some areas as I didn't want to get to carried away, then when I sprayed varnish on the roof on my class 37 and it all went a bit wrong I tried some Tamiya varnish which worked a treat but lightens up the paint and gives it a faded look as I think some varnishes tend to do. Had I not wanted a slightly faded look on the class 37 I would have had to try something else but it looked pretty good. So I sprayed the roof on the class 31 then did the body sides, one bit looked a bit too faded so I just brushed on a bit of grime.

I fitted the ETH cables last night so the old girl is ready to work it's first train, I just need to clean my track I haven't had a running session since March.

Cheers Peter.

Hi Pete :D

Good to hear from you as well mate, I always look forward to keeping up to date with your thread, I will post some updates on a new thread of my line on here at some point.

Sorry to hear you have not been running since March, I have managed a few running sessions myself between the constant rain of the British summer :rolleyes: , you can see some bits of film of these running sessions on my YouTube channel here : http://www.youtube.c...ht?feature=mhee ( i won't post direct links to the films as I don't wish to hijack your thread)

I have had one or two disasters myself with matt varnish over weathering, I'm told Dulcote is very good but I have not tried it myself.

The faded blue look has eluded me so far, I will try very thinned coats of white next time I have a weathering job to do, your 31 looks great, I'm undecided whether to get a 7mm Heljan 31 or 33 at the moment.......I would like the Heljan Western (been saving for ages) but having seen the pre-production pics I'm a little unsure :dontknow:

All the best

Phill :good:

Hi Phill,

I will look out for your thread I always enjoyed reading what you were up to, though it didn't help my trying not to get into 7mm.

I often go for some time not running Llanbourne, for one it stops me getting bored with it plus I have been sorting the backscene and working on a few locos. The weather here will start to improve over the next few weeks so I might give the layout a dust down and clean the track though I might wait until I am back from the Uk.

I think my problems with varnish is that I use it from a spray can and not my airbrush which has been sat at a friends place for a few years now, I need to get a new one but I keep buying more stock.

I think the Heljan Crompton looks great but you have a nice Lima one that you did a fair bit of work on, and as much as I like my class 33s I would be tempted with the class 31. Will you be tempted with a Dapol class 08 when it comes out? I think I will.lol

Cheers Peter.

• Like 1

Hi Peter,

Not too Baaad! Lol!

Those two locos are fantastic and continue to add to the superb scene overall on your layout. The paintwork, dirt and grime on that 37 are very realistic. I don't think I've seen the sheep modelled before but it is a nice little detail to capture.

Excellent work as usual.

Mark

Guest jim s-w

Nice work Peter. the weathering is believable because its subtle. We see a lot of weathering that looks like a tank off road.

Cheers

Jim

• Like 2