Llanbourne North Wales in the 80s.

P.C.M

• RMweb Premium

I also hard wired two Bachmann Peaks and a Lima class 40. One of the Peaks runs a different way though, but I am sure that could be fixed.

Hi Pete, if you've hardwired them just changeover the grey and orange wires to the motor connections. All my diesels run Forwards with the big roof fan leading, it helps if they all do the same as you don't need to see the lights to know which way it will go!

Great pics by the way.

• Like 1

Hi Peter,
Thanks for the photos! I've missed them. Up to the usual standard, Especially the one with the 08.

I'm sure you can change around a CV too if you want to reverse the direction but I'm unable to check at the moment as I'm at work.( shhhh)  

At least Ian's tip is probably more straight forward.

Cheers

Scott

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

I'm sure you can change around a CV too if you want to reverse the direction

Add one to the value in CV29 if I remember correctly, I've had to do it on my 3 early Bachmann 37s that seem to go the wrong way when fitted with a chip compared to all other locos!

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

i have to say that this layout is my most favorite on rmweb.i love the br blue era and the detail you have added is mind blowing.

can i ask what the lines of wire are that run beside the track and how you built them?

terry

They represent the mechanical rods operating the points - I'll leave the "How I built them" to the builder.

• Like 1

Pete, I hink youo will gain an extra level of satisfaction on the sound and chip fitting. I am sorry i will miss you at the next BRMA meeting.... talk to SRman about sound he has done a heap and getting some great sound out of them!

Will try to catch up soon

Thanks Lee, I am pretty happy with 31323, 31s always seemed to get really grubby.

Hi Arnie, Thanks mate I do like my 20s. 169 and 121 are actually modelled in the condition I saw them in in 92 when I went to Barnetby, by this time they both had ploughs fitted which wasn't the case during the 80s.

Modellers licence well and truly being waved there Larry, It's a pitty they didn't get along the Coast being as some were based at Chester, though my model was a Newton Heath based machine so probably never got near North Wales.

Thanks Ian & Scott, I will change the wires over as I need to take the body off again to move the chip as it's pushing the roof fan up and it's touching the grille. Useful to know I can change the CVs though.

Hi Lee, You have seen her before it's 97407 40012. I only have the two D200 being the other one. Hopefully Bachmanns 40 will be out soon as I want to do 40060 and 40135 as 97s.

Thanks Terry, As Beast said it's point rodding, I bought MSE rodding stools and cranks then used them as a template to make my own from plasticard, the actual rodding is Evergreen plasticard rod. I read an article in an old Railway constructor which gave the basics on how point rodding works there was also an article in the MRJ on modelling point rodding which was a great help. It's a real pain to do but well worth the effort.

Hi Doug, Pitty you can't make the next meeting, I am going but will have to leave early, it will be interesting to see what Roger has been up to. I am sure I will be talking to Jeff re sound chips. Hopefully he will bring his new Zimo sound class 33.

Cheers Peter. 

Jeff who???? ;)

I intend being at Roger's meeting next week. I'll try to remember to bring the 33 to show off, although i still want to try more speaker variations and combinations before I finalise the installation.

Coming in a bit late here but the other guys earlier were right about reversing the loco's default direction. Swapping the orange and grey wires to the brushes is the real answer but adding 1 to CV29's value will also work (assuming CV29 wasn't already reversed, in which case subtracting 1 would be the answer!).

Great photos of great modelling skills as always, Peter. Your layout and models are quite rightly admired by many on the forums ... and in the BRMA.  :)

Hi Lee, You have seen her before it's 97407 40012. I only have the two D200 being the other one. Hopefully Bachmanns 40 will be out soon as I want to do 40060 and 40135 as 97s.

Hey Peter, the 40 just looked different, so I thought you had a new visitor.

40060 and 135 will look good here on Llanbourne, I shall look forward to seeing those.

I really rated 40060, it's such a pity that she wasn't preserved as well.  If only I could wind the clock back, or get a time machine to change that :(

The whistling wardrobes look good too, always like them in that faded worn state.  Please keep the pics coming.

Cheers

Lee

Jeff who???? ;)

I intend being at Roger's meeting next week. I'll try to remember to bring the 33 to show off, although i still want to try more speaker variations and combinations before I finalise the installation.

Coming in a bit late here but the other guys earlier were right about reversing the loco's default direction. Swapping the orange and grey wires to the brushes is the real answer but adding 1 to CV29's value will also work (assuming CV29 wasn't already reversed, in which case subtracting 1 would be the answer!).

Great photos of great modelling skills as always, Peter. Your layout and models are quite rightly admired by many on the forums ... and in the BRMA.   :)

Hi Jeff,

I will catch up with you at Rogers, look forwards to seeing your Crompton.

Cheers Peter.

Hey Peter, the 40 just looked different, so I thought you had a new visitor.

40060 and 135 will look good here on Llanbourne, I shall look forward to seeing those.

I really rated 40060, it's such a pity that she wasn't preserved as well.  If only I could wind the clock back, or get a time machine to change that :(

The whistling wardrobes look good too, always like them in that faded worn state.  Please keep the pics coming.

Cheers

Lee

Hi Lee,

I only saw 40060 a couple of times, living down South ment that I didn't get to see many class 40s. The few I did see I remember really well. I remember 40060 being withdrawn and cut up in weeks while some had been sat for years waiting to be cut up. If you do find a time machine come via Oz and pick me up, we could go for a bit of class 40 haulage.

Cheers Peter.

Back in the day I used to buy the Rail Enthuiast mag, and while taking a few pics the other night I took a B&W picture that reminded me of the ones that used to appear in the Mag.

Remember those little B&W pics of rare workings, and the caption below the pic telling you what you had missed.

On February 9th and 10th Llanbourne's  resident Station Pilot 08695 was sent to Crewe for attention and no replacement 08 was sent out. The yard Pilot 08472 did do some stock moves but most of the work was done by 97407 ex 40012.

Happily Whistling away in Llanbourne's platform 2 is 97407, about to take out the stock from the Ex 1M53 York.

Cheers Peter. 

post-7022-0-48499200-1360625855_thumb.jpg

• Like 9

Thanks Mark,

I am going ok with the DCC I can chip locos no problem and change CV 2 to get them running well. The class 47 fitted with the Bachmann 21 pin decoder have to have function 3 'Shunt mode' on to make them run well though.

I haven't played with the settings on my sound stuff yet but will get around to it. I need to get a Speaker for my Biffo chipped 33 so once I have done that I might start playing around with the others.

Cheers Peter.

Thanks Rob,

I quite like the livery, I might get myself another one some day and do it in blue.

Cheers Peter.

Like this Peter, I knew I had a picture of one somewhere, just found it.  Taken at the Junction about 1980. I think heading for Bangor about 16.00, as it was as I went home from work via the footbridge, a regular about that time.

Merf.

post-1625-0-47395500-1360684422_thumb.jpg

• Like 8

Like this Peter, I knew I had a picture of one somewhere, just found it.  Taken at the Junction about 1980. I think heading for Bangor about 16.00, as it was as I went home from work via the footbridge, a regular about that time.

Merf.

attachicon.gifImage1-17.jpg

Nice one Merf,

No reason why a 128 might not turn up at Llanbourne with a 101.

Cheers Peter.

• Like 1

It really sounds as if you are getting the hang of the DCC thing, Peter. If we had asked you six months ago to change CVs to alter starting voltage or tweak the top speed or even change the direction of travel, would you have even known what they were, let alone believed you would be chatting quite happily explaining what you did to improve running on locomotive XX in the Llanbourne topic?  ;)

• Like 1

It really sounds as if you are getting the hang of the DCC thing, Peter. If we had asked you six months ago to change CVs to alter starting voltage or tweak the top speed or even change the direction of travel, would you have even known what they were, let alone believed you would be chatting quite happily explaining what you did to improve running on locomotive XX in the Llanbourne topic?   ;)

Thanks Jeff,

Great to catch up with you on saturday, I still have a lot to work out. Nothing happening today as its a bit warm.

Cheers Peter.