Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Identifying a King and a Castle

SP Steve

Hopefully someone may be able to help me identify the following engines - withdrawn 'King' at Woodhams and a 'Castle' seen at Cardiff Central (may be wrong even on this point mind).

Other than that I can't really add much else but someone may be able to put flesh on the bones!

Edited by SP Steve
Spelling Correction

• RMweb Gold

Have a quick look at the leading bogie, Steve. The Castle will have its all 4 wheels exposed. The King, on the other hand, will have the leading bogie as a special case, with both inside & outside framing, with a distinctive 'joggle' between the first & second wheels. 

The Castle bogie also applies to Stars.

Hope that helps,

Ian.

• Informative/Useful 1

The Castle has a second row on the nameplate probably for Castle Class. Looks like two words above - first word longer?

My guesses is Viscount Horne 5086 or Viscount Portal 7000 based on name shape alone. 

Will

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

The Castle is one of the ones with Castle Class on the plates. It has a two word name. I don't think it's an Abbey.

I've a feeling it's either Fairey Battle or Lockheed Hudson as it's a later version with the boxy inside cylinder cover.

Although it could be a Viscount as mentioned above. Forgot about those.

Jason

Edited by Steamport Southport
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold

I reckon the 'Castle' is most likely 5091, 'Cleeve Abbey'. although the first word on the nameplate could be a bit long.  But it has the low position cabside handrail anda. cab roof vent, as on 5091, plus the lubricator in the right place for that livery.   'Cleeve Abbey' was a South Wales engine at various sheds over the years plus the only view of it I can find show it with a Collett tender.

5077 'Fairey Battle' - also a South Wales engine  but it had the cabside handrail in the usual place

Edited by The Stationmaster
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, The Stationmaster said:

I reckon the 'Castle' is most likely 5091, 'Cleeve Abbey'. although the first word on the nameplate could be a bit long.  But it has the low position cabside handrail anda. cab roof vent, as on 5091, plus the lubricator in the right place for that livery.   'Cleeve Abbey' was a South Wales engine at various sheds over the years plus the only view of it I can find show it with a Collett tender.

5077 'Fairey Battle' - also a South Wales engine  but it had the cabside handrail in the usual place

Many thanks for all the help - I will try and do a better scan as the first one was a little rushed.

Looking at the nameplate the last letter of the first word is 'E' but hopefully a better scan will endorse 'Cleeve Abbey' as the likely candidate.

I've redone the scan at a higher resolution and sharpened it up slightly - the nameplate's first word would appear to end in 'VE' so many thanks to Stationmaster for your help.

Here's the full image - I presume 'Z43' was a special working but would it have originated on the Western region or would it have come from further afield? (my carriage recognition skills are on a par with my GWR loco knowledge).

Edited by SP Steve