Ettinsmoor

signalmaintainer

Paul,

When I next get down to the Seattle area, I will try and bring what paperwork I have here about CKP in the 50's. Granddad lived in Deescales for ~30 years, I was born in Whitehaven because mum had decamped to be with grandmum while our house in North Wales was being rebuilt. (~1976). I have a very small amount of stuff from Granddad's collection- most of it went to someone in Cockermouth shortly after his death.

Being that I'm a bit closer than some of the other offers of help, might be nice to see you at some point. If you travel up here (Vancouver Island), let me know, you'd be welcome to come have a visit out here if I am home. (I'm in the Canadian Navy, so tend to be in one of two modes: Here, and Not Here)

James Powell

James, I would very much enjoy meeting you. I'm working in Seattle now, having bid back up to the Seattle Signal construction crew based at Interbay, so that would make a rendezvous that much easier. Being on the Tacoma crew was becoming a drag -- too much time on the road in hotels. I know a bit what you mean about Here and Not Here.

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Gold

Here are some photos from May 2009 posted on RMWeb Mk. III. Progress has been plodding, but steady.

4646914687_106a0e2cb1.jpg

I do like my Hornby 2P, and in lieu of awaiting for a proper locomotive chassis drive to appear, I'm considering looking into a Bull Ant drive for the tender. Still have to do my research on wheelbase and wheel size, but perhaps it's an option?

One of the Bull Ant drives is exactly right for the 2P - I believe George Dent carried out the conversion in a fairly recent issue of Model Rail. I have a Bull Ant (possibly the same wheelbase) that I ordered to go into a Schools class tender, but I haven't done the swap yet. I ordered a belt drive version and it is a very nice, smooth-running mechanism.

I have a couple of 2Ps and aside from the noise and cogging at low speeds, I find they run fairly well. Considering their vintage they are still very convincing models from an appearance point of view.

• 4 weeks later...

How did I miss this until today ??? blink.gif

Great layout concept, well captured atmosphere and a superb choice of prototype region. I think you can possibly live without diesels in fairness, although a Derby LW would make sense. As a trip loco have you considered a humble 350hp shunter? In subtle green grot this and the LW could be the real minimalist approach to embracing the Modernisation Plan. Failing that and despite your misgivings, the 17 would be the boy (and they are sweet runners these days) tongue.gif

How did I miss this until today ??? blink.gif

Great layout concept, well captured atmosphere and a superb choice of prototype region. I think you can possibly live without diesels in fairness, although a Derby LW would make sense. As a trip loco have you considered a humble 350hp shunter? In subtle green grot this and the LW could be the real minimalist approach to embracing the Modernisation Plan. Failing that and despite your misgivings, the 17 would be the boy (and they are sweet runners these days) tongue.gif

Thanks, Chard!

I've decided to keep to an all-steam format. With the Ivatt 2MT due to arrive any day, the Jinty on the local goods, and a Standard 5Mt assigned to the occasional quarry train -- well, that's enough motive power for such a small layout.

Focusing now on some scenery in advance of taking steps forward with the digital camera. Fifteen years ago this was a snap (no pun intended) with my trusty SLR and tungsten film under very hot 3600K lamps. Technology has passed me by a tad -- time to catch up!

• 2 months later...

You say you've never been to Cumbria? That's brave! What you've achieved so far looks very good, I can't judge on any kind of local landscape or rolling stock issues as the last time I was anywhere that part of the world was when I was knee high to a grass hopper, as for British rolling stock I just don't have a clue, being a jolly foreigner living in London...

I'm working (monumental slowness) on an Austrian layout and decided that in order to make it look right I should at least visit. The visit not only told me that original plan was completely daft, but gave me great inspiration for a much better layout (which is what I'm building now). If you get the chance, do come over, it'll be an eye opener. Photo's never show those little details quite so well.

• 1 year later...
  • RMweb Premium

A blast from the past here, but I remember seeing this thread a long time ago and (somehow) a series of links led me to it again today. Has there been any progress with this layout at all?

The Lyth Valley is an area I know pretty well, having grown up in a village on the Kent Estuary. I know it says above that you have never visited the area but with a little bit of a history rewrite, your layout in it's original location could be feasible (if you move further down the valley). Rather than build the Arnside to Hincaster branch via Sandside, the FR could have opted to build the line from Meathop (North of Grange Over Sands) and rejoined the Lancaster - Carlisle (WCML) between Sedgwick and Natland, about 2 miles South of Oxenholme. If that had happened, I imagine that Levens Village would have had a station and there may well have been a line to the limestone quarry at the foot of Whitbarrow Scar, near Gilpin Bridge. Much like the railway that did exist between Arnside and Hincaster, this line would have followed the course of the Kent Estuary at just above sea level until reaching Levens, where it would have either followed the River Kent up past Levens Park, or headed through cuttings directly towards Sedgwick.

You would feasibly be able to use the traffic that traversed the Arnside - Hincaster (local passenger until the early 40's, ECS for the Lakes excursion traffic between Lakeside and Windermere (whilst the passengers ambled up the lake on a steamer), local goods, quarry traffic and of course, a constant flow of Coke traffic from Tebay to Barrow, after it had passed over the Stainmore route from the North East.

Well that sets my imagination to churning, Sandside! Many thanks! And I've been cogitating much of late over the next phase, the actual location on the WCML where the branch would diverge from the main.

And, yes, there's been quite a bit of progress, especially on the scenic side. However, I've been quite remiss in posting any new photos. In fact, my nagging conscience on this matter is beginning to more resemble Jacob Marley's voice to Scrooge: Every time I go into the layout room it calls out to me, reminding me of my slothfulness and demanding I at least document the progress.

Ok, then, I commit to posting something this weekend. I'm not on call for work, so I should have a reasonably clear slate!

• RMweb Premium

Not sure if you have seen it yet (or already have it), but the Cumbrian Railway Association have recently published a book called "A Cumbrian Railway Album", which is full to the brim of stunning photos of railways in the county, including quite a few of the Arnside to Hincaster branch, complete with 4F's on coke trains and a Black Five hauling a 10 coach excursion train over the Bela Viaduct (not to be confused with the Belah Viaduct on the Stainmore route). I've also seen photos of Jubilees doing the same; a prototype of express length passenger trains hauled by large locomotives on a single track branch.

The ISBN code for the book is ISBN 978-0 9540232-8-7.

By the way, here (here"]http://www.flickr.co...973820097/) is a photo of Levens Village which would have been taken from what is now the A590, but would have realistically been where a station may have been sited. As can be seen, the terrain you have already modelled is not a million miles away from this, e.g. low lying hills. The estuary is about 1/2 mile behind the photographer at this point and the River Kent, before it becomes tidal, has curved away from the photographer, to his right.

As promised, new photos as of today. My glacial pace not withstanding, the layout is coming together. And yes, there are figures awaiting installation. And I'll have some shots of the station buildings soon, too.

The afternoon passenger service from Ettinsmoor passes the station's fixed distant signal. Looks like the track gang needs to replace some ballast!

med_gallery_6937_1897_451110.jpg

A quiet moment after the departure of the afternoon passenger service. The only activity seems to be the Royal Mail being loaded.

med_gallery_6937_1897_769362.jpg

The local passenger service is moments away from getting a clear signal at the Ettinsmoor starter.

med_gallery_6937_1897_234463.jpg

The coal yard workers must be taking time for a cuppa. ...

med_gallery_6937_1897_361878.jpg

Not sure if you have seen it yet (or already have it), but the Cumbrian Railway Association have recently published a book called "A Cumbrian Railway Album", which is full to the brim of stunning photos of railways in the county, including quite a few of the Arnside to Hincaster branch, complete with 4F's on coke trains and a Black Five hauling a 10 coach excursion train over the Bela Viaduct (not to be confused with the Belah Viaduct on the Stainmore route). I've also seen photos of Jubilees doing the same; a prototype of express length passenger trains hauled by large locomotives on a single track branch.

The ISBN code for the book is ISBN 978-0 9540232-8-7.

By the way, here (http://www.flickr.co...973820097/) is a photo of Levens Village which would have been taken from what is now the A590, but would have realistically been where a station may have been sited. As can be seen, the terrain you have already modelled is not a million miles away from this, e.g. low lying hills. The estuary is about 1/2 mile behind the photographer at this point and the River Kent, before it becomes tidal, has curved away from the photographer, to his right.

Thanks for the book info and the photo, Sandside!

Guest Max Stafford

Great photos, Paul. It's not easy modelling a location from thousands of miles away, but you've really captured the essence here. Lovely job.

Dave.

• RMweb Premium

Agreed, it definitely has the feeling of Cumbria. If you are to stick with the original location, it is a limestone area so you may want to tone the colour of the dry stone walls down slightly and maybe add more brown and green (for the moss) to the tones. Here is a (albeit quite recently repaired) dry stone wall on Arnside Knott - the mix and contrast of colours in this short section is quite surprising:

http://lancashire.gr.../main/54008.jpg

• RMweb Premium

Echoing others' comments, first time I've seen this layout - via Gallery images - and have to agree with the excellence you've achieved.

The photos have a nice colour balance. I could just imagine standing in the station looking down the line. I'm a Cumbrian - you've done a good job here!

Did you make the trees or are they commercial?

Jeff

Thanks for the replies, everyone. It's so nice to know I haven't made a complete hash of attempting to model something a continent and an ocean away. There's much more to do, e.i., you probably noticed there is no home signal, and a cattle dock awaits the spot in the left-hand corner of the last photo.

Also, I do wonder what the signalman thinks about the catch points diverting into his box. ...Well, he best keep on his toes. :locomotive:

Physicsman, some of the trees are good ol' seafoam treated the usual way with ground foam. The trees at the end of station platform in the second photo are sagebrush armatures covered with polyfiber, shot with hairspray, then sprinkled with "leaves" made by Noch. Much fussier to make but I like the appearance better.

Sandside, I'll definitely have a go at toning down the gray of the walls. That bee has actually been in my bonnet for a while. Picking out some individual stones and a little dry-brushing with palette of different acrylic browns and brown-grays ought to do the trick.

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Premium

Paul, if the layout were to be based in Levens, you've been within 10 miles of the location. Carnforth is about 4 miles from the Cumbrian border, or Westmorland, as it should still be known :)

Hi. Like many others I too have just come across this thread. I am impressed by the track work and ballasting, puts mine to shame. I will be keeping an eye on this as it develops – but I hope it keeps its ‘open’ feeling – (I have trouble avoiding clutter!).

By the way the catch points from the engine shed point straight towards the signal box on my layout too.

Les

Many thanks, Paul and Les! And just as soon as I redo the facing stonework of the station platform, I'll post some pix of it as well, along with the "new look" stone walling. Toned down and dry-brushed with some fine ground foam for moss, it looks pretty good, I think.

And, Les, it's nice to know there's at least one other OO signal box in danger of becoming rubbish if the signalman or the engine crew don't mind their Ps and Qs. :O

Sandside, I like that name, Westmoreland. Heading for Google Earth now to find Carnforth and Levin on the map.

• RMweb Premium

Hi, Carnforth was always in Lancashire but the old county of Westmorland was in what is now Cumbria (formed from Westmorland, Cumberland and parts of both Lancashire and Yorkshire back in 1974). My birth certificate has Kendal, Westmorland on it and I, along with a lot of other people, still think of it as being Westmorland, Cumberland, etc.

In the past (usually whilst in London, where some people think that the rest of the UK is a figment of other people's imagination), when I've told people I am from Cumbria, they've asked me if that is in Wales so I took to saying 'The Lake District', even though the village I am from is outside the boundary of the National Park (which is on the other side of the Kent Estuary from Storth). Bloody Southerners :D

• RMweb Premium

Hi, Carnforth was always in Lancashire but the old county of Westmorland was in what is now Cumbria (formed from Westmorland, Cumberland and parts of both Lancashire and Yorkshire back in 1974). My birth certificate has Kendal, Westmorland on it and I, along with a lot of other people, still think of it as being Westmorland, Cumberland, etc.

In the past (usually whilst in London, where some people think that the rest of the UK is a figment of other people's imagination), when I've told people I am from Cumbria, they've asked me if that is in Wales so I took to saying 'The Lake District', even though the village I am from is outside the boundary of the National Park (which is on the other side of the Kent Estuary from Storth). Bloody Southerners :D

Quite agree, Sandside! I was born and grew up in Barrow-in-Furness, in north Lancashire til the 1974 changes. I get a bit fed up when somebody asks me if Barrow "is in Scotland". B****y hell...that's 80 miles away!

Nevertheless, Lancashire, Cumbria, Westmorland or Cumberland, it is really beautiful countryside and a fitting place for a layout - well done Paul. Were you originally from this "neck of the woods"?

Best wishes,

Jeff

Hello Jeff, no aside from a few hours in Mexico and a few trips to British Columbia, I've never been out of the continental U.S. (The rest of my family -- wife, siblings and parents -- have all traveled and even lived and worked overseas. I inherited the recessive home-body genes.)

That being said, my wife would love a second trip to England and I my first. I have a long list of heritage railways and other sites I'd like to visit. Nothing against London or any other of the large cities, but I want to see the countryside and Cumbria is atop the list with a journey on the S&C.

• RMweb Premium

That being said, my wife would love a second trip to England and I my first. I have a long list of heritage railways and other sites I'd like to visit. Nothing against London or any other of the large cities, but I want to see the countryside and Cumbria is atop the list with a journey on the S&C.

Excellent choice!! The layout I have planned - construction begins later this year - is very definitely S&C based. It's a fantastic route and I'm certain you would love it!

I hope you will continue to be inspired by Cumbria (and North Yorkshire) even if you stay at home!

Jeff

Carnforth to Skipton is an interesting journey ,and theLakeside and Haverthwaite Rly is worth a look combine that with a trip on Lal Ratty and you have a good three days trips.Carnforth to Barrow and then on to Carslyle ,back via S&C to Skipton ,the Midland Hotel Skipton opposite the station used to be a good place to stay.Lovely layout track looks brilliant and the space is great keep posting pics please. Chris.

Archived