Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

The Night Mail

Well I see we are back. Big congrats to Andy and the team. 

Today should be interesting. This evening I’m acting as a buyers agent for a friend of the family who wants a clock and I’m supposed to go select one for him from an estate, and my palm hath been crossed with silver. 

In other news, I’ve been gifted a 1950s craftsman Art Deco drill press and bandsaw, along with a spare 1950s GE electric motor. So I have a bit of restoring ahead of me. 

Douglas

• Like 9

• RMweb Gold
27 minutes ago, Florence Locomotive Works said:

Well I see we are back. Big congrats to Andy and the team. 

Today should be interesting. This evening I’m acting as a buyers agent for a friend of the family who wants a clock and I’m supposed to go select one for him from an estate, and my palm hath been crossed with silver. 

In other news, I’ve been gifted a 1950s craftsman Art Deco drill press and bandsaw, along with a spare 1950s GE electric motor. So I have a bit of restoring ahead of me. 

Douglas

He's been given $3000:

He got the watch for $300.

What's he going to do with the spare $2700.

A friend has said it would by a goodly pile of LDC🤣

• Like 1
  • Round of applause 1
  • Funny 9

• RMweb Premium

We're back again! While we were away I found an article on the web about CAKE but although I thought I'd saved it I now can't find it. To keep in touch with others from RMweb I opened a group on Facebook called 'The Diversion Line' for those suffering withdrawal symptoms. I will keep it open for a couple of weeks so people will be able to join. I will then archive the group which means that I can re-open the group if ever it becomes necessary.

• Like 8

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, Gwiwer said:

A small train or two might have moved and a new one might have arrived surreptitiously

A small loco arrived here this morning. It has already been taken apart and stuffed with some electronic devices. The tablets to control blood pressure and heart rate probably helped. Less stressful than a Wickham trolley though. 

• Like 7

• RMweb Gold
59 minutes ago, PhilJ W said:

We're back again! While we were away I found an article on the web about CAKE but although I thought I'd saved it I now can't find it. To keep in touch with others from RMweb I opened a group on Facebook called 'The Diversion Line' for those suffering withdrawal symptoms. I will keep it open for a couple of weeks so people will be able to join. I will then archive the group which means that I can re-open the group if ever it becomes necessary.

I've just sent in my membership application.

I apologize for the rather greasy edges around the cheque, but I have just got in from changing the rear nearside wheel of the car owned by the lady next door.

• Like 7
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Premium
19 minutes ago, Tony_S said:

A small loco arrived here this morning. It has already been taken apart and stuffed with some electronic devices. The tablets to control blood pressure and heart rate probably helped. Less stressful than a Wickham trolley though. 

I have found a 009 brake van body kit that looks as if it can replace the Wickham trolley wagon body. Its the same width but a bit longer but can easily be shortened.. I intend to add a radiator to represent two trolleys running back to back.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/325121723710?ViewItem=&item=325121723710

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold
18 minutes ago, New Haven Neil said:

Tony's scarily little loco made me go and play with this - I was supposed to be working in the garage and garden, but the trains are in the garage

Does that mean I am now one of those “social influencers?”

• Funny 6
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold
52 minutes ago, New Haven Neil said:

Tony's scarily little loco made me go and play with this - I was supposed to be working in the garage and garden, but the trains are in the garage.....

I'm sure it'll help cheer up the Squadron Leader. 🤪

I've passed it on, just in case he's not up to perusing the web.....

There has just been a very bright flash of light from his direction...

image.png.681395baf98406468253eaf21e714b9d.png

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Round of applause 1
  • Funny 10

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, PhilJ W said:

I clicked on "JOIN" so lets se what happens; note that my FB name is different from my RMweb name.

Hmmm, the new emojis are carp, I doubt that I will use them!

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium
5 hours ago, Florence Locomotive Works said:

...snip... In other news, I’ve been gifted a 1950s craftsman Art Deco drill press and bandsaw, along with a spare 1950s GE electric motor. So I have a bit of restoring ahead of me.

Douglas

Dad worked in Sears hardware for over 25 years. Sometime around 1964 or so, a customer came into the store and asked Dad if he could come over to his house and set up a table saw, band saw, and drill  press the he had bought from Dad earlier. Sure Dad said although he did not remember the customer. I came along for the ride. When we got to the tools, it turned out that he did buy them from Dad but back around 1956 or so!! No wonder Dad did not remember him. The tools were still in their original packing. A veritable time machine complete with the original receipt, too! Sounds like yours are brothers to those that Dad set up; nice acquisition there, Douglas.

I was glad that I came along as on the way a few doors down from the customer's house, a neighbor had tossed to the curb a floor-model radio that Dad let me retrieve. After replacing a few broken tubes (valves to you), the radio still worked although it did need alignment for good MW reception.

• Like 8
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

Evening all from Estuary-Land. Had all four seasons here as well today, the only consistency was the wind blowing from the north east, very cold. The change in the weather is also making Arthur Itis stir, but he is being kept in check at the moment. 

15 minutes ago, J. S. Bach said:

I clicked on "JOIN" so lets se what happens; note that my FB name is different from my RMweb name.

Hmmm, the new emojis are carp, I doubt that I will use them!

Thanks for joining, that has been a problem, differing FB and RMweb names.  There are many on FB who are also RMweb members that I don't recognise. There are others that use FB very rarely and although they have been invited to join have not done so.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium

Here are some pics of a layout called South Morford Dock that I recently acquired.

image.png.73f1552a5b115d890a6ef10d92f50441.png

image.png.567a7ca3d8b01fd9754581acfd608e43.png

image.png.ad6aaaae93870bc351ad7e93922e88ff.png

The whole layout measures four feet by one foot including fiddle yard. It was exhibited just before lockdown and only needs a bit of cleaning work to be ready for exhibition.

• Like 7

• RMweb Premium
30 minutes ago, PhilJ W said:

...snip... Thanks for joining, that has been a problem, differing FB and RMweb names.  There are many on FB who are also RMweb members that I don't recognise. There are others that use FB very rarely and although they have been invited to join have not done so.

I added my RMweb name to my first FB post.

Edit: I was referring to the new emojis here, not FB.

Edited by J. S. Bach
To add some information.
  • Like 4

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, J. S. Bach said:

the new emojis are carp

I couldn't find any earlier.  Perhaps they came along a little later.  

💩 OK, they're carp.  

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 3

Hello again. Nice to be back

I'm still in garage clearing mode and my back knows it.

It's looking worse than before but there's less spread across more floor area than before. 

Somewhere in there is my toolbox. Tools are being piled up pending its discovery.

Even better the motherland has become a restriction free zone so a lot less paperwork to visit family. 

Building work at SM42 Towers is expected to commence on 2nd May.  I suspect the price quoted  in November may have gone up abit

Modelling has by necessity taken a back seat. 

Andy

• Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 7

13 hours ago, PhilJ W said:

…To keep in touch with others from RMweb I opened a group on Facebook called 'The Diversion Line' for those suffering withdrawal symptoms. I will keep it open for a couple of weeks so people will be able to join. I will then archive the group which means that I can re-open the group if ever it becomes necessary.

Many thanks for that, Phil. A very nice idea indeed. 

But as much as it pains me to say so, I won’t be joining as I am not on Farcebook, in fact RMWeb is the only social media forum I participate in; Farcebook, Twatter, TikTok etc. I avoid like the plague. I’m already “frightening the horses” on RMWeb, I see no reason to spread despair, despondency and disgust any further on the World Wide Web 🤪

• Like 5
  • Agree 4
  • Funny 1

9 minutes ago, iL Dottore said:

Many thanks for that, Phil. A very nice idea indeed. 

But as much as it pains me to say so, I won’t be joining as I am not on Farcebook, in fact RMWeb is the only social media forum I participate in; Farcebook, Twatter, TikTok etc. I avoid like the plague. I’m already “frightening the horses” on RMWeb, I see no reason to spread despair, despondency and disgust any further on the World Wide Web 🤪

What's wrong with Facepuke?

• Funny 5

6 hours ago, bbishop said:

I'm another one who needed a new profile photo; the colours are topical although it's not in the Ukraine.   I actually took the photo so can anyone guess where it is?    Bill

Benbecula?

• Funny 4

• RMweb Premium

That not be Benbecula the only railway there was mine, it's motive power was middle chrome green with copper caps.

And it's buses were light green , cream and red, like what I went to school on

image.png.c9ed63da6812158dc6d70552af0c7ac8.png

• Like 9
  • Friendly/supportive 1