Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

The Night Mail

• RMweb Gold

I am thrilled to tell you all that I have received an award in the New Year's honours list.

It is for my work in the field of wildlife conservation.

I can now officially put Saving Hippos In Trouble after my name.

I can't wait for the first official mail to arrive addressed to Mr R Ough SH....hang on a minute.......

• Funny 13
  • Friendly/supportive 2

1 hour ago, Happy Hippo said:

I am thrilled to tell you all that I have received an award in the New Year's honours list.

It is for my work in the field of wildlife conservation.

I can now officially put Saving Hippos In Trouble after my name.

I can't wait for the first official mail to arrive addressed to Mr R Ough SH....hang on a minute.......

Does this mean we have to stand to attention when reading your postings?

And mores to the point do we have to salute you when you're seen in person?

We need answers to these vitally important questions.

• Agree 1
  • Funny 8

4 hours ago, SM42 said:

And so it has come to pass, after numerous warnings and general expressions of frustration at the sheer daftness of the practice, that Mrs SM42's habit of leaving her spectacles all over the place in silly places ( like under the handbrake) has caught up with her. 

" Can you fix these?" 

Inspection showed that the metal hinge has been broken in two on one side and the other side is very bent and bending back may cause total failure. ☹️

This occurred due to her  throwing them on the passenger seat.

OK until you offer someone a lift.

I would recommend the use of a cord, to be used to hang the specs round the neck. You always know where they are, which is not on seats, under handbrakes etc. Not the highest fashion, I grant you, but I can live with that.

• Like 7
  • Agree 3

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Winslow Boy said:

I think that I know the salute that the USN signal book requires although I do forget on which page that it is listed.

• Like 3

I read that as: 

when you're seen in prison,

first time around.

Andy

• Funny 5
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold

DH  and I do this to each other every time we meet. It's most tiring as we are of equal retired rank, and should really be more informal at our advanced ages.  But inter service rivalry dictates we cannot be seen to waver.

25 minutes ago, Dave Hunt said:

Does that go before or after your Pachyderm Rescue Action Team status?

Dave 

After, but before the Hippo world's very own  Wonderful And Naturally Kindhearted  Environment Restorer.

I had a wonderful warm feeling after getting that.

Edited by Happy Hippo
  • Round of applause 1
  • Funny 8

• RMweb Gold
11 hours ago, iL Dottore said:

My gastroenterologist neighbour had a fun time driving the Glacier Express on the local MRC’s Alpine Layout. When everyone admired his driving skills, he shrugged it off saying he had a lot of experience piloting long things into narrow tunnels with tight clearances….

Once upon a time, back in the day when you did such things, I was trying to change a car light bulb. After trying to bend my arm through four ninety degree turns and feeling my way about I still wasn’t getting anywhere. (Can you see where this is heading?)  

After watching in some amusement, my brother-in-law suggested that I ease  my mobile phone in and take a photo. Brilliant idea, I changed the bulb no problem.  “Thanks”, I said. “Where did you get that idea?”

“Remember, I’m a gynaecologist”, was his reply.

Edited by BoD
  • Round of applause 3
  • Funny 14

9 hours ago, jamie92208 said:

There is actually a wagon I could measure at Gourville museum about 20 miles away.  However  it appears that I don't hold the necessary certificates to wield a tape measure.

Neither did I hold a certificste to say that I could hit miscreants with my truncheon, howebver I did and on both occasions it made me a lot safer.

Jamie

Don't worry Jamie I've been working the old brain cell and I've think I've come up with a good wheeze to get round your lack of certification.

We can invoke the thirty year rule. Used to do it all the time

in local government. All we need is someone in authority, preferably, who can vouch that your over the age of thirty and that you've been using a measure continually for those years. What about that Mayor you know. The one your earning some brownie points from by repairing that plaque for the war memorial? Would she do it you reckon?

I knew those twenty five years in local government would come in handy. You see you go in full of enthusiasm and little by little it's stripped away until all you look forward to is the Friday afternoon when you can finish at half three and then count the hours to Monday comes around.

Roll on pension.

• Like 3
  • Agree 4
  • Funny 1
  • Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Premium

Heilige neues Jahr alle zusammen (as I believe they say in parts over there), Happy New Year one and all or, as they saying around this establishment, 'Thank **** that one's over, let's pray for a better one to come!'

Felicitations one and all

John

• Like 3
  • Thanks 10
  • Funny 1