Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

The Night Mail

• RMweb Premium
On 28/01/2023 at 18:11, Tony_S said:

One is a Miele. The other is a Sebo. We also have a Vax, which is rather like an amphibious Henry for use in the garage or when decorating (so doesn’t get much use here). 

Miele are one of the few trendy and expensive brands that really are a quality product. When I was at sea the washing machines were running almost 24/7 as crew did their normal laundry as well as washing their boiler suits and working gear. And it's a hostile environment with rolling and pitching and dirty electricity. The only two washing machines that could take it were Maytag (the industrial Maytags) and Miele, anything else would collapse in a heap after not very long. Even tight fisted shipping companies spent the $$$$$$$s to buy Maytag or Miele as it was cheaper than constantly replacing lesser machines. All our gear is Miele, fridges, washing machine, tumble dryer etc (probably not necessary here.....) and it's all over 20 years old and still tip top. I am a believer in 'buy once, buy right'.

• Like 10
  • Agree 3
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Premium

All of our ‘white goods’ are Miele or Bosch, the main vacuum cleaner is a Shark and the standby a Miele, which was one we gave to Dad when his Vax failed then we brought back when clearing his house. I’ve also got a little Henry in the workshop that I’ve had since God’s dog was a puppy and despite rough treatment is still good plus a B&D dust buster for use on the layout (and before HH gets in, no it’s not S7).

Dave

Dave

• Like 11

• RMweb Premium

Off to get a new TV from a shop in Wem that  was recommended by a neighbour. Our current one is working but can’t get streaming services and since there seems to be mainly cr*p on the channels we can access it seems like a good idea to update.

Dave

• Like 8
  • Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 6

• RMweb Premium

When we closed Trackshack the Henry came with me for the garage/layout room, and boy does it get some abuse.  They are tough as old boots for sure.  My last garage vac expired in DCC-like smoke as the steel filings got through the hole in the filter...oops, should have spotted that 🐔....and went into the whizzy electrical bit - fatoom. 💥💣

• Like 9
  • Friendly/supportive 5

1 hour ago, Happy Hippo said:

A feather duster and a French Maid's outfit is all I require.

Fifi* instead of HH? No, surely not.

* Afficionados of 1980s US children's television may remember MathNet where the (male) lead had to dress up as Fifi  in the Movie-length episode - without camping it up!

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Happy Hippo said:

Buy a vacuum cleaner?

You've all been suckered. 

A feather duster and a French Maid's outfit is all I require.

For a really deep clean, Nyda just spills some single malt in the precise location that needs attending to.

37 minutes ago, Canal Digger said:

brain cleaner please ASAP!

I think that brain bleach would only be needed if the French Maid's outfit is for HH himself, but if it's for some nubile, young, slip of girl it could provide hours of innocent entertainment....

• Like 3
  • Agree 6

• RMweb Gold
33 minutes ago, iL Dottore said:

I think that brain bleach would only be needed if the French Maid's outfit is for HH himself, but if it's for some nubile, young, slip of girl it could provide hours of innocent entertainment....

Thank Goodness at least you are on my wavelength!😂

Ah Reneeeee!

• Like 2
  • Funny 9

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, New Haven Neil said:

When we closed Trackshack the Henry came with me for the garage/layout room, and boy does it get some abuse.  They are tough as old boots for sure.  My last garage vac expired in DCC-like smoke as the steel filings got through the hole in the filter...oops, should have spotted that 🐔....and went into the whizzy electrical bit - fatoom. 💥💣

I have plans to make one of these Cyclone collectors to prevent magic sparks emitting from my garage vacuum/dust extractor.

I am always amazed,  not just what JSK-Koubou creates, but also the quality of his work:

• Like 6
  • Round of applause 2

4 hours ago, Dave Hunt said:

Off to get a new TV from a shop in Wem that  was recommended by a neighbour. Our current one is working but can’t get streaming services and since there seems to be mainly cr*p on the channels we can access it seems like a good idea to update.

Dave

Probably a bit late but you should be able to stream to the old telly by plugging in a streaming receiver. Not sure what brands are available in the UK but we use Roku streamers here. The telly just needs to have a HDMI input.

Anyway, you can always relegate the old telly to your shed and attach a streamer to it 😀

• Like 3
  • Agree 3

• RMweb Premium

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Erichill16 said:

A documentary about Queen told the story of how "I Want to Break Free" set back the band's attempt to crack America.  The conservative US music-buyers (or more likely, the music broadcasters) were uncomfortable with the cross-dressing in the video and wouldn't show it, so the single wasn't played.  In Britain, we seemed to find all that sort of thing hilarious and Roger Taylor made a very cute girl!

• Like 4
  • Agree 3
  • Informative/Useful 3

15 minutes ago, J. S. Bach said:

Would this be enough?

1414563858_ChesterSCNSStringfellowcrossing-002.jpg.6674fa0b36e8b5cb348bc9bc455870a7.jpg

Saw some trains in Price Canyon, Utah on the drive to Colorado. I passed a East bound Amtrak winding its way up the canyon. The gradients on the eastern end must be extremely steep. They are bad enough in a car 😀

• Like 9

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, AndyID said:

Probably a bit late but you should be able to stream to the old telly by plugging in a streaming receiver. Not sure what brands are available in the UK but we use Roku streamers here. The telly just needs to have a HDMI input.

Anyway, you can always relegate the old telly to your shed and attach a streamer to it 😀

An Amazon Fire Stick (from thirty quid upwards) would do it - but you'd need Amazon Prime....

• Like 4
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Premium
5 hours ago, Happy Hippo said:

I have plans to make one of these Cyclone collectors to prevent magic sparks emitting from my garage vacuum/dust extractor.

I am always amazed,  not just what JSK-Koubou creates, but also the quality of his work:

Don't do it HH, it involves using a powered saw!!!!

Dave

• Like 3
  • Funny 2

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, AndyID said:

Sadly there's nowhere to plug in an HDMI input. The old one may well find its way down to the shed though.

Dave

• Like 5
  • Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, polybear said:

An Amazon Fire Stick (from thirty quid upwards) would do it - but you'd need Amazon Prime....

I've already got Amazon Prime, which is one of the reasons for getting a new TV, but nowhere to plug in a Firestick.

Dave

• Friendly/supportive 10

9 hours ago, Dave Hunt said:

Dave

If its Princes you are going to, they are really good in our experience. Julies Dad bought a new TV from them a few weeks ago and he has been very impressed with the whole process.

They are quite "old school" and do seem to provide good customer service. 

• Like 9

• RMweb Premium

Yes, Chris, it is Prince's that we went to on recommendation from neighbours and the chap there was very friendly and helpful and not at all pushy. We've done some measuring up of the place where the TV will go as the Samsung we were looking at is a 43 inch compared with the present set's 32 inch and are going back tomorrow to get some final details and very probably order it to be delivered and installed ASAP. He agreed with the advice that various TNMers gave us recommending either Samsung or LG and what swung us towards the former was the 5 year guarantee.

Dave

• Like 9