Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

The Night Mail

• RMweb Gold
52 minutes ago, Happy Hippo said:

No doubt this is a scheme to save money by some administrative numb nut.

I think the most recent instructions for patient facing staff only require testing if you have symptoms. But as Bill said he tested positive while asymptomatic. This has always been the case with Covid and one reason it spread, you could be contagious without showing any symptoms. I think as a vulnerable person I am still eligible for free tests. However as a vulnerable person I would like to think people helping me had been able to test. 

• Like 10

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, Happy Hippo said:

That's a good idea, I'd never have thought of doing that.

Big H has images of Nurse Gladys Emmanuel.....

2 hours ago, bbishop said:

Morning all.

RANT MODE ON

I always take a Covid test before a front line duty with the Ambulance Service.  They were provided free by the government but as from last Monday all front line staff must pay for them.  Presumably the government view is that paramedics and nurses will get pay rises in excess of the awards from the independent pay review bodies, and can therefore afford to buy their own Covid kits.  But I am a volunteer and so will have to pay for my tests from my pension.  I only found I had Covid in April was by taking a test before a duty and there is no way that I could put a vulnerable patient at risk.

What does the TNM community think?

RANT MODE OFF

Bill

I'm with Big H on this - no free tests = no CFR.  I'm sure a few tactical emails to selected Journalists, MP's etc. could cause sufficient embarrassment for a policy re-think.

Edited by polybear
  • Agree 10

52 minutes ago, polybear said:

Big H has images of Nurse Gladys Emmanuel.....

I'm with Big H on this - no free tests = no CFR.  I'm sure a few tactical emails to selected Journalists, MP's etc. could cause sufficient embarrassment for a policy re-think.

It's China's fault. They've stopped making the testing kits and have gone back to manufacturing all the plastic tat that they made before they decided to move into germ warfare.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2
  • Funny 5

56 minutes ago, Winslow Boy said:

before they decided to move into germ warfare.

Post that in TikTok and you'll be invited to visit one of their do-not-exist police station scattered around the country/world.

• Funny 10

1 hour ago, Winslow Boy said:

It's China's fault. They've stopped making the testing kits and have gone back to manufacturing all the plastic tat that they made before they decided to move into germ warfare.

Let me see, three years after the pandemic started and the government still hasn't organised production in this country.  Bill

• Agree 5
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

3 hours ago, Northmoor said:

After the London bus/tube bombings, I heard of a campaign aiming to teach 10% of the population basic first aid.  The basis of their idea was that in most accidents, most injuries are minor, could be easily and safely treated by members of the public and ambulance staff could concentrate on the serious injuries.  It could also significantly reduce pressure on A&E departments if those who had a small cut on their thumb knew how to clean the wound and cover it properly before popping into a local pharmacy to check if there's anything they would recommend to avoid infection.

I have a bit of a concern about this.  I have been trained in responding to major incidents.  If I am at an event, then I must stay on post until given a job.  If I am "joe public", then I will find someone who appears to be in charge, advise them of my skill level and offer my services.  One must never self deploy,  because there may still be a roaming terrorist or a building may further collapse.

Yes I am squeamish as well.  One just gets stuck in and treats as best one can.  There will always be counselling after the event.

The problem at Manchester Arena was the police didn't advise their Gold commander that the scene was probably clear and he hummed and hawed about sending in anyone.  The ambulance Gold should have put more pressure on the police Gold, but in a terrorist situation it is absolutely a police decision.

Bill

• Like 5
  • Agree 5

Yes, anyone in a health care environment, be they professional or volunteer should get free testing, but as Covid is now treated as a bad cold  by the powers that be, I'd say there is fat chance of that happening. 

The first aid at work course I did, did involve a lot of potentially leaky injuries, but I'd say you are more likely to be needed to attend to something that doesn't involve blood loss. 

The only thing I dreaded was a compound fracture to deal with, but to be honest most accidents and incidents I attended, the victim had no further care for their injuries as they were, invariably,  instantly fatal. 

The 3 that weren't I decided it would be better for  a professional to arrive first, but that was in the days when they didn't routinely take up to an hour or more to arrive. 

I recall at the back end of lockdown, meeting a paramedic whilst waiting  for some new tyres to be fitted. 

His advice?

"Don't ever need an ambulance, there aren't enough of us"

Andy

Edited by SM42
  • Like 5
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 3
  • Friendly/supportive 1

It's was a gloriously sunny, if a bit chilly, day in Poznan today.

After shopping this morning, I was given the afternoon off, so headed off to Gadki again. 

17 trains in just over 2 hours was not at all bad I thought

It's surprising what you find dumped at the side of the road. (I was stood on the public highway when I took this)

20230406_141206.jpg.8d8fb9a0327d82a732333ba56ea128fd.jpg

ET22 1178 pulls into the loop with a mostly  tank train (12 tanks and 5 bogie stake opens)

20230406_142639.jpg.9115c72a3debf2c46c8d3788ec21a243.jpg

EU07 128 in a heritage livery pulls in ( just as I was about to call it a day)  with what was a very mixed train; 

Gas tank, covered steel wagon, NACCO  4 wheel hopper, covered steel wagon, ex works eaos gondolas, one ex works PKP fals coal hopper, a side dump wagon,  bogie stake open, a Slovakian hopper wagon, bogie stake open, more gas  tanks, another side dump wagon, two container flats, another side dump wagon, a roll top gondola and a bogie covered hopper to finish

20230406_155312.jpg.5323bc28580b518e63897f5f8b4fd8c7.jpg

then there was the Polish air force from the nearby airfield keeping us entertained, doing what air forces do ( not the waiting around bit)

20230406_155458.jpg.aac75834a545b574a2b6a5e1a5374594.jpg

Trains and F16s. 

What's not to like?

Andy

Edited by SM42
Missed some wagons off the list
  • Like 16
  • Round of applause 1

38 minutes ago, polybear said:

Do the Steam Choo Choo's still run to Poznan - the Wolzy wotsit ones?

Yes and no. 

The Wolsztyn - Poznan service ran on Saturdays. In the week it ran to Leszno. 

AIUI, the only serviceable  loco failed  early November and is not expected back in traffic till June. 

Here it is running round at Leszno in October last year 

20221021_131416.jpg.bedd93ee1b6edcb5dbe1de4d05367784.jpg

The situation may have changed of course. 

I haven't checked of late

Andy

• Like 7
  • Informative/Useful 3

I've just checked and June is the predicted date for the return of regular steam services. 

Just for a change this year's steam parade is  in August (19 -20th I think, just after my summer holiday finishes, typically)  not the usual long May holiday weekend.

They might even get Stary Rynek, Poznan rebuilt by the end of the year too, so the tourists will have to brave the building site for another summer season. 

Andy

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium
8 hours ago, Happy Hippo said:

I suppose it is one of the advantages of a military background where you are taught first aid and learn to look after yourself.

Military First Aid Manual .

Page 1 ,

Reattaching severed arm .

Take a no 2 needle and some black thread ......................................

• Funny 13

• RMweb Gold
21 minutes ago, Sidecar Racer said:

Military First Aid Manual .

Page 1 ,

Reattaching severed arm .

Take a no 2 needle and some black thread ......................................

Then there is rectal rehydration.....

We never had any volunteers to act as casualties on that particular part of the syllabus

• Funny 10
  • Friendly/supportive 1

There is talk of snow here, but most on line forecasts show rain. One says rain, but radar forecast shows none, so who knows what will happen. 

I suspect it will be wet. 

Tonight is last chance for a beer till Sunday, as we go meat and alcohol free till Easter day. 

I'm off to the fridge now. 

Andy

• Like 5
  • Friendly/supportive 8

3 hours ago, polybear said:

7 hours ago, bbishop said:

Let me see, three years after the pandemic started and the government still hasn't organised production in this country.  Bill

It's been assigned to the Home Office which is occupied with rounding up the thirteen Gurkhas. So it probably get it started by 2025 just in time for world war three to kick off.

Edited by Winslow Boy
  • Agree 3
  • Friendly/supportive 1

5 hours ago, Happy Hippo said:

I was thinking of nurses like this:

image.png.f6f55834f775caa826c8caa53979217b.png

But I'll get these:

image.png.944bff9f06092bd1d387474f24bd5513.png

Given the current employment dispute I suspect you'll ever get the following;

a) wait till your finger turns green and has to be amputated.

b) be able to see a nurse  one year from now on a Friday at 7 am in the morning.

Or

c) don't trouble us we are far to busy doing important things.

• Agree 2
  • Funny 7

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Winslow Boy said:

Given the current employment dispute I suspect you'll ever get the following;

a) wait till your finger turns green and has to be amputated.

Amputation of the amputation would be amusing.

Green is OK as that's just infected.  Black is the more worrying skin discolouration as that means gangrene has set in and the skin has gone necrotic. (I once saw some poor chap who had been bitten on his calf by a Puff Adder in Kenya. It was beyond saving and his leg had to come off at the knee.)

I did change the dressing today, so it's now clean and tidy once more.

Before:

IMG-20230330-WA0002.jpeg.b775db6e7630a8435b6b4969996810d7.jpeg

Although after a week it was very grubby.

Now it looks like this

20230406_111658.jpg.68797f4e7b15e747b82f7cab995aef71.jpgWhich is a lot tidier, and also much more comfortable.

Edited by Happy Hippo
  • Like 9
  • Friendly/supportive 6

16 hours ago, polybear said:

As regards the manufactured stone worktops, it does sound to me like the Factories and Installers are primarily failing to use proper dust control methods; the idea of cutting the stuff as a part of the fitting process doesn't sound like a good idea to me at all as it must be nigh-on impossible to control the dust adequately.

An additional thought is that having them installed may perhaps result in the need for expensive men in spacesuits who charge  astronomical removal charges  similar to asbestos in a few years time when its time to renovate again.

• Like 5
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

• RMweb Premium
13 hours ago, Happy Hippo said:

Which is a lot tidier, and also much more comfortable.

And indicative of an opinion of something; panniers, maybe? Red ones?

Edited by J. S. Bach
To do a minor edit.
  • Funny 3

• RMweb Gold
12 hours ago, Winslow Boy said:

You mean RTR models?

• Agree 1
  • Funny 3