Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

The Night Mail

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, skipepsi said:

Having bought an aftermarket, much more powerful battery for our Dyson it is now the machine it should have been from the start.

I did likewise with the Vax cordless which I inherited from my mother as 'broken'.  The battery was shot, and having read the reviews when I bought a new one I also made the switch up from a 2 Amp to a 4 Amp battery which transformed it.

• Informative/Useful 7

• RMweb Gold
48 minutes ago, 34theletterbetweenB&D said:

All this modern fragile tech. As the happy inheritor of two 1950's Electroluxii still capable of lifting themselves off the deck by their own suction I scorn this new-fangled junk.

Hoover used to have a hovering vacuum cleaner called the Constellation. We had various vacuum cleaners over the years but one thing we have learned is that the indoor ones for carpets should not be used for clearing up DIY waste like sawdust or plaster. We have a Vax that looks like a Henry for that sort of thing. 

• Like 5
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

1 minute ago, Tony_S said:

Hoover used to have a hovering vacuum cleaner called the Constellation.

A near spherical job. Fixed one of those for my landlady while a student, it had totally eaten its motor brushes, and was screaming its complaint. Very big motor for a vacuum cleaner too, and it would hover on a deep pile carpet which was impressive. Another student in the same digs thought it might avail for hover football, and had to go to casualty with a dislocated big toe. How I laughed. 

• Informative/Useful 5
  • Funny 5

• RMweb Gold
7 minutes ago, 34theletterbetweenB&D said:

it had totally eaten its motor brushes

I would often repair things by replacing worn brushes. Perhaps all those Triang train motors I replaced them in as a child prepared me for restoring household appliances. We did fall for the advertising claims and get a Dyson Animal but it couldn’t cope with our animal. The reduction in effectiveness after a while irritating wasn’t as bad as some of the plastic bits breaking. Lots of duct tape and resin putty was used. We replaced it when something else on it broke. I was taking it to the recycling centre when a neighbour asked if he could take it to his daughter in Wales and try and use its parts for her Dyson. Apparently the hybrid still works.  

• Like 9
  • Friendly/supportive 1

1 minute ago, Tony_S said:

Perhaps all those Triang train motors I replaced them in as a child prepared me for restoring household appliances.

I can honestly state that the starting point of my (non-exceptional) DIY capability began with making a working model railway, meccano, and helping Pa first with his electronics projects, and then keeping a Triumph Herald running.

Just repaired the arfiticial (as it is known) Crimblix tree bought in the John Lewis sale in Jan 1999, no way I am wasting any more cash on such uselesss junk, unless SWMBO really insists. It's dark green, it's upright, and it doesn't smell of 'pine fresh' branded products, how could one improve on that?

• Like 11
  • Friendly/supportive 2

1 hour ago, Tony_S said:

Hoover used to have a hovering vacuum cleaner called the Constellation. We had various vacuum cleaners over the years but one thing we have learned is that the indoor ones for carpets should not be used for clearing up DIY waste like sawdust or plaster. We have a Vax that looks like a Henry for that sort of thing. 

There used to be tales of blokes sticking parts of themselves into parts of the hover cleaners that they shouldn't have, and getting severe grazing as a result. As I've never seen the cleaners, I don't know if that was actually possible!

• Funny 9

2 hours ago, skipepsi said:

Having bought an aftermarket, much more powerful battery for our Dyson it is now the machine it should have been from the start.

Forgive me for my ignorance, but how does that work?

I am assuming you just unsolder the existing battery and replace it with one with more amperage. Correct?

Since when my late father-in-law almost electrocuted me (we were installing a ceiling lamp. I asked him to turn the power off at the circuit, he refused saying the power was already off - it wasn’t), I do minimal electrical work around the house (changing Euronorm and UKnorm plugs to Swissnorm plugs, replacing bulbs & fuses is about it), I leave the serious stuff to the professionals.

However, I do - where possible - do minor device repairs or upgrades (such as replacing very thin wire in a battery tester) where if it goes wrong it is neither life threatening or expensive. Changing the rechargeable battery in a vacuum cleaner sounds like that.

Any suggestions/comments from the sages on TNM?

• Like 9

1 minute ago, iL Dottore said:

I am assuming you just unsolder the existing battery and replace it with one with more amperage. Correct?

Since when my late father-in-law almost electrocuted me (we were installing a ceiling lamp. I asked him to turn the power off at the circuit, he refused saying the power was already off - it wasn’t), I do minimal electrical work around the house (changing Euronorm and UKnorm plugs to Swissnorm plugs, replacing bulbs & fuses is about it), I leave the serious stuff to the professionals.

However, I do - where possible - do minor device repairs or upgrades (such as replacing very thin wire in a battery tester) where if it goes wrong it is neither life threatening or expensive. Changing the rechargeable battery in a vacuum cleaner sounds like that.

If its the Dyson that looks like a 1950s raygun, the battery pack unclips from the handle, so no soldering required...

• Like 4
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 4

• RMweb Gold
19 minutes ago, Hroth said:

If its the Dyson that looks like a 1950s raygun, the battery pack unclips from the handle, so no soldering required...

For slightly more complex tasks there are videos of all kinds of “how to fix it” for many household devices on YouTube.. I watch them and then decide if I wish to proceed. 

• Like 4
  • Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
20 minutes ago, iL Dottore said:

The batteries are  sealed units of similar design to those found on cordless power tools. 

They unclip from the chassis of the machine to be recharged.

If you know it is  one of the cells that has failed, it is easy wnough to open the battery case with a screwdriver and remove and replace the batteries.

However, if the internal circuit board in the battery pack has failed, then unless you understand how it works, then you'll not get it going again.

I have a heap of batteries from rechargeable battery packs sitting in my battery box which are ok and could be made up into bespoke packs if required.

• Like 7
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
25 minutes ago, iL Dottore said:

Since when my late father-in-law almost electrocuted me (we were installing a ceiling lamp.

Quite a few people,have discovered on UK lighting circuits that turning the light off at the wall switch doesn’t isolate the ceiling rose from the electrical supply. 

• Like 2
  • Agree 8
  • Informative/Useful 1

15 minutes ago, Tony_S said:

Quite a few people,have discovered on UK lighting circuits that turning the light off at the wall switch doesn’t isolate the ceiling rose from the electrical supply. 

Which is why its useful to have one of those "electricians" screwdrivers with the little neon bulb in the handle.

If that lights up, you isolate the lighting circuit at the fusebox.  Which would be best practice anyway.

Edited by Hroth
  • Like 1
  • Agree 7

36 minutes ago, Tony_S said:

This was in Switzerland (so a Swiss father-in-law).

And I am well aware that just turning things off at the wall is definitely NOT the way to go - which was why I asked FiL if he had turned things off at the circuit box (our house is divided into about 26 separate circuits - each with its own breaker or fuse).

He said that he had, he hadn't. 😱

Thank goodness I had an electrician's screwdriver!

Edited by iL Dottore
Typo
  • Like 6
  • Friendly/supportive 3

41 minutes ago, Happy Hippo said:

The batteries are  sealed units of similar design to those found on cordless power tools. 

They unclip from the chassis of the machine to be recharged.

If you know it is  one of the cells that has failed, it is easy wnough to open the battery case with a screwdriver and remove and replace the batteries.

However, if the internal circuit board in the battery pack has failed, then unless you understand how it works, then you'll not get it going again.

I have a heap of batteries from rechargeable battery packs sitting in my battery box which are ok and could be made up into bespoke packs if required.

I'm thinking of upgrading an Aldi wet/dry handheld vacuum cleaner. It's OK, but could do with a "bit more suck" (so to speak). It doesn't have an external battery pack, so I'll have to dismantle it to access the battery. I've replaced batteries in solar powered lanterns (just a change of a rechargeable battery in a holder), THAT at least I can manage.

• Like 4
  • Round of applause 2

• RMweb Premium
7 hours ago, iL Dottore said:

A succinct set of instructions for tasty mince, but - perhaps sadly - tatties and mince has never appealed to me (possibly because every time I’ve encountered it, the mince has been watery and tasteless, and the potato was lumpy and gritty). On the other hand, there’s so many other foodstuffs from Scotland (apart from the eponymous single malt) I enjoy, that I don’t feel that I’m missing out. Lorne Sausage, Tattie Scones (if done well), Scotch Pies, Arbroath Smokies and - of course - Haggis!!! (which Mrs iD and I enjoy greatly. We regularly have tatties, neeps and Haggis with various whisky based sauces [the sauces an ongoing series of experiments to find the perfect one]).

Apart from Cranachan, Dundee Cake and the deep-fried Mars Bar, I’m not terribly familiar with Scottish puddings and sweets. Just as well I suppose - there’s usually not much space left after a Haggis supper.

A perfect description of school mince and  tatties..

Edited by TheQ
  • Like 4
  • Agree 3
  • Friendly/supportive 1

7 hours ago, iL Dottore said:

A succinct set of instructions for tasty mince, but - perhaps sadly - tatties and mince has never appealed to me (possibly because every time I’ve encountered it, the mince has been watery and tasteless, and the potato was lumpy and gritty). On the other hand, there’s so many other foodstuffs from Scotland (apart from the eponymous single malt) I enjoy, that I don’t feel that I’m missing out. Lorne Sausage, Tattie Scones (if done well), Scotch Pies, Arbroath Smokies and - of course - Haggis!!! (which Mrs iD and I enjoy greatly. We regularly have tatties, neeps and Haggis with various whisky based sauces [the sauces an ongoing series of experiments to find the perfect one]).

Apart from Cranachan, Dundee Cake and the deep-fried Mars Bar, I’m not terribly familiar with Scottish puddings and sweets. Just as well I suppose - there’s usually not much space left after a Haggis supper.

You could try that method in a pasta sauce too.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, AndyID said:

You could try that method in a pasta sauce too.

Pasta with a whisky sauce? Intriguing.

How about Fusilli with a haggis, mushroom, cream and whisky sauce? Very <fusion cuisine>.

I think that it would be very tasty indeed, but I don't think that it would need Parmesan cheese to finish.

• Like 4

Shopping done. Cake eaten. Car unloaded for second time today. 40 odd litres of fuel added to the car at 6.39 PLN per litre. ( It's a bit scary filling up with numbers like that. Good job it's not in sterling. )

Time for tree wrangling once Mrs SM42 puts the shopping away. 

She has dumped it all in front of the cupboard where the tree is kept and I dare not get involved in organising  the storage of items in the kitchen.  

Cleaning the flat may be beer assisted or more likely be postponed till Friday. 

Dentist tomorrow morning. I'm not looking forward to that at all  though. 

Andy

• Friendly/supportive 14

• RMweb Gold
37 minutes ago, iL Dottore said:

I assumed your experience wasn’t in the UK which is why I commented on why the UK system can cause problems because some people don’t understand how it is wired. On European systems with individual breakers if someone says it is off  and it isn’t, they probably don’t like you.  

• Like 4
  • Agree 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Gold
31 minutes ago, TheQ said:

A perfect description of school mince and  tatties..

When I was at an infant school in Somerset the school kitchens only served the food. It arrived in big containers, that had come from Bristol I believe. Mince stew and potatoes featured a few times a week. 

• Friendly/supportive 6

34 minutes ago, iL Dottore said:

And I am well aware that just turning things off at the wall is definitely NOT the way to go - which was why I asked FiL if he had turned things off at the circuit box (our house is divided into about 26 separate circuits - each with its own breaker or fuse).

He said that he had, he hadn't. 😱

Thank goodness I had an electrician's screwdriver!

In times of yore the trick was to remove the fuse at the distribution point and put it in your pocket. This was particularly important at any commercial or industrial location but good practice even at home. With the advent of circuit breakers that is not so easy but the ones used in the US can be unplugged at the breaker box.

Then of course there's the 'orrible UK ring mains. Even when you think you've disconnected the line it might still be coming at you from the other direction.

Having had a lot of experience with UK and US mains electricity over the years I have come to the conclusion that the US system is much better. 120 volt outlets do make electric kettles a good bit slower but 120 volts is much less likely to electrocute someone. 240 volts is FOUR times more dangerous. People are essentially resistors and the power dissipated in a resistor is proportional to the square of the voltage.

• Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 8
  • Friendly/supportive 1

12 minutes ago, Tony_S said:

I assumed your experience wasn’t in the UK which is why I commented on why the UK system can cause problems because some people don’t understand how it is wired. On European systems with individual breakers if someone says it is off  and it isn’t, they probably don’t like you.  

My FiL liked me well enough, but he could never admit to getting anything wrong - even forgetting to turn a breaker off.

Mrs iD also has the characteristic of "never being wrong" (although sometimes she will admit to being "less than completely right")

• Funny 5
  • Friendly/supportive 7