Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

The Night Mail

4 hours ago, martin_wynne said:

Hi Andy,

You are welcome to upload BOX files to Templot Club, and then link to them here. Go to:

https://85a.uk/templot/club/index.php?resources/categories/samples-and-examples.12/

and click Add resource.

cheers,

Martin.

Thank you Martin. I will do that.

Cheers, and Merry Christmas. (It's likely to snow tonight so there might be some wintry scenes posted.)

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, AndyID said:

(It's likely to snow tonight so there might be some wintry scenes posted.)

There’s already been a few flurries this morning north of you here in Nelson, so officially a white Christmas. About 2 inches forecast over tonight and tomorrow, but no more for the drive home later in the week.

• Like 12

• RMweb Gold

We intended to go for a walk this afternoon, but it was raining so we took solace in a jug of mulled wine.

I have had a remarkably frugal day with little in the way of sustenance. I've just not felt hungry.  A banana for breakfast, and cheese on toast for lunch. 

Most strange, as usually I'm ploughing my way through lots of grub.

• Friendly/supportive 16

• RMweb Gold

I hope everyone here is having a good Christmas.  I went to church, the visiting vicar taking the service explained in his sermon how he always uses one of his Christmas gifts to illustrate a point.  In previous years he has apparently flown a small drone in a church and used Darth Vader as an example of a type of character and so on.  It was actually quite thought provoking.

I had the expected presents, some I didn't mention on ERs as they are to do with railways.  Most of my relatives and I do not exchange presents but have agreed to spend a certain amount of money buying things for ourselves so we get what we really want for our hobbies.  I have an 0 gauge wagon kit, several second hand n gauge DB coaches and some scenic bits.  My cousin and his wife gave me a book about closed railways in Somerset which is where they live.

I also now have books I had not already got by Ann Cleeves and L J Ross, both are local authors  Along with those are a few more "light" detective stories.  Both Ann Cleeves and L J Ross are well worth reading.  LJ Ross set up her own company, Dark Skies Publishing to publish her books.

David

• Like 17

We're all done here. 

Family have gone home full, lots of leftovers from yesterday and today will be going with us tomorrow as we head south for new year to Ladek Zdroj, near the Czech border. 

Only drunk  a couple of glasses  of Italian red and a couple of vodkas, so actually quite sober. 

Presents were the latest Larkin book on wagons and an 0 gauge Jelcz truck

( I wonder if there is any Polish 0 gauge available) and lots of chocolate and other tasty morsels. 

Now sat watching Christmas related Disco Polo tunes on TV. 

I hope you've all had an enjoyable and peaceful day. 

Andy

• Like 13
  • Thanks 2

• RMweb Gold

Concerned readers will be pleased to know that I perked up at about 2010, and started eating again.  Cold turkey and pigs in blankets, cranberry sauce, chestnuts, Christmas coleslaw and a large jacket potato.

I should imagine that the need for pudding will hit me about 0300 tomorrow morning🤣

and 0330

and 0400

and 0430 

etc.

Then there's bacon for breakfast...

• Like 8
  • Agree 1
  • Round of applause 7

Christmas meals consisted of lunch with cold meats and many different types of cheese.  The main event consisted of polenta with shredded red cabbage and smoked pork and sausages.

Finished off with Cozonac.

As for drinks, Sloe Gin, Whisky, Beer and Wine were consumed.

Snow melted rather quickly, due to a 17 degree increase in temperature????

Wife now trying to figure out what to do today!

Paul

• Like 9
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold

The bacon is beckoning...

But before that I need to make a quick plan for the day.

It's pleasant outside with blue skies, so I can venture outside.

I have a loco that needs a decoder removed.  The decoder is then going out on loan to a friend who is considering using DCC for his railway. (I am also loaning him my spare Powercab starter set.)  Should I reset the decoder to the default of 3, or immediately give him some head scratching to do?

The Modelu figures have all been removed from their sprues and now require undercoating.  I do this, in true military modelling style, with black primer. this will have to be done  somewhere warm, which means the house. I suspect the dining room might be the place to do this as it is rarely used for dining.

At the back of my mind, is the sobering thought that my daughter and grandchildren arrive tomorrow.  Fortunately they (grandchildren) are now of an age where they are able to entertain themselves.  However, they are also capable of appreciating Pantmawr North, so I might have to take some (a lot) of time getting it ready for their inspection.

Enough of that for now.

Bacon....

Edited by Happy Hippo
  • Like 12
  • Round of applause 2

• RMweb Gold
54 minutes ago, Happy Hippo said:

Should I reset the decoder to the default of 3, or immediately give him some head scratching to do?

Or leave it on the existing number but don’t tell him what it is.  That would be an equally interesting way to find out about programming. 

Edited by Tony_S
  • Like 1
  • Funny 7
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
49 minutes ago, Happy Hippo said:

do this, in true military modelling style, with black primer

I used to spray with Halfords grey primer and then Halfords matt black. I have just looked and can see they now make a black spray primer. Perhaps they always did but I never noticed it. 

• Like 6
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

57 minutes ago, Happy Hippo said:

Should I reset the decoder to the default of 3, or immediately give him some head scratching to do?

If your friend decided to go DCC, then their first loco would come with the decoder set to 3, so it would be unfair to leave the loan loco set to, say 1413, and let confusion reign!

Some written instructions about programming decoder addresses should be confusing enough....

• Like 4
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Gold
28 minutes ago, Hroth said:

If your friend decided to go DCC, then their first loco would come with the decoder set to 3, so it would be unfair to leave the loan loco set to, say 1413, and let confusion reign!

Some written instructions about programming decoder addresses should be confusing enough....

He has a 7mm scale Dapol terrier which is currently analogue.

The reason for me lending him the spare Powercab and a decoder ship is to see whether he likes the idea.

I suppose what would really blow his mind would be to put in a sound decoder and speaker (like an 08 diesel ) when he is is otherwise preoccupied.

• Like 1
  • Funny 9