Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

The Night Mail

6 hours ago, Erichill16 said:

The comment below is interesting, saying that it is noticeable that the locomotives stop smoking when they leave the tunnel implying that the smoke is due to incomplete combustion of the fuel. Does seem a logical explanation.

I think there has to be a compounding effect. The exhaust from the first engine must reduce the available air/oxygen available to the second engine. It then runs rich and exhausts unburnt hydrocarbons which make the third engine run even richer.

If that's what going on there really is no excuse for it. It can all be eliminated by controlling the fuel input based on the exhaust temperature. All they are doing is wasting fuel.

• Agree 3
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

1 hour ago, AndyID said:

I think there has to be a compounding effect. The exhaust from the first engine must reduce the available air/oxygen available to the second engine. It then runs rich and exhausts unburnt hydrocarbons which make the third engine run even richer.

If that's what going on there really is no excuse for it. It can all be eliminated by controlling the fuel input based on the exhaust temperature. All they are doing is wasting fuel.

I believe 7 out of the 9 units on that train are tunnel motors, the first of which were built in 1972. The design was a structural attempt to solve the problem of locomotives overheating in tunnels, adopted because:

“Before the introduction of microprocessor technology, locomotives didn’t have the ability to self-govern and would quickly overheat and fail in these conditions.”

I would assume locomotive technology at the time was also not up to controlling fuel input based on exhaust temperature. You certainly don’t see smoke displays like that from well-maintained modern locomotives. (Though, apparently, some of the fairly recent EMD products could produce fireballs from the exhaust stacks under certain conditions. I can’t find the reference to that at the moment.)

• Like 6
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Premium
11 hours ago, Tony_S said:

The two big Morrisons stores round here were former Safeway supermarkets. Safeway hadn’t charged for parking and neither did Morrisons. Perhaps they were worried about Essex folk re running the Battle of Benfleet when visitors from York had their boats burned and had to walk home. 

I never remember Moggy's  as they were known, charging for car parks. In fact in Morley they did a deal with Morley Borough Council, pre 1974, that the car park should be free.  This was written into the contracts and when Leeds City Council tried to charge for parking in the early 2000's Morrison enforced the contract. 

Jamie

• Like 7

2 hours ago, jamie92208 said:

I never remember Moggy's  as they were known, charging for car parks. In fact in Morley they did a deal with Morley Borough Council, pre 1974, that the car park should be free.  This was written into the contracts and when Leeds City Council tried to charge for parking in the early 2000's Morrison enforced the contract. 

Jamie

I wonder how that sits with the contract they have with  private parking companies. One of which is notorious for its voracious pursuit of money.

An interesting aside, many years ago when the local council agreed to the demolition of a multi storey car park so they could sell the land for retail development, one councillor responded to criticism that there would be less places for the customers of these developments to park by saying that Morrisons and other supermarkets had large free car parks that shoppers could use when visiting the town's  shops. 

Never found our what the supermarkets thought of this

Andy

Edited by SM42
  • Funny 8

1 hour ago, SM42 said:

I wonder how that sits with the contract they have with  private parking companies. One of which is notorious for its voracious pursuit of money.

An interesting aside, many years ago when the local council agreed to the demolition of a multi storey car park so they could sell the land for retail development, one councillor responded to criticism that there would be less places for the customers of these developments to park by saying that Morrisons and other supermarkets had large free car parks that shoppers could use when visiting the town's  shops. 

Never found our what the supermarkets thought of this

Andy

Probably the reason for supermarkets to employ these voracious private parking companies is to regulate the influx of non-customer parkers thanks to the cynical attitude of local councils, who apparently see nothing wrong with devolving public car parking onto private companies without discussion or compensation.

• Agree 9

• RMweb Premium

It works the another way to ..

The Norfolk and Norwich hospital originally introduced parking fees because the public discovered it was cheaper to park there,  then catch a bus into town,  than use a park and ride site.

Now of course the hospital have discovered n enormous source of money....

• Agree 6
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
Posted (edited)
26 minutes ago, Hroth said:

Probably the reason for supermarkets to employ these voracious private parking companies is to regulate the influx of non-customer parkers thanks to the cynical attitude of local councils, who apparently see nothing wrong with devolving public car parking onto private companies without discussion or compensation.

15 minutes ago, TheQ said:

The Norfolk and Norwich hospital originally introduced parking fees because the public discovered it was cheaper to park there,  then catch a bus into town,  than use a park and ride site.

I am Chairman of the local Community Centre at Mickleover (Derby) as our model railway group have a separate building that was at one time part of the Community Centre but is now under our ownership. Entrance to the car park is past the local library. We have a lease for the centre but not the car park, which is under the ownership of Derby City Council. There is a large sign on the end of the club's building that everyone entering should see, stating that it is a private car park for Community Centre and Library users only. There are also two signs on each of the pedestrian exits from the car park.

However the users of the car park must be visually impaired as they don't see any of the signs and freely use the car park if they work nearby or as a park and ride facility to the hospital or into town. Whenever I go to the Centre, I have difficulty parking as the 35 spaces are often full even before the Centre is open. There is also a local bar/restaurant that actually shows the location of the car park and says it is free to use. Numerous complaints over several years have received a zero response. As a result we now have club members who avoid our Friday evening meetings as they can't park nearby.

Edited by Mike Bellamy
  • Friendly/supportive 17

18 minutes ago, Mike Bellamy said:

I am Chairman of the local Community Centre at Mickleover (Derby) as our model railway group have a separate building that was at one time part of the Community Centre but is now under our ownership. Entrance to the car park is past the local library. We have a lease for the centre but not the car park, which is under the ownership of Derby City Council. There is a large sign on the end of the club's building that everyone entering should see, stating that it is a private car park for Community Centre and Library users only. There are also two signs on each of the pedestrian exits from the car park.

However the users of the car park must be visually impaired as they don't see any of the signs and freely use the car park if they work nearby or as a park and ride facility to the hospital or into town. Whenever I go to the Centre, I have difficulty parking as the 35 spaces are often full even before the Centre is open. There is also a local bar/restaurant that actually shows the location of the car park and says it is free to use. Numerous complaints over several years have received a zero response. As a result we now have club members who avoid our Friday evening meetings as they can't park nearby.

Aldi generally have free car parking next to the store.  However I do know of one that is "managed" by a voracious parking company due to the presence of a number of bars and restaurants in close vicinity.  To get free parking for shopping in the store, you have to log into one of a number of terminals on the packing bench to identify your vehicle before leaving the store.

The parking cameras run 24/7. Naturally, the terminal system isn't available when the store is closed.  🤣

• Like 8
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium

At one time as living close to the town centre and the railway station parking on this estate was a nightmare until the council issued residents only parking permits. At first they were free of charge but now the council charges for them. I don't have any problems now as I have my own drive.

• Like 7
  • Friendly/supportive 2

40 minutes ago, PhilJ W said:

At one time as living close to the town centre and the railway station parking on this estate was a nightmare until the council issued residents only parking permits. At first they were free of charge but now the council charges for them. I don't have any problems now as I have my own drive.

You just have to keep an eye open for plonkers parking across your driveway?

• Agree 7

2 hours ago, Hroth said:

Aldi generally have free car parking next to the store.  However I do know of one that is "managed" by a voracious parking company due to the presence of a number of bars and restaurants in close vicinity.  To get free parking for shopping in the store, you have to log into one of a number of terminals on the packing bench to identify your vehicle before leaving the store.

The parking cameras run 24/7. Naturally, the terminal system isn't available when the store is closed.  🤣

Just cover up the numberplates on entry and exit. 

I bet the signs aren't very clear  don't having advertising consent and the car park operator isn't paying business rates on there business premises. I.e the car park and you can be certain that if you use an O instead of a 0 they will chase you for up to 6 years as you didnt validate your parking. 

The fun thing to try is visit at say 9pm and drive straight in and out and then do the same at another similar ANPR camera controlled  private car park nearby. 

Then revisit both again several hours later, drive in and straight out. 

There's a good chance both car park operators  will generate an invoice for unauthorised parking when you can prove the car was elsewhere.

Even more fun if the same company runs both car parks. 

Our Tesco store brought in  a system where you had to validate a voucher obtained at the till, as long as you spent £5, using a machine outside. 

You had to search for the photo of your car arriving though to validate against. 

The often 50% full car park became about 30% full and it was noticably quieter in the store too

We don't shop there anymore. Too complicated. 

Andy

• Like 10
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 4

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, SM42 said:

We don't shop there anymore. Too complicated. 

A Sainsbury's near here has introduced barriers at the checkout that don't let you out unless you scan a barcode on your receipt. I've not been back to experiment with what happens if you decide not to make a purchase.

• Like 5
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2
  • Friendly/supportive 2

22 minutes ago, Compound2632 said:

A Sainsbury's near here has introduced barriers at the checkout that don't let you out unless you scan a barcode on your receipt. I've not been back to experiment with what happens if you decide not to make a purchase.

A queue builds up.

Safeway  used to have a man checking receipts at a barrier at the car park exit, but in reality the barrier was always up and he only glanced at those offered . 

Normally you just waved as you drove past and he waved back

Never an issue finding a space in the car park either. 

Andy

• Like 7
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

The first year that Warley was at the NEC, there was little obvious information about paying to park. 

When they tried to charge us on exit from the car park ( the first we had heard payment mentioned) my brother, who was driving, refused to pay, pointing out it didn't say anything about it when we arrived. 

They said they wouldn't let him  out till he paid 

"OK"  he said, he then closed the window and turned the engine off. 

As it was the end of the day with several shows kicking out, they soon lifted the barrier. 

It was the first and last time he's been to the NEC

Andy

Edited by SM42
  • Like 9
  • Round of applause 3
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold

I've spent part of the afternoon inspecting my paint collection.

There are a lot of old tins, part used aerosols and other rusty looking specimens, that might once have held paint or varnish, that are going on a one way trip to the recycling centre next week.

The same applies to many of my timber offcuts.  I suspect that many of them have reached the stage of 'no longer on any practical use, but I'll hang on to them just in case'.

Anyone want a bag of threadbare socks, size 6-8?  They are all clean, and much loved🤣.

Nyda is currently making Bara Brith, so I am on lurking duties!

• Like 7
  • Funny 4

59 minutes ago, Happy Hippo said:

I've spent part of the afternoon inspecting my paint collection.

There are a lot of old tins, part used aerosols and other rusty looking specimens, that might once have held paint or varnish, that are going on a one way trip to the recycling centre next week.

The same applies to many of my timber offcuts.  I suspect that many of them have reached the stage of 'no longer on any practical use, but I'll hang on to them just in case'.

My paint collection isn’t bad. I think most of them are colours still on active display somewhere in or on the house.

Timber and wood is a different matter. A lot of it is being kept “just in case” and my wife thinks that could be dumped. The problem is that “just in case” does sometimes happen. For example, today, at my wife’s request, I am going to use one foot length of a 6x4 timber, which has been kept for at least two years. 

When (if?) we downsize, a lot of stuff is going to the tip. In the meantime …

• Like 9

One thing that does terrify me about the thought of ever returning to the UK is parking. The only place I ever have to pay for parking around here is at the airport. Mind you, parking in the major cities here can get very expensive too.

• Like 5
  • Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 5

11 hours ago, pH said:

I believe 7 out of the 9 units on that train are tunnel motors, the first of which were built in 1972. The design was a structural attempt to solve the problem of locomotives overheating in tunnels, adopted because:

“Before the introduction of microprocessor technology, locomotives didn’t have the ability to self-govern and would quickly overheat and fail in these conditions.”

I would assume locomotive technology at the time was also not up to controlling fuel input based on exhaust temperature. You certainly don’t see smoke displays like that from well-maintained modern locomotives. (Though, apparently, some of the fairly recent EMD products could produce fireballs from the exhaust stacks under certain conditions. I can’t find the reference to that at the moment.)

Those "skilled in the art" should be able to quickly calculate the volume of air required for complete combustion while producing 1000 bhp. The total  volume required for that little lot must be pretty impressive 😆

• Like 2
  • Agree 6

• RMweb Premium
6 hours ago, Happy Hippo said:

Perhaps looking at a crashed and unexploded 'Doodlebug' might be more appropriate.

I was told the story of the Morrison brothers by Superintendent David Snowden in the mid 80's. He might well be one of the PC's in the picture. 

Jamie

• Like 7

• RMweb Premium
1 minute ago, AndyID said:

Those "skilled in the art" should be able to quickly calculate the volume of air required for complete combustion while producing 1000 bhp. The total  volume required for that little lot must be pretty impressive 😆

The working, known as the oil cans was welknown and much photographed.  The tanks were, IIRC, all connected together. 

Jamie

• Like 6