Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

The Night Mail

5 hours ago, jamie92208 said:

I sincerely hope that no cakes were harmed when Eccles was being widened. Though my purchases this year included both Eccles and Chorley cakes..  The latter are lovely with a good layer of butter spread in top.  I had one for supper last night. 

Jamie

When they put the motorway M602 in it used to end at Eccles and for a considerable number of years there was a stretch of cleared land running from Eccles down to Ordsell- they'd compulsory purchased the properties but run out of money to finish it. I can't remember when they finished it late 80's?

The bit from Eccles up to the junction at Trafford is elevated but the Eccles section is in a cutting. It cut Eccles in two and much of Salford as well.

• Informative/Useful 8

• RMweb Gold
6 hours ago, iL Dottore said:

Is it OK if you make it with Suzie or Annie?

I don’t know about her trifle but Suzette’s pancake wasn’t very good. 

• Funny 8

Well the trip home was going well for rush hour Brum, until I got to within 2 miles of home 

Road closed. 

Odd that an A road should be closed so early in the evening with no advance warning notices in the weeks before.

Wonder what the council ( other utilities are avaliable) are up to now. 

Anyway apple cake and custard has just been presented.

Must dash. 

Andy

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 11

21 minutes ago, SM42 said:

Well the trip home was going well for rush hour Brum, until I got to within 2 miles of home 

Road closed. 

Odd that an A road should be closed so early in the evening with no advance warning notices in the weeks before.

Wonder what the council ( other utilities are avaliable) are up to now. 

Anyway apple cake and custard has just been presented.

Must dash. 

Andy

Now Andy resist the temptation, strong though it may be, to consume your apple cake with a serving of fresh flower. Leave it for later.

• Funny 9

1 hour ago, Tony_S said:

I don’t know about her trifle but Suzette’s pancake wasn’t very good. 

I think that the joke would work better as:

I don’t know about her trifle but Suzette’s pancake was Crêpe

Jest saying 😁😄

• Like 1
  • Agree 3
  • Craftsmanship/clever 4
  • Round of applause 3

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, iL Dottore said:

Hmm, Trifle vs Tiramisu?

The tiramisu I make is from a friend's recipe that resulted from her starting to make a tiramisu then realising after the shops closed that she didn't have the correct ingredients and deciding to substitute. It consists of a packet of Jaffa cakes placed chocolate side up in a flat bottomed bowl then soaked in a mix of very strong coffee, rum and brandy. This is then covered with a mix of cream cheese, whipped cream and more rum which then has crumbled chocolate flakes sprinkled on top. I've made it many times and there has never been any left, even though it is probably not the healthiest concoction.

My Mum in Law used to make the finest trifle using, as far as I am aware, the ingredients that Compound mentioned and on Christmas eve she would make lots of them for family and friends. They were in great demand and were delicious.

Dave

• Like 9
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
33 minutes ago, iL Dottore said:

I think that the joke would work better as:

I don’t know about her trifle but Suzette’s pancake was Crêpe

Jest saying 😁😄

I was being very subtle for the foodie fans. 

• Funny 6
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
24 minutes ago, Dave Hunt said:

My Mum in Law used to make the finest trifle

When I was young Mum used to make a fairly traditional trifle with trifle sponges, jelly, custard and fruit. For some reason I recall tinned mandarin oranges. Then she discovered Birds Trifoe which was trifle in a box, just add liquids. Aditi was quite surprised I didn’t like trifle. She has made a few and they are rather good. When we were popular years ago and the family visited at Christmas, Aditi would always make,a trifle. 
Tonight we had a blackberry and apple crumble with ice cream. I don’t often eat dessert but it was a nice change. 

Edited by Tony_S
  • Like 10
  • Friendly/supportive 1

1 minute ago, Dave Hunt said:

The tiramisu I make is from a friend's recipe that resulted from her starting to make a tiramisu then realising after the shops closed that she didn't have the correct ingredients and deciding to substitute. It consists of a packet of Jaffa cakes placed chocolate side up in a flat bottomed bowl then soaked in a mix of very strong coffee, rum and brandy. This is then covered with a mix of cream cheese, whipped cream and more rum which then has crumbled chocolate flakes sprinkled on top. I've made it many times and there has never been any left, even though it is probably not the healthiest concoction.

Sounds very tasty, but it isn’t a Tiramisu.

Forgive me, but when it comes to traditional or classical recipes then I firmly believe they should be done according to the original recipe, any deviation from that can be very tasty indeed, but it isn’t a “proper” whatever. Of course, certain recipes (e.g. beef stew and dumplings, bollito misto) have as many authentic variations as there are mums and Nonnas that make them. Others - such as Steak & Kidney Puddings, Madeira cake, etc., must follow the original recipes or they aren’t Steak & Kidney Pudding, Madeira cake, etc.

For what it’s worth, my Tiramisu - which follows the original recipe - involves savoyard biscuits, mascarpone, egg yolks, coffee liqueur* (I use Kahlua) a few cups of ristretto (a stronger form of an espresso) and cocoa powder (sprinkled over the top of the finished dessert). For some reason if I’m cooking an Italian meal for friends, this is always requested and for some reason there never are any leftovers…

Incidentally, it is claimed (by some) that “tiramisu has aphrodisiac effects and was concocted by a 19th-century Treviso brothel madam, as the Accademia Del Tiramisù explains, to "solve the problems they may have had with their conjugal duties on their return to their wives

* the origins of Tiramisu are lost , some claim that coffee liquer or masala shouldn’t be used in a Tiramisu, other claim it should. I’m one of the shoulds…

• Like 9
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Gold
53 minutes ago, iL Dottore said:

For what it’s worth, my tiramisu has aphrodisiac effects and was concocted by a 19th-century Treviso brothel madam, as the Accademia Del Tiramisù explains, to "solve the problems they may have had with their conjugal duties on their return to their wives

* the origins of Tiramisu are lost , some claim that coffee liquer or masala shouldn’t be used in a Tiramisu, other claim it should. I’m one of the shoulds…

That's better editing out all the ingredients...

• Like 1
  • Round of applause 1
  • Funny 9

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, iL Dottore said:

Madeira cake

We had a Madeira cake earlier this week. Aditi had noticed a lack of anything to accompany afternoon tea. She likes making cakes but we are careful in consuming them due to diabetics constraints (not too arduous for us to comply fortunately). So half the cake went in the freezer and a couple of slices went next door to our neighbours. The Madeira cake in Madeira is not at all like the one served up here in the UK 

Also according to a recipe I found on the internet, an American cookery website said anyone in the UK wouldn’t be able to make her Madeira cake as we don’t have cake flour easily available. 

• Like 7
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

First the good news: It's going to warm up to 26F tomorrow,

The bad news: That's because of the cloud clover, and it's going to dump a foot of snow.

The good news: Aspen got clobbered!

🤣

• Like 7
  • Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Premium
12 hours ago, Tony_S said:

We had a Madeira cake earlier this week. Aditi had noticed a lack of anything to accompany afternoon tea. She likes making cakes but we are careful in consuming them due to diabetics constraints (not too arduous for us to comply fortunately). So half the cake went in the freezer and a couple of slices went next door to our neighbours. The Madeira cake in Madeira is not at all like the one served up here in the UK 

Also according to a recipe I found on the internet, an American cookery website said anyone in the UK wouldn’t be able to make her Madeira cake as we don’t have cake flour easily available. 

Funnily enough cake flour is one of the things we are often asked to bring back from the UK.  Beth can't get on with French Self raising flour, aka Farine de Gateaux.  

Jamie

Edited by jamie92208
  • Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 4
  • Friendly/supportive 1

14 hours ago, Winslow Boy said:

The fact that you know the sound the trifle makes when it leaves the bowl is a tad worrying. But the rest was quite informative.

I thought everyone knew that lovely slurpy sound...

• Like 1
  • Agree 5

• RMweb Premium
17 hours ago, Hroth said:

You should try them with lime jelly cream, made with gin...

Sadly as they are no longer able to partake of such earthly delights I will have to toast them on their behalf.  Beth has ample stocks of gin. 

Jamie

• Like 6

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, Hroth said:

I thought everyone knew that lovely slurpy sound...

Like a hippo leaving a wallow in the hollow...

In other news I have to face the ordeal of the car parking at the Royal Shrewbury Hospital this afternoon.

The appointment is only a check up, but for those that don't know, the car parking is a f*ck up. You can easily spend 30 minutes or so looking for a non existent space.

Nyda and I now go over together, and the attendee gets dropped at the door and the driver drives to the local retail park for a mooch around and a coffee.  It's easier, less stressful and probably cheaper!

Unfortunately we have to repeat the experience next Monday as well.

Doubly annoying when the local PRH is only three miles away.

• Friendly/supportive 16

• RMweb Premium
5 hours ago, bbishop said:

I hate trifle.

I used to, then started eating the late Dragon in laws alcohloic version for politeness sake and came to like it. 

Jamie

Edited by jamie92208
  • Like 7
  • Funny 2

1 hour ago, jamie92208 said:

I sed to then started eating the late Dragon in laws alcohloic version for politeness sake and came to like it. 

Jamie

Given the spelling, I think Jamie is still eating it.

• Round of applause 1
  • Funny 10