Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

The Night Mail

• RMweb Gold
6 minutes ago, iL Dottore said:

A wiser (and chastened) iD eventually arrived at the conclusion that "when you gotta go, go pro" - which has served me well ever since.

Back to the tale of the origins of Tiramisu!

• Like 5

• RMweb Gold
4 hours ago, New Haven Neil said:

Oh that came out odd - iD, they're great, at the best part of a grand perhaps a bit spendy for me.  Canal Digger, yes, that's exactly what I'm looking for, did you make them or can you say where they came from please?

I had found that site, but the 'POA' always worries me!  I'm thinking more Ikea than custom made prices!

They used to have a stand at some of the smaller railway shows, and were on the traders list at Warley, so their prices for their stock items were not too frightening.

Edited by Happy Hippo
spling
  • Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 3

I remember ice on the inside of the windows LAST WEEK! The windows are double glazed too.

In fairness it was the coldest it's ever been since we came here 28 years ago and the concertina thermal blinds were working as they should.

• Like 6
  • Friendly/supportive 2

And to continue on the subject of salesmen - they really hate it when you know exactly what you want. They definitely do not want to hear: "I want the Sprang und Rollocks 1958-A1 oven with rotary controls and I definitely do NOT want the Sprang und Rollocks 1958-A1a oven with touch screen controls and pyrolytic cleaning"

Research is the key and if you can find trade prices even better, then you can say things like "the average trade price for the Sprang und Rollocks 1958-A1 oven with rotary controls is £534.27 how much extra would you charge to purchase it for us and install it"

What I think many salesmen don't grasp is that if they charge you a fair and equitable price, then they are likely to get more/repeat business from you.

• Like 3
  • Agree 5
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium

It was a point of much argument as a kid, the house (50's semi) had 'partial' central heating- ie the downstairs rooms and the parentals bedroom had radiators, mine and big bruvvers didn't.  My room was on the outside corner with two outside walls and was colder than even the loo.  Parents couldn't see what the issue was, they were warm enough, while I had the ice on the bedsheets job.  I would have been about 10 or so when they had the rest of the house done, a big day for me!

• Like 12
  • Friendly/supportive 3

16 minutes ago, iL Dottore said:

A wiser (and chastened) iD eventually arrived at the conclusion that "when you gotta go, go pro" - which has served me well ever since.

I'm having a hard time keeping up with this thread. Are we talking here about kitchens or courtesans?

• Round of applause 1
  • Funny 16

1 minute ago, AndyID said:

I'm having a hard time keeping up with this thread. Are we talking here about kitchens or courtesans?

Obviously, it applies equally to both.

But for the purposes of discussion we're talking about kitchen equipment specifically and various items of equipment (e.g. chisels or drills) in general.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Round of applause 1

• RMweb Gold
2 minutes ago, AndyID said:

That's why I mentioned the Tiramisu!

If I recall correctly, the Tiramisu kept up the thread after the courtesans.

• Like 3
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

12 minutes ago, New Haven Neil said:

It was a point of much argument as a kid, the house (50's semi) had 'partial' central heating- ie the downstairs rooms and the parentals bedroom had radiators, mine and big bruvvers didn't.  My room was on the outside corner with two outside walls and was colder than even the loo.  Parents couldn't see what the issue was, they were warm enough, while I had the ice on the bedsheets job.  I would have been about 10 or so when they had the rest of the house done, a big day for me!

Wow, Neil. We  really are heading towards "the 4 Yorkshiremen sketch" territory on this thread.....,

All together now....

"You call that cold? When I was a lad...."

• Funny 16

I've just returned from the exhibition "From Myth to Manga" at the Young V&A (formally The Bethnal Green Museum of Childhood). A lovely exhibition albeit a bit sparse.

Afterwards I wandered around the museum (occasionally booting an errant rugrat out of the way with my size 14 Doc Martens) and found the museum nicely done, not dumbed down (surprisingly) but achingly "right on"

There were quite a few display cases full of Dolls Houses (some of which were very impressive) but those mainstays of childhood for over a hundred years: the toy train, the toy car, the toy soldier, barely a quarter of a display. And of Paddington (the bear), Wallace and Gromit and Thomas The Tank Engine - not even a mention in passing!

• Like 4
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

2 hours ago, jamie92208 said:

Ah, but look at the positives, you will be on your own in the store unsupervised. 

You make an excellent point. 

Unfortunatley I am not in the market for such supplies yet.

Doesn't stop me browsing though. 

You never know 

Andy

Edited by SM42
  • Like 7
  • Round of applause 1

10 hours ago, pH said:

And you know this how? 🤨

Well, it does depend on some things a bit. The detectable DC current flowing through our bods is 5 milliamps. Our bods have quite a low internal resistance so if it was an internal connection we could detect a few volts. But our skin has quite high resistance. As much as half a million ohms when dry but as low as a thousand ohms when wet. So to get a current to flow we have two skin contact "resistors" plus our internal resistance (which depends on the path length through the bod.)

My personal empirical experience says I can detect around 60 volts DC but, depending on my skin at the time, it could be a lot higher or a lot lower than that.

Edited by AndyID
  • Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 5

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, AndyID said:

Well, it does depend on some things a bit. The detectable DC current flowing through our bods is 5 milliamps. Our bods have quite a low internal resistance so if it was an internal connection we could detect a few volts. But our skin has quite high resistance. As much as half a million ohms when dry but as low as a thousand ohms when wet. So to get a current to flow we have two skin contact "resistors" plus our internal resistance (which depends on the path length through the bod.)

My personal empirical experience says I can detect around 60 volts DC but, depending on my skin at the time, it could be a lot higher or a lot lower than that.

Thus why occupants of 'Old Spaky' Had a wet sponge placed between the cap electrode and their scalp, or so it was depicted in The Green Mile. 

Jamie

Edited by jamie92208
  • Like 3
  • Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Round of applause 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, iL Dottore said:

Wow, Neil. We  really are heading towards "the 4 Yorkshiremen sketch" territory on this thread.....,

All together now....

"You call that cold? When I was a lad...."

My dad was Scots, made a Yorkshireman look generous.  'nuff said.

• Funny 14

3 minutes ago, New Haven Neil said:

My dad was Scots, made a Yorkshireman look generous.  'nuff said.

I once heard it described thus.

" like a Yorkshire man  but without the frivolity "

Andy

• Agree 2
  • Funny 12

6 hours ago, New Haven Neil said:
20 hours ago, iL Dottore said:

One alternative to either of the above are clear plastic/plexiglass display tubes mounted on a rack which in

20 hours ago, Canal Digger said:

Anyway, some of this collection is in glass, wall-mounted cabinets in the Dining Room,

turn is mounted on the wall.

Expand  

Oh that came out odd - iD, they're great, at the best part of a grand perhaps a bit spendy for me.  Canal Digger, yes, that's exactly what I'm looking for, did you make them or can you say where they came from please?

Sorry, but they came from an auction locally. The glass cabinet did not have lights in until I fitted them, sourced from flea-bay. Glad that you like them

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, New Haven Neil said:

I can sympathise, but to raise the stakes a tad, not only were our bedrooms initially unheated (not even a storage heater, gas or electric fire) they also had louvered windows, fitted by the bas*ard previous owner.  The wind blew in, the wind blew out....  As a temporary measure, "glazing film" was stretched over them, which at least tempered the icy draught, but did little to make the rooms warmer!

Thankfully, along with the CH, conventional windows were fitted in time for the next winter.

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 12

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, SM42 said:

I once heard it described thus.

" like a Yorkshire man  but without the frivolity "

Andy

It has been said the other way round,that a Yorkshireman is like a Scotsman with his pockets sewn up. 

Jamie

• Like 1
  • Agree 2
  • Funny 6

• RMweb Gold
16 minutes ago, AndyID said:

"The streets were deserted. It was like Aberdeen on a flag day."

I have never been to Aberdeen. Probably the nearest was somewhere in the Cairngorms on a day out from from a camping holiday next to the Moray Firth. Going out for a drive was a good way of keeping warm. 
We will be sailing past in the summer as we head north on our way to Iceland.I am not sure whether we will be able to see Aberdeen from,whatever course the cruise ship is on. 

• Like 9

3 minutes ago, Tony_S said:

I have never been to Aberdeen. Probably the nearest was somewhere in the Cairngorms on a day out from from a camping holiday next to the Moray Firth. Going out for a drive was a good way of keeping warm. 
We will be sailing past in the summer as we head north on our way to Iceland.I am not sure whether we will be able to see Aberdeen from,whatever course the cruise ship is on. 

I have a brother in the Granite City. The background radiation level is a bit higher there because of the granite.

• Like 8
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, AndyID said:

I have a brother in the Granite City. The background radiation level is a bit higher there because of the granite.

I spent a few years as a small child living on what is now known to be a radon hotspot! With that and the strontium 90 about then I am surprised I don’t glow in  the dark!

Edited by Tony_S
  • Like 5
  • Funny 3
  • Friendly/supportive 4

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, Hroth said:

I can sympathise, but to raise the stakes a tad, not only were our bedrooms initially unheated (not even a storage heater, gas or electric fire) they also had louvered windows, fitted by the bas*ard previous owner.  The wind blew in, the wind blew out....  As a temporary measure, "glazing film" was stretched over them, which at least tempered the icy draught, but did little to make the rooms warmer!

Thankfully, along with the CH, conventional windows were fitted in time for the next winter.

Louvered windows, the burglars delight. They disappeared when the insurance companies jacked the premiums up.

• Like 5
  • Agree 1