Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

The Night Mail

9 hours ago, Tony_S said:

............................... I have started to order Guinness Zero instead of Diet Coke.

It isn’t quite the same as normal Guinness . 

Me too

It's a lot closer to the real thing than a lot of other 0% stuff sold over the bar.

I suspect it's because it doesn't have the same effect after 5 or 6 that the 'full fat' Guinness does.

• Like 12
  • Friendly/supportive 1

Funny the people you meet. I was at our local last night and I was chatting with a guy who turned out to be the pathologist at the hospital in town. He and his wife were both in the Air Force and she is now a 747 pilot for an airfreight company 😆

• Like 13
  • Round of applause 1

• RMweb Premium

My learned (???) take on the first weekend of the 6 Nations:

England - the jury is out.

Wales - oops but had they turned up before half time things could have been quite different.

Scotland - the jury is also out.

Ireland - Grand Slam highly likely.

France - not what they were last year.

Italy - as for France but in a positive way.

Dave

• Like 10
  • Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 2

55 minutes ago, Dave Hunt said:

My learned (???) take on the first weekend of the 6 Nations:

England - the jury is out.

Wales - oops but had they turned up before half time things could have been quite different.

Scotland - the jury is also out.

Ireland - Grand Slam highly likely.

France - not what they were last year.

Italy - as for France but in a positive way.

Dave

The last time I went to a rugby match 😟

• Like 9
  • Round of applause 1

2 hours ago, AndyID said:

The last time I went to a rugby match 😟.

I went through to Edinburgh on several international rugby days, but I only ever went to one game!

• Like 5
  • Funny 1

I ordered a pair of compression socks for my very-close-veins from Amazon Prime. They arrived on Friday then they arrived again, today, Saturday. Same order number and I was only charged for one pair.

So I decided to keep them and pay for them. Unfortunately Amazon didn't think of that scenario on their web interface so I eventually managed to talk to someone in some distant land or possibly on another planet. Unfortunately I think my request banjaxed his system 🤣  After a long "please hold" he asked me to call back later.

• Like 7
  • Round of applause 4

• RMweb Gold
4 hours ago, AndyID said:

I ordered a pair of compression socks for my very-close-veins from Amazon Prime. They arrived on Friday then they arrived again, today, Saturday. Same order number and I was only charged for one pair.

So I decided to keep them and pay for them. Unfortunately Amazon didn't think of that scenario on their web interface so I eventually managed to talk to someone in some distant land or possibly on another planet. Unfortunately I think my request banjaxed his system 🤣  After a long "please hold" he asked me to call back later.

I suppose that is a much better situation than the Convent of the Sisters of Devout Chastity receiving a large surprise gift box from Ann Summers.

• Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Funny 17

• RMweb Gold
5 minutes ago, Happy Hippo said:

I suppose that is a much better situation than the Convent of the Sisters of Devout Chastity receiving a large surprise gift box from Ann Summers.

Oh, I don't know....

• Funny 14

• RMweb Gold

Nyda is off out today at a Girlguiding UK training event.

Foolishly, she did not leave a tasking order.

Sensibly, I think carrying out some shopping and cleaning might be a wise option.

Edited by Happy Hippo
  • Like 1
  • Agree 5
  • Friendly/supportive 10

19 minutes ago, Happy Hippo said:

Nyda is off out today at a Girlguiding UK training event.

Foolishly, she did not leave a tasking order.

Sensibly, I think carrying out some shopping and cleaning might be a wise option.

All depends if you get the right type of shopping and undertake the correct type of cleaning. For example- other examples are available, if you purchase a selection of cakes and only clean the bits you can see I don't think you'll be collecting many brownie points.

• Agree 6
  • Funny 10

• RMweb Gold
1 minute ago, Winslow Boy said:

All depends if you get the right type of shopping and undertake the correct type of cleaning. For example- other examples are available, if you purchase a selection of cakes and only clean the bits you can see I don't think you'll be collecting many brownie points.

Wot if he buys fudge brownies?

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1
  • Funny 1

5 hours ago, AndyID said:

Your trying to break Amazon aren't you? Be honest.

Why can't you be like all there other customers- other terms are available, and accept there 'gift/mistake/c&ck up' instead of being honest.

• Like 6
  • Round of applause 1

• RMweb Gold
6 minutes ago, Winslow Boy said:

Your trying to break Amazon aren't you? Be honest.

Why can't you be like all there other customers- other terms are available, and accept there 'gift/mistake/c&ck up' instead of being honest.

A few years back I ordered a cheap Chinese lens from Amazon. After a couple of days it was en route, but subsequent tracking showed it out for delivery - in Hamburg. Amazon realised their error and gave me a refund, I don't think I even had to ask. Fairy nuff. Three weeks later the lens arrived....

Edited by Oldddudders
  • Like 7
  • Round of applause 2
  • Funny 7

• RMweb Premium

I must admit to liking Amazon, especially here the local site allows people to buy from a lot of Japanese and US Amazon sellers and some European sellers, GST is included and with Prime we get free delivery. A lot of Japanese model railway dealers use Amazon, meaning I can order Tomix, Kato, Green Max, Tenshodo etc very easily, and the shipping is barely longer than domestic UK orders. I admit my position is a bit different from most RMWeb members but compared to other local e-commerce platforms like Lazada and Shopee I find the Amazon interface and product search much better and for all their faults I've found there return policy to be no quible.

That said, I use AliExpress for Chinese model trains and despite a lot of scare stories about those nefarious Chinese I've never had a bad experience. I order trains, they're delivered as described. Chinese model trains aren't that widely distributed outside of China (there are overseas dealers but a lot of the good stuff doesn't get out of China and Hong Kong.

• Like 9
  • Informative/Useful 4

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Oldddudders said:

A few years back I ordered a cheap Chinese lens from Amazon. After a couple of days it was en route, but subsequent tracking showed it out for delivery - in Hamburg. Amazon realised their error and gave me a refund, I don't think I even had to ask. Fairy nuff. Three weeks later the lens arrived....

I had a similar experience with Banggood.  I ordered a load of cutting discs/sanding drums/mandrels etc for my mini drill and they didn't turn up.

I queried this and they immediately sent out another set.

Lo and behold, a few weeks later the original order turned up. 

I offered to pay for the extra set, or return what was now a double order, but they declined:  It was too difficult to process.

Does anyone want 50 Hungry Hippos?

• Like 8
  • Funny 3
  • Friendly/supportive 2

Mrs SM42 decreed that we shall go shopping in Worcester today. 

Rather than suffer this, I arranged  to drop her off and head further west to Malvern to peruse the wares and tat at a toy fair. 

Much more civilised than trawling round clothes shops. 

I am now back in Worcester, three 16t mineral wagons up ( shhh!)  and awaiting by Foregate St Station for her to drag herself out of the shops. 

I may be some time.  

Andy

Edited by SM42
  • Like 14

• RMweb Gold

A colleague was engaged in implementing station gating for a TOC. The usual method was to do an analysis of footfall at peak times, to calculate the number of gates required. He was tempted to skip that step at one of Worcester's stations..... 

• Funny 7

Surprisingly  Mrs SM42 managed to tear herself away from retail therapy and I only waited 15 minutes. 

Between getting home and Sunday lunch, I have made a start on a very old Parkside 21t mineral kit. 

By making a start, I mean have cleaned up the body mouldings. 

The rest of the time has been taken up with trying to tidy the modelling bench a bit. 

This involved making neat piles of wagons and wagon bits. 

The reason for this tidyimg was mainly to try and find the bits for the class 37 I have to finish off.

Unfortunately, no buried treasure has been located. 

Andy

• Like 9
  • Friendly/supportive 6

16 hours ago, pH said:

I went through to Edinburgh on several international rugby days, but I only ever went to one game!

But you did spend a fair bit of time on Rose Street 😄

• Like 5
  • Funny 1