Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

The Night Mail

• RMweb Gold
8 minutes ago, Hroth said:

That makes it sound like an EE Type 3 starting from cold...

It is only when it starts though. It isn’t an irritating noise unlike the pop pop exhausts fitted to tiny hatchbacks to make them sound faster. 

• Like 4
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

14 minutes ago, Tony_S said:

It is only when it starts though. It isn’t an irritating noise unlike the pop pop exhausts fitted to tiny hatchbacks to make them sound faster. 

Or as my driving instructor commented 

" If you're going to drive like an idiot, why advertise it?"

Sunday is also a day of rest at SM42 Towers. 

If I stay sober over lunch, I might get some modelling done. 

Andy

• Like 11
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
4 hours ago, SM42 said:

Travel chaos at Stourbridge last night. 

https://www.expressandstar.com/news/transport/2024/02/24/trains-through-stourbridge-cancelled-after-defect-found-on-train/

No trains running through Stourbridge 😀

Andy 

Is it just the shuttle service? Will they need to provide emergency accommodation and food for those stranded? 

Edited by Tony_S
  • Funny 6

5 minutes ago, Tony_S said:

Is the just the shuttle service? Will they need to provide emergency accommodation and food for those stranded? 

Undoubtedly would have needed to put people up in town unless they could find a fleet of 20 buses to replace the trains calling at all stations en route. 

Andy

• Funny 9

• RMweb Gold

Well, who would have thought that Italy would have held the French rugby team to a draw?

I caught the second half after I got back in this afternoon.  I quaffed Guinness whilst watching to celebrate with the Italians.

With that sort of result, Wales might have a chance of not ending up with this years Six Nations Rugby Wooden Spoon.

I didn't disgrace myself on the range this afternoon, although it was very cold and I ended up wearing two pairs of gloves.

This had an adverse effect on my trigger finger, which is missing a bit down the side as it is.

Pork and Ale sausages for tea tonight, along with cauliflower cheese.

• Like 13
  • Friendly/supportive 3

We had a little do on New Year's Day for the neighbors. There was some champagne but nobody wanted any so it stayed outside in a cooler on the deck and was forgotten about.

Today I happened to look inside the cooler and discovered that a rather large bottle of the stuff was completely shattered in the cooler. It was extremely cold here for around a week around the middle of January and I think the champagne must have frozen solid, expanded and shattered the glass bottle.

Champagne freezes at around -8C so it's not surprising that the glass let go because I think it was much colder than that. There were also two smaller bottles in the cooler but they remained intact although one of them does seem to have lost some of its fizz.

• Informative/Useful 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2
  • Friendly/supportive 10

• RMweb Gold
16 minutes ago, AndyID said:

Champagne freezes at around -8C so it's not surprising that the glass let go because I think it was much colder than that. There were also two smaller bottles in the cooler but they remained intact although one of them does seem to have lost some of its fizz.

I had a similar result once when I placed a bottle of Prosecco into the freezer to quickly chill and forgot about it. 

• Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 11

22 minutes ago, Tony_S said:

I had a similar result once when I placed a bottle of Prosecco into the freezer to quickly chill and forgot about it. 

I think it is more about the pressure vessel ( the bottle) being overpressurised when the carbonated fluid defrosts.

Had a can of Pepsi do it in the wine cooler whilst on holiday. 

Came home to find the door open, the remains of the can and sticky residue everywhere. 

No idea how long the fridge had been trying to cool the whole room so never trusted it after that. 

Anyway no modelling done today, but discussion had with our carpenter friend on sorting out  storage in the West Wing. 

Day off tomorrow and lots to do. 

Several  calls to make, bills to pay in the motherland and a coffee machine to descale are just the start. 

The  sander will probably come out to start  prep on the next paint job. 

There also some filling jobs to do. 

How much gets done, we shall see. 

Andy

• Like 13
  • Friendly/supportive 3

13 minutes ago, SM42 said:

I think it is more about the pressure vessel ( the bottle) being overpressurised when the carbonated fluid defrosts.

You could be right. Judging by the total destruction of the bottle there must have been a serious explosion 😆

• Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 3

After a quick bit of reading it seems that ice holds less CO2 than the liquid so as it starts to freeze, the CO2 pressure increases, the expanding liquid fill the empty spaces in the bottle, reducing the space and the gas pressure will likely beat the formation of ice in splitting the vessel.

It could in theory get up to 2000psi  apparently but by then the vessel would have ruptured  probably at around 80 - 100psi depending on what it is made of

Yikes

It involved physics and maths so I may have got it wrong a bit, but the basic premise is the dissolved gas will be released as the liquid freezes to create pressures far above the design limit of the vessel

Andy 

• Like 5
  • Informative/Useful 4
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 4
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

6 minutes ago, SM42 said:

After a quick bit of reading it seems that ice holds less CO2 than the liquid so as it starts to freeze, the CO2 pressure increases, the expanding liquid fill the empty spaces in the bottle, reducing the space and the gas pressure will likely beat the formation of ice in splitting the vessel.

It could in theory get up to 2000psi  apparently but by then the vessel would have ruptured  probably at around 80 - 100psi depending on what it is made of

Yikes

It involved physics and maths so I may have got it wrong a bit, but the basic premise is the dissolved gas will be released as the liquid freezes to create pressures far above the design limit of the vessel

Andy 

Yes, I was coming to a similar conclusion. Essentially the CO2 is forced to occupy a much smaller volume as it is no longer able to dissolve in the liquid.

• Informative/Useful 6

• RMweb Gold
8 hours ago, AndyID said:

Yes, I was coming to a similar conclusion. Essentially the CO2 is forced to occupy a much smaller volume as it is no longer able to dissolve in the liquid.

And fits in with your comment about one of the unbroken bottles having lost its fizz, it could perhaps have vented through a less than perfect cork. 

Edited by Tony_S
  • Agree 4
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 3

• RMweb Premium

An interesting discussion.  We have a half bottle of champagne style Cognac in our freezer.  It's been stored in there for a while with no problems,  it's well over 40% abv. The distillery owner told us to store it in the freezer and to serve it cold straight out of the freezer.  Presumably the high alcohol content has lowered the freezing point. As it will have to be finished in one session we are waiting till we have the right company around. It con't be called fizzy Cognac by law. 

Jamie

• Like 5
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 5

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, jamie92208 said:

An interesting discussion.  We have a half bottle of champagne style Cognac in our freezer.  It's been stored in there for a while with no problems,  it's well over 40% abv. The distillery owner told us to store it in the freezer and to serve it cold straight out of the freezer.  Presumably the high alcohol content has lowered the freezing point. As it will have to be finished in one session we are waiting till we have the right company around. It con't be called fizzy Cognac by law. 

Jamie

PB and I are on our way...

• Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Round of applause 2
  • Funny 12

• RMweb Gold

It appears quite chilly outside, and I have been 'asked' to do some stem cleaning of the hard floor downstairs.

No time scale has been set on this (apart from it being done today), which is a good thing as this morning, I need to get over to Lidl where a free Belgian bun is awaiting collection(providing they haven't all been sold.

I also have to go over to the chemists to pick up the new eye drops I was prescribed last Friday.

Whilst I'm out I'd better fuel the car up for tomorrow's trip to Hereford.

• Like 14
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Happy Hippo said:

PB and I are on our way...

I thought that it would be none other than DH that would accompany you. As PB doesn't touch alcohol there would be more for us, maybe that's your cunning plan. 

Jamie

• Like 4
  • Agree 2
  • Round of applause 1
  • Funny 3

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, jamie92208 said:

I thought that it would be none other than DH that would accompany you. As PB doesn't touch alcohol there would be more for us, maybe that's your cunning plan. 

Jamie

Dave is off on his cruise shortly, and I don't think Jill would give him a day off from that.

• Agree 1
  • Funny 10
  • Friendly/supportive 2

1 hour ago, SM42 said:

Wait for me

Andy

Good idea as I believe Jamie might be in need of some of your 'fresh flour' as he's been carrying out some works to his lounge. Just make certain you charge him your 'continental rates' and not the South Hipposhires ones.

• Funny 11