RMweb

The Night Mail

• RMweb Premium

Before leaving the RAF you have a final medical examination to check whether there are any existing or pre-existing conditions that could be attributal to service life.  I was noted as being partially high tone deaf and a few years earlier would have been eligible for a pension increase as a result bur so many retirees were found to be so afflicted (surprise, surprise!) and were getting enhanced pensions that the rules were changed and to qualify you had to be nearly stone deaf, which saved HMG a lot of cash. Well, the Senior Civil Service pay rises had to come from somewhere I guess. When I left I was asked whether I would like my civvy GP to have copies of all my service medical records, to which I agreed. Then when I started to fall apart, especially when my spinal trouble really set in, I did ask the consultant whether it could be because of my job, to which he said that it was certainly a possibility but not 100% guaranteed and since I has also played rugby, done a fair bit of hillwalking etc., the likelihood of persuading the powers that be to accept responsibility was about zero. To be honest I didn't expect anything but just asked the question out of curiosity as much as anything. At least I didn't suffer from Gulf War syndrome, which some guys I knew did and that really wasn't funny.

Dave

• Friendly/supportive 18

• RMweb Premium
14 minutes ago, Dave Hunt said:

I quite agree; when you think of all the horrible things in France......

Where they insist on eating some of them (and why do the French have no word for baguette?).

9 minutes ago, Dave Hunt said:

It's similar here but after the questions they still have to see the marker pen arrow.  And even when you are on a ward, when they come to give you medication they still have to ask you to confirm name and DOB and check them against your notes before handing over the happy pills. 

Being asked the same question multiple times = Irritating.

Waking up to find you've lost something you'd planned on making continued use of = rather more irritating

I will stake a handy sum that it was the NHS's lawyers, not clinicians, who pushed for the multi-stage checks to be introduced.

1 hour ago, monkeysarefun said:

Even harder for those who lived in the area at the time -  which  both the British and   Australian Governments  declared was unoccupied - Japan wasn't the only country to have its residents killed by a nuclear weapon.

I believe it was these Aboriginal communities who talk of "The Day of the Cloud".  Just another out of all-too-many examples of Government) being utterly callous towards these people.

Anyway, just returned from Farnborough where the credit card groaned at the purchase of a new sofa and chair.  I rewarded myself in Hobbycraft with an Airfix Lightning to add to the stash (I remember when they were about 1/10th of the current price).  Since the weather has been traditional Bank Holiday, varying here between drizzle and biblical all today, the Freelander's much-delayed oil change will have to wait another day or two and I'm going to do some modelling.  It's my day off, so there.

• Like 15
  • Round of applause 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

I have a hard week ahead. 

In work tomorrow but off on a site visit so not the most taxing of days. 

Next shift then is Saturday. 

I may get some modelling in, I may not.

There is some garden work to do and a day of spring cleaning at the club on Wednesday, other than that I am relatively task free. 

Not even any painting to do. 

I feel a bit lost. 

Andy

• Like 6
  • Funny 4
  • Friendly/supportive 7

• RMweb Premium
42 minutes ago, Dave Hunt said:

At least I didn't suffer from Gulf War syndrome, which some guys I knew did and that really wasn't funny.

Dave

Did it affect any Aircrew that you know of?

• Like 3
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 4

• RMweb Gold
38 minutes ago, Northmoor said:

the Freelander's much-delayed oil change will have to wait another day or two

I had given up on DIY car stuff by the time I got a Freelander but I did have the occasional crawl underneath to see if all was well. Is the lower engine cover difficult to remove to access the sump plug? I haven’t done an oil change on the Evoque either.  
In the past, I always seemed to end up doing car maintenance on horrible cars in bad weather. Now we have nice cars that get serviced  at main dealers I can relax and play trains in the garage. 

• Like 14

• RMweb Premium
Posted (edited)
10 minutes ago, polybear said:

Did it affect any Aircrew that you know of?

Just one fast jet guy that I know of but a few helo operators did.

Dave

Edited by Dave Hunt
Correction
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Friendly/supportive 10

• RMweb Premium
6 minutes ago, Tony_S said:

I had given up on DIY car stuff by the time I got a Freelander but I did have the occasional crawl underneath to see if all was well. Is the lower engine cover difficult to remove to access the sump plug? 

Yes, held in place by "scrivets" and even on blocks, with the car half on/half off the sloping area outside our garage, it's a pain to access.  Which is why the job's been delayed for so long and I've now bought a £20 oil sump pump off eBay.

• Like 9
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
Posted (edited)
24 minutes ago, Northmoor said:

Yes, held in place by "scrivets" and even on blocks, with the car half on/half off the sloping area outside our garage, it's a pain to access.  Which is why the job's been delayed for so long and I've now bought a £20 oil sump pump off eBay.

One nice  YouTube video is being filmed on a crash repair car with all the bodywork panels and cover removed. Makes it look easy but the person making the video was still spilling oil and generally making a mess.  
Whatever holds the lower engine cover on my Evoque must be quite effective. Last November we were travelling between Kettering and Grantham at night when I thought the road surface ahead, at the bottom of a slight downhill stretch, looked odd. What looked like shiny tarmac in the dark was  flood water coming off fields. This was on a road with a 60 mph limit. I had slowed down a lot but there was quite a whoompf sound and water splashed right over the roof, even though it was a lot less than the cars safe wading depth. I suspect it was deep enough to give the cars  underside a good smack.  No missing bits though.

Edited by Tony_S
  • Like 6
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 4
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, Northmoor said:

the Freelander's much-delayed oil change will have to wait another day or two and I'm going to do some modelling.  It's my day off, so there.

My son in Law,who insists on sorting out anything to do with the(his) families cars, has continually neglected to heed the advice of changing the cam belt every 5 years or 75k miles (whichever comes first).  It is now over 101K miles

At the beginning of last week their Ford Galaxy stopped after the brief sound of four gnomes hammering on little tin drums emanated from the engine bay. 

The belt had expired, and with it all the valves.  

I've not heard what's happened to the top of the cylinders, but it is not going to be a cheap repair.

I have no sympathy for him.

• Agree 10
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Friendly/supportive 7

7 hours ago, jjb1970 said:

Some of the snakes are best avoided though.

Personally, rather than spending time trying to identify a snake as “avoid/no need to avoid”, I would avoid them all.

• Like 4
  • Agree 12
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Premium

New wagon enters service.  Dingham couplings courtesy HH and Baz, thanks boys.

20240506_1712411.jpg.36093f0b4708702f9956b1842620cb0e.jpg

This is currently the shedmaster's favourite still.

20240506_1713121.jpg.ee850d1a9c03cf7620859de9c16c4bb1.jpg

ION, ages ago I had a chat here with someone about Joe Works 009 locos was it Tony? @Tony_S anyway I found the remains today, of the Gamecock Peckett.  It's rough.  Run to death on an exhibition layout years ago, and rattled round in a box for years since.  The other, little Yankee one has fallen to bits, the motor mount clips have snapped off the chassis - it's scrap basically.  :-(

20240506_1458381.jpg.25b6bb2a41fd6e7b01ce378e681f8fbd.jpg

• Like 19

4 hours ago, Happy Hippo said:

My son in Law,who insists on sorting out anything to do with the(his) families cars, has continually neglected to heed the advice of changing the cam belt every 5 years or 75k miles (whichever comes first).  It is now over 101K miles

At the beginning of last week their Ford Galaxy stopped after the brief sound of four gnomes hammering on little tin drums emanated from the engine bay. 

I've not heard what's happened to the top of the cylinders, but it is not going to be a cheap repair.

My first car was a '55 VW which cost me 35 quid. On one occasion a valve head separated from the valve stem on a motorway. The valve head punched a hole in the piston then proceeded to shot peen everything else inside the engine. The noise was quite impressive. I knew there was a serious problem when I removed the spark plugs and discovered one of them was smashed to bits. 🤣

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 3
  • Friendly/supportive 14

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, AndyID said:

My first car was a '55 VW which cost me 35 quid. On one occasion a valve head separated from the valve stem on a motorway. The valve head punched a hole in the piston then proceeded to shot peen everything else inside the engine. The noise was quite impressive. I knew there was a serious problem when I removed the spark plugs and discovered one of them was smashed to bits. 🤣

That was a common problem with VW flat four engines. It was always the same cylinder IIRC, something to do with it not receiving enough cooling air.

• Like 2
  • Agree 4
  • Informative/Useful 6

• RMweb Premium
Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, New Haven Neil said:

NThis is currently the shedmaster's favourite still.

20240506_1713121.jpg.ee850d1a9c03cf7620859de9c16c4bb1.jpg

And here I was expecting something entirely different!

Edited by J. S. Bach
To edit the post
  • Like 9
  • Agree 1
  • Round of applause 1

1 hour ago, PhilJ W said:

That was a common problem with VW flat four engines. It was always the same cylinder IIRC, something to do with it not receiving enough cooling air.

Possibly not enough oil too. Those engines were, to a great extent, oil cooled.

• Like 6
  • Agree 3
  • Informative/Useful 2

7 hours ago, Happy Hippo said:

Now, if he'd bought a Ford Galaxie that would never have happened 😄

• Like 2
  • Funny 8

• RMweb Premium

Can't have been as bad as those old NSU Wankel engines...... 

The biggest engine failure I say was on sea trials for a new build Containers ship. We left Kure for the inland sea and were increasing revs when there was a most unpleasant sound as all three main engine turbos failed (it was a big 48MW Sulzer). DU (the engine builder) blamed ABB who in turn blamed SKF, it was still in court last I heard about it. Bit embarrassing to have to be towed back to the yard by tugs, but the reaction of the IHI people on board was classic. In a European yard it'd have been pretty much 'well **** happens, that's what sea trials are for' whereas I got the impression that in an earlier time the Japanese would have been committing seppuku or something.

Another one which was more impressive but a much smaller engine was another newbuild this time in Norway. During commissioning tests a generator breaker closed out of phase sequence, the resulting forces ripped the engine off the bed plate. Apparently that wasn't meant to happen '.

• Like 5
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 11

• RMweb Premium

One of the actuaries I worked for told me of his experience being conscripted. (Back when the Brits did things like that.)

He had heard that he could be "excused boots" for having weak feet.  He applied.  Then he noticed that during the next couple of weeks while his squad was being marched off one place, he was going somewhere else.  At the end of the weeks he was discharged, and applied back at the office where he'd just been given a farewell party!

During his studies he learned that weak feet could become flat feet and that, being a deterioration, would qualify him for a disability pension.  Starting with flat feet would not be a deterioration.

• Like 12
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Round of applause 1

15 hours ago, Northmoor said:

I will stake a handy sum that it was the NHS's lawyers, not clinicians, who pushed for the multi-stage checks to be introduced.

Not necessarily (although an over abundance of checks probably IS due to - ahem - “legal advice”).

Surgery has always been a high pressure (and sometimes high stress) specialty and, humans being humans, mistakes do get made. I know of cases when patients just about ready to leave theatre had to be opened up again as an instrument and dressing count showed something missing (important rule: always check the floor first). Studies found that by adopting a check-list approach as used by pilots (and by railwaymen in Japan), errors drop precipitously.

Having said that, given the NHS’s frequently woeful lack of administrative competence (as recounted by NHN and many others) it’s perhaps as well you do have multiple checks.

• Like 3
  • Agree 5
  • Informative/Useful 5
  • Round of applause 1