Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

The Night Mail

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, Dave Hunt said:

In my early RAF days I knew a couple of the pilots who flew in the BoB film and one of them described the filmed scenes, despite some careful control and briefing, as 'raving dangerous.'

Probably very realistic then......?

• Agree 11

• RMweb Premium
Posted (edited)

I am whipped, I just finished harvesting the hay er, mowing the lawn; all acre and a half or so. Luckily I have this:

05mar19-Lawnmowernew002.jpg.b943410e228ffdb3f17f776c35c1ef55.jpg

EDIT: The hard part (for me, anyway) is getting the ambition to get on it and start. Once on and doing the job, it is sort of fun. Note that it is capable of about 10 MPH flat out on relatively level ground.

When I first got it, I could not resist staying in one place with one arm all the way to the front and one arm all the way to the rear. It will actually rotate about it center axis leaving a circular cut in the grass.

With the arms out as in the photo, the transmission is locked and it will not move; also one has to be seated to get it to move; It can be started with out being seated as for maintenance or idling. Two safety devices that are very easy to co-operate with.

Note that the brand is HUSTLER and the model RAPTOR LIMITED.

Edited by J. S. Bach
To add some information
  • Like 16
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, J. S. Bach said:

Note that the brand is HUSTLER and the model RAPTOR 

Otherwise B58 and F22.

Dave

Ah, beaten to it by HH. Rats!

Edited by Dave Hunt
  • Like 2
  • Funny 8
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
29 minutes ago, Hroth said:

Is that what happens when the airbags go off?

I only picked the picture because it had Sebastian Bach written on the cover.

It would have been better as Dau Twmp

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Funny 9

• RMweb Premium
5 minutes ago, Happy Hippo said:

I only picked the picture because it had Sebastian Bach written on the cover.

It would have been better as Dau Twmp

Which two mounds are those then?

Dave

(OK, I admit I had to look it up)

• Like 1
  • Funny 12

3 hours ago, Dave Hunt said:

Which two mounds are those then?

Dave

(OK, I admit I had to look it up)

They're the Paps of Scilla*.... 😃

* But not "Our Cilla"!

• Like 1
  • Round of applause 1
  • Funny 9

• RMweb Premium

On inquiries and associated work, that can get vicious.

When I worked for LR they did a lot of technical analysis for maritime accident investigations and reports and sometimes it was made very unpleasant and personal by advocacy groups representing those involved in the incident. I was lucky in that the ones I got involved with would only have been of interest to people in faraway places and I am not that bothered is a local paper in Indonesia considers me to be an evil tool of corporate greed and such like but anything of interest to the British media could become truly awful very quickly.

I had a friend who did a lot of work on the Derbyshire case. Accepted wisdom for many years was that the ship split apart because of a structural design fault (frame 65?) and it was all covered up by the government and others for various reasons. When they found the wreck and did a lot more informed analysis the reason for the loss was most likely failure of the fwd hatch covers and although the ship did split around the frame in question this was most likely because of excessive stresses as the ship went down and not the cause (I caveat because in any analysis there is some uncertainty). My mate did a lot of the structural analysis and was made a target of hate, legal threats, threats of violence etc for being part of a cover up. Now if people want to disagree with findings and analysis that's their prerogative,  but knowing the people concerned I have zero doubt that they did an impartial analysis using the best analytical tools and naval architectural knowledge available.

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 2
  • Friendly/supportive 17

• RMweb Premium

Another link. Steve Munro is one of the transit fans in Toronto.  Toronto has tried to convert King St to a transit (streetcar) mall by making car traffic turn right at every cross street.  Problems due mainly to insufficient enforcement, but see the traffic signals a bit down the post.

Toronto

• Like 7
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
4 hours ago, BR60103 said:

Reported in our newspaper today that places in the Middle East are interfering with GPS as a defensive measure. 

(hope this can be read)

I can’t read it but there were similar examples of gps jamming in the Baltic recently. 

• Like 4
  • Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 3

• RMweb Premium
10 hours ago, Hroth said:

They're the Paps of Scilla*.... 😃

* But not "Our Cilla"!

Known to generations of RAF aviators as Sally’s tits.

Dave

• Like 9
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Funny 2

• RMweb Premium

At one time GPS introduced deliberate inaccuracies for commercial users. Marine charts showed satellite derived positions as they weren't that accurate. After a few years they switched that feature off and gave everyone access to accurate positions.

• Like 8
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Gold

I am currently sitting in rhe courtyard of Chirk Castle waiting for Nyda and her friends to finish their tour of the castle. They are sucking up the culture, whilst I an enjoying the sunshine.

Lunch follows.

• Like 14
  • Round of applause 2

• RMweb Gold
19 minutes ago, Happy Hippo said:

I am currently sitting in rhe courtyard of Chirk Castle waiting for Nyda and her friends to finish their tour of the castle. They are sucking up the culture, whilst I an enjoying the sunshine.

Lunch follows.

I think Aditi hold world records in how long it takes to examine all the notices and information sheets in ancient buildings or museums. I am usually rooms ahead and try to look for a  seat until she catches up.

• Like 5
  • Funny 2
  • Friendly/supportive 6

1 hour ago, Tony_S said:

I think Aditi hold world records in how long it takes to examine all the notices and information sheets in ancient buildings or museums. I am usually rooms ahead and try to look for a  seat until she catches up.

She might be challenged for that record by our two boys. Their museum pace is snail like - the current record is two whole days for the Museum of Anthropology in Mexico City (which is a cracking museum by the way and well worth the time). They take their notebooks and start writing and sketching and that’s us done. Our twelve year old is small for his age and blonde and very often, particularly in south east Asia, he gets more attention from the other visitors than some of the exhibits…

• Like 8
  • Friendly/supportive 5

7 hours ago, Happy Hippo said:

Lunch follows.

On one visit to Chirk, there was an English Civil War group* doing a battle in the meadow at the foot of the castle, with skirmishes around the gatehouse.  After the battle, the "losing" side were marched up into the courtyard and executed by firing squad.  I hope you're not sitting** where that occured!

* No idea which bunch it was...

** As you enter the courtyard it was the wall of the house on the right.

Edited by Hroth
Location, location, location...
  • Like 9

1 hour ago, Tony_S said:

Visit English Heritage sites. I've found that they have less in the way of written material than the National Trust!

• Like 7
  • Agree 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• RMweb Gold
15 minutes ago, Hroth said:

Visit English Heritage sites. I've found that they have less in the way of written material than the National Trust!

Well quite a lot of the EH sites are ruins but there was plenty to study at Audley End. We took Aditi’s uncle who lives in California to,Audley End. He loved it.

• Like 9

I've been doing the same as HH at Ludlow Castle

This was followed by a brisk walk up Clee Hill and dinner in Bewdley.

Wine and cake are on the agenda this evening. 

Andy

• Like 11