Cobalt IPs using the Right hand adaptor kit

Johnfromoz

Carrying over from the Traintronics thread, I have today finally got two cobalts prepared for horizontal use and they are up and running on the layout BUT I flag something here for the sake of other newbies if fitting these units.  

Going to the DCC concepts web site for a photo of how the adaptation should look, I observed their assembled unit with no fulcrum, using only the metal fork of the adaptor kit for leverage (or so it seems) . This lead me to waste two hours of my life trying unsuccessfully to get the unit to change points on the track above.

Only on re-checking the instruction card is their brief mention of the fulcrum. A lesson for me in not reading instructions true, but I certainly found the official photo misleading. For information of others thinking of using this kit. 

• Informative/Useful 3

• 2 months later...
  • RMweb Gold

An alternative to the side mount kit is this,

I made a test rig to see how the cobalts managed in my space of 105mm wide by 44mm high on their side. (The brass wire is just for the test as it’s easier to form)
The flag was to measure the rise of the bar 

8B40D766-9BA6-4E57-9799-13CCB4AD5A22.jpeg.a963716ad4b6db1f55f4f7b9775998dc.jpeg

3mm rise

72CB6A3D-6ABB-4482-A750-9D33B30B7887.jpeg.ecfc0d82d19ee68980c4cf277961770b.jpeg

• RMweb Gold

I should add my experiences of the adaptor - so far so good with 2 Peco points on a shallow board. I confess I was doubtful but they have worked well for me.

As space was tight I was careful to plan locations.

49912600792_f3d38e24c8_z.jpg

and as I was using SMS boards I added small wood panels to give the mounting screws something to bite into without breaki/ng through.

49911786258_139022b6f6_z.jpg

which also shows that despite all the "planning" I still managed to get a track feed or two under the PM. A small channel was carved into the block before gluing down.....

On 18/07/2020 at 11:43, Johnfromoz said:

Carrying over from the Traintronics thread, I have today finally got two cobalts prepared for horizontal use and they are up and running on the layout BUT I flag something here for the sake of other newbies if fitting these units.  

Going to the DCC concepts web site for a photo of how the adaptation should look, I observed their assembled unit with no fulcrum, using only the metal fork of the adaptor kit for leverage (or so it seems) . This lead me to waste two hours of my life trying unsuccessfully to get the unit to change points on the track above.

Only on re-checking the instruction card is their brief mention of the fulcrum. A lesson for me in not reading instructions true, but I certainly found the official photo misleading. For information of others thinking of using this kit. 

Hi John,

As per the Traintronics thread that you have referenced - there was a picture of the right-angled adapter with the Cobalt motor.

This is the link to the picture in that thread.

The website photo will be updated ASAP.

Best Regards,

The DCCconcepts team

• Like 1

Interesting approaches.

Looking at the brass wire version, it might also work with something similar to the red wire here.  Clearly a bit of experiment would be needed to get the right pressure between the wire and the underside of the board.

28462617_CobaltSideMount.jpg.cb7393d98f8663e56ec49b570454e323.jpg

Julian

• RMweb Gold

This is my final wire shape, as you can see I can’t use the end adaptor without an extra slide bar as the space when the legs are folded into the board is too narrow to offset the motor. 

77266DE4-DB98-4CC7-A382-1F3FC0C08E3D.jpeg.7900922025040cddf94aef646acba0c9.jpeg

or if you need a softer spring

BBE49B86-CBDE-4D6C-8889-0972ACF4004E.jpeg.c0c83cc3ab1955f78ea63b8d3091f6a0.jpeg

Edited by PaulRhB
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

59 minutes ago, PaulRhB said:

This is my final wire shape, as you can see I can’t use the end adaptor without an extra slide bar as the space when the legs are folded into the board is too narrow to offset the motor. 

That should add some good spring pressure to he points ends, when set, too.

Julian

• 4 weeks later...