Down to Penzance

I was talking to a fellow enthusiast today about the lack of great western steam heading down to Penzance. There seems to be a suspicion that some re-doubling work further up the line has resulted in gauging challenges that mean western steam is not an option at the moment. Or could it simply be that only southern or standard steam has been available? As an eastern fan this is not something I know a lot about, so any information would be useful.

Ivan

• RMweb Gold

I think the problem is simply one of logistics and lack of facilities for steam. Penzance is a long way and the nearest turntable is St Blazey.

Nunney Castle and King Edward I are double heading to Penzance next month.

Cheers

David

I do hope 'something' has been done to that nice big bridge Mr Brunel built at Saltash - that sort of pairing (especially with one of those sorts of loco) is going way beyond what was allowed across it not very many years back. Incidentally 'not very many years back' means 1985 and not the time of the steam railway.

The last year has seen Castle+7P and 5MT+7P double head over Saltash. 7P+A4 was planned but cancelled when the locos were unavailable. Castle+8P was to have run to Penzance in 2008 but the Castle was unavailable and the Duke failed at Newton Abbot anyway. Earl Bathurst and King Edward I double headed from Bristol to Penzance in 2007.

Cheers

David

I do hope 'something' has been done to that nice big bridge Mr Brunel built at Saltash - that sort of pairing (especially with one of those sorts of loco) is going way beyond what was allowed across it not very many years back. Incidentally 'not very many years back' means 1985 and not the time of the steam railway.

It was cleared for 102t bogie wagons (prompting some nice shiny new china clay wagons) a few years back, so I suspect a subtle upgrade has occurred.

• RMweb Premium

It was cleared for 102t bogie wagons (prompting some nice shiny new china clay wagons) a few years back, so I suspect a subtle upgrade has occurred.

I have vague memories that a subtle upgrade was done. I think that a proper stress analysis was done before the Silver bullets were built and all it needed was some faily short straps somewhere in the structure to make it fit for the higher tonnages. A real ribute to Mr Brunel's original design.

Jamie

The big bridge was strengthened many years ago by the addition of diagonal bracing to allow 25 ton axle loads on the clay trains, prompting the comment by one B R official that this was the total weight of each coach it was designed to carry originally!

The authorities announced a few weeks ago that the next rebuild, scheduled to start soon, will include the removal of the "unsightly" previous mods as they have proved to be unneccesary due to other works which have been carried out on the structure.

Steam does travel into Cornwall quite regularly, indeed only a few Saturdays ago we heard the King passing into Devonport Tunnel whilst we were working on the Plymouth M R C club building.

Wally

• RMweb Premium

Penzance has indeed seen its share of steam in recent years. I for one have good memories of "70019" steaming out across Hayle viaduct and seen from North Quay before chasing to the terminus where it was almost impossible to get into the station for people. Double-headers have come down as well.

Kings were always said to be too heavy for the bridge account their double-red route restriction. Even that restriction has been lifted now. It is not so much the number of locos (within reason!) on the front as the axle loading on each one which places stress upon the structure.

It is a fair distance from Penzance back to St. Blazey to turn but not all trips have steam both ways. There have been operations where two charters have been scheduled with the loco(s) turned and serviced over the weekend. Until the Probus - Burngullow redoubling there were significant pathing difficulties west of St. Austell. That will have impacted on the ability to operate any extras including steam. And again the restriction has been removed as there is no longer a lengthy bottleneck in the middle of Cornwall. The only single track now is over Largin and St. Pinnock viaducts, from Long Rock to Penzance, and the bridge into England. All of those are relatively short stretches.

• RMweb Gold

Until the Probus - Burngullow redoubling there were significant pathing difficulties west of St. Austell. That will have impacted on the ability to operate any extras including steam. And again the restriction has been removed as there is no longer a lengthy bottleneck in the middle of Cornwall. The only single track now is over Largin and St. Pinnock viaducts, from Long Rock to Penzance, and the bridge into England. All of those are relatively short stretches.

Strange how it all goes round in circles - 26 years ago I was conjuring up and validating Stages 2 & 3 of the Cornish mainline singling programme as a potential alternative for some of the resignalling scheme (which didn't happen either - apart from the building at Par).

• RMweb Premium

Just as a matter of interest there is an article in the new Modern Railways, which arrived today, about the Royal Albert Bridge which gives chapter and verse about the diagonal struts that are now being removed. It's part of a special feature on the curent GW area.

Jamie

Does anyone have any arrival times at Redruth or Penzance for the Steam dreams Cornish Riviera Down run on Sat 26th,would like to see it but am working that day,line is about 500yds from where i work (in a cutting) and may be able to sneak out for a peek ;)

Have checked

http://www.uksteam.info/tours/trs10.htm#jun

but nothing yet

Departure time on monday? could be useful too.

Archived