The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Any ideas what this is, please?

EddieB

Digging up a shallow concrete path in the back garden, I came across this object just below the thin concrete layer.

It's an iron ball, four inches in diameter.  Appears to be solid, as it's quite heavy.  It's not clear whether a protrusion at the "top" is part of it, or just some concrete remaining attached.

What can it be?  One suggestion is a cannon ball - but how would one end up being used as hardcore in a suburban garden (London/Essex)?  My first thought was an UXB, but would that match the size and composition?

_IMG_7322.JPG.e9855d37ea25d1f7417c016fc2cc86c8.JPG

• RMweb Premium

If it was hollow, I'd say it's an old type fishing net float, Still might be if it's leaked and filled up with water..

Old ones were metal, Modern ones are made of plastic..

Edited by TheQ

• RMweb Gold

If the protrusion at the top is partly broken away it could be the sliding weight from a Steelyard which was, maybe still is, a steel bar which was pivoted at an unequal length. An item to be weighed was attached to the shorter end and a weight slid along the bar, which was marked with weigh values, until balance was obtained. This then provided the weight of the item.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
On 29/07/2020 at 13:39, EddieB said:

Digging up a shallow concrete path in the back garden, I came across this object just below the thin concrete layer.

It's an iron ball, four inches in diameter.  Appears to be solid, as it's quite heavy.  It's not clear whether a protrusion at the "top" is part of it, or just some concrete remaining attached.

What can it be?  One suggestion is a cannon ball - but how would one end up being used as hardcore in a suburban garden (London/Essex)?  My first thought was an UXB, but would that match the size and composition?

_IMG_7322.JPG.e9855d37ea25d1f7417c016fc2cc86c8.JPG

It’s one of those. 

My vote is for fishing net float, with cast protrusion to hold the net.