RMweb

On Cats

didcot

3 hours ago, Michael Hodgson said:

image.png.a6daf0e8d86a88b43589e4a2035d09f2.png

Since medieavl times black cats have been associated with evil and witchcraft, hence products like this ...

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Nemesis-Now-Snapcat-Ornament-Figurine/dp/B07HVX73BF/ref=asc_df_B07HVX73BF/?tag=googshopuk-21&linkCode=df0&hvadid=327211825875&hvpos=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=10198429894560439206&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9045093&hvtargid=pla-612772710142&psc=1

However the ancient Romans & Egyptians worshipped them. 

And in this country it's supposed to bring good luck if one crosses your path, although it is inauspicious if you're a Hindu.

Pooh isn't meant to be a black cat - as a kitten he was an extremely dark brown, although now you'd be pushed to see much brown in his coat.

image.png

Yuh, umm...comes from a time when women that veered from societal conformity weren't treated with much respect either!

C6T.

• Agree 2

• RMweb Premium
17 minutes ago, didcot said:

20221212_220937.jpg.1097dea0f3245ef5e84480feeb81f365.jpg

Pepper, Winter and Cookie repurposing the dogs blanket in front of the fire.

I almost feel sorry for the dog but the dog is probably asleep on the cat blanket so not a problem.

• Funny 8

16 hours ago, Butler Henderson said:

Best leave Hornby then to the one that tries to copy what the other cats do and fails miserably.

Currently more likely to try something new that no other cats have done before, whether it will succeed or not is another matter! Can see Hornby the cat eying up the "big leap"!! ;)

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

A question for the forum's catterati...

The insurance renewal for our Bonnie (age 13, but no pre-existing conditions) is rather expensive (£460!), so we're looking to shop around - the comparison sites suggest alternatives that are half the price for similar levels of cover. 

Anyone got any particularly good (or bad) experiences of particular companies? The one that's showing cheapest has about the same overall score on TrustPilot as the one we're with now.

@Nick C we used to have Pet Plan with the cats that came from the Blue Cross, but got silly cost wise. We just put an amount away each month now just in case. 

Sainsburys was very competitive for dog insurance and gets good reviews. We haven't had to claim thankfully. 

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
15 minutes ago, Dagworth said:

Not enough naughty torties on this thread, here’s my Pandora who knows she isn’t allowed on the layout 

59F26A7F-10A8-4D7F-A3FD-8E30DA7CFD63.jpeg.a29d7ace67cf76e0ddbc40a397f21b1f.jpeg

Andi

You may think Pandora is not allowed on the layout but you lost the vote 2 - 1 as Pandora being a cat has two votes and you as a mere human only have one vote!

• Like 3
  • Agree 2
  • Funny 5

4 minutes ago, Chris116 said:

You may think Pandora is not allowed on the layout but you lost the vote 2 - 1 as Pandora being a cat has two votes and you as a mere human only have one vote!

That depends what voltage you use to wire your track !

Have you tried one of those high frequency rail cleaners that have gone out of fashion because of DCC?

Miaouuuw!!!!

• Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, didcot said:

@Nick C we used to have Pet Plan with the cats that came from the Blue Cross, but got silly cost wise. We just put an amount away each month now just in case. 

Sainsburys was very competitive for dog insurance and gets good reviews. We haven't had to claim thankfully. 

We had a brother & sister pair; one cost an enormous amount in vets bills, the other almost nothing.

My feeling was that the cost of insuring both would have equalled or exceeded the actual total expenditure - but of course there are peaks & troughs.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, franciswilliamwebb said:

Kato the cat on my our his layout back in 2020.  Build progress means he can't stand in the same place these days, but he tries.  Oh yes, he tries!

Kato20200513.jpg

Wow, that must be one enormous cat; just look at the O scale dmu (emu?) behind it!

• Like 1
  • Funny 5

• RMweb Premium
3 minutes ago, Dagworth said:

Yes, one of a pair of 1200s that I own from my old DJ days

Andi

Mine (now black) is an SL-1600MK2:

100_9121.JPG.f0dd5a3cc8ea2b2e7f017b2041819ee0.JPG

I wish that I could use this slipmat on it but I would lose some of the auto features:

98708553_TeacmatonSP-25.jpg.6d404a6e5df43a20cd6b7a6720d5d3b1.jpg

Note that the 1600 is basically a fully auto version of the 1200. Funny, the 1200s were/are great tables but never fully appreciated by audiophools.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

audiophool

/ˈpɪlək/

noun

INFORMAL•BRITISH

Definition - Someone who thinks that the "law of diminishing returns" does not apply to him.

Kev.

• Agree 1
  • Funny 2

4 hours ago, Dagworth said:

Yes, one of a pair of 1200s that I own from my old DJ days

Andi

You dark horse Andi, I never knew you DJ'd!

I bought my pair of 1210s when I was 17. Mixers have gone from 30 quid Tandy jobs thru mid-range Gemini and Numark to the all the bells and whistles Behringer 5 channel job I've got now.

DSC_0088_3.JPG.c5fd1cb17ff1c864ce8a057f3dae9aee.JPG

C6T.

• Like 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

4 hours ago, J. S. Bach said:

Mine (now black) is an SL-1600MK2:

100_9121.JPG.f0dd5a3cc8ea2b2e7f017b2041819ee0.JPG

I wish that I could use this slipmat on it but I would lose some of the auto features:

98708553_TeacmatonSP-25.jpg.6d404a6e5df43a20cd6b7a6720d5d3b1.jpg

Note that the 1600 is basically a fully auto version of the 1200. Funny, the 1200s were/are great tables but never fully appreciated by audiophools.

Set up properly I don't doubt it, mine however were configured for scratch mixing with the inherent ludicrous stylus pressure, though not as extreme as some I've seen (arm counter balance on back to front to shift even more weight forward).

The rumble on decks so treated is noticeable, but I absolutely get that's on the user not a failure of the equipment.

C6T.

• Agree 1