Target weight for a cameo layout?

• RMweb Premium

I am building my first layout to have integrated backscenes, theatrical-style wings and built-in lighting (aka "cameo layout"), and it is turning out rather heavier than I expected. Dimensions are 1.60 m long x 0.71 m deep (and 0.44 m high), and my basic structure is already up to 9.5 kg with some internal corner blocks, the curving inner backscene and the lighting rig still to go on.

I expect I was in a bit a dream when I planned this out but I was imagining I was building something I could pick up and stand on end as needed get it out of the way. This is going to be a two-man lift for all but quite minor manoeuvres.

1589758287_P1020327-Copy.JPG.c0eee781baacf40e46e5d27261d40ed6.JPG

So - at the moment I have 1.14 square metres of baseboard, weighing in at about 8.4 kg / m2.

Or, 12.3 square feet weighing 20.9 lb, so 1.7 lb / sq ft.

I wonder, has anyone reading this built a cameo and worked out the weight per unit area? It would be good to know whether I am in the right ball park. In the photo, all the models are resting to show how it will look. They are on top of the 9.5 kg.

- Richard.

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, Gordon A said:

I would recommend that you could lift the board with one hand.

Mine is 4ft x 15" x 12" high for a 4mm layout, excluding fiddle yard.

Yes. Thinking this through, one reason my layout is so unwieldy is, it is too broad to go through a standard doorway. If I turn it on end and carry it through a doorway, there is barely a foot for me to go through with the layout.

Whereas, if two people carry the layout turned on its long side, they go through the doorway before the layout and after the layout and everything is a lot more comfortable.

I suppose, I am looking forward to an all-up weight of c.16 kg for the completed layout, and 8 kg per person is an easy lift. The typical weight per unit area is a bit academic but I expect it will turn up somewhere.

- Richard.