The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Lost book or when to activate Visa.

brianusa

In early June I preordered a book for July publishing date.  Recently I called the Publishers in the UK  inquiring its whereabouts as its still not arrived and was told it was mailed on July 12th, well over a month ago.  Obviously the covid and the state of the USPS or RM could have something to do with it, but I am still without the book.  :(

So how long should it be before I notify Visa of this situation to cancel?  I would like the book but its already been charged to my A/C and still no satisfaction.  Can't really blame the publisher but I would like to know what to do under the circumstances and then try to get it from another source:unsure:

Brian.

• RMweb Premium

Hard to know what to do.

The postal (or equivalent) service is in a bit of a turmoil at present, around the world.

I'm in Victoria, Australia and the post is quite spasmodic due to lock downs. I had an Express Post package take 11 days to get from 1 side of Melbourne to the other - about 60km. I could have walked there and back faster - not that I'm going to!

My wife has also been waiting 10 days for a small parcel. Due to social distancing requirements at Australia Post in Vic, some post is getting sent to Sydney for sorting, then coming back. A round trip of 1500 km!

I suspect, that if you go down the path of getting a refund/replacement sent, no sooner you do, the original will turn up.

Perhaps give it until the end of the month, then decide?

• Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

As Kevin says, postal systems are disrupted all over the World.  Current experience shows that deliveries from Europe to UK are fairly normal (or at least from Germany), but transcontinental shipments are highly variable - I’m getting concerned over a couple of consignments from South Africa.

Do you know whether the book was sent by air or surface?  Was there any tracking or insurance included?  Air should have arrived, but there does seem to be contention for space on flights.  Surface, even in the best of times, means a long wait.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium

Royal Mail seems to be working quite well but from what I read USPS isn't.  Two three months ago I sent a package to Canada (I know, it's not the US but I understand its postal service is in a similar state) and it took five weeks.  If you want the book, give it a bit longer.

DT

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

Hope not, but we're not citizens anyway.  Right now, rather have the book and usually books from the UK arrive within a fortnight at the most!  If I find out this is Trumps fault...............................!:ireful::angry:

Brian.:(

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
12 hours ago, brianusa said:

Hope not, but we're not citizens anyway.  Right now, rather have the book and usually books from the UK arrive within a fortnight at the most!  If I find out this is Trumps fault...............................!:ireful::angry:

Brian.:(

It is drumpfs fault.