Can electrofrog points be installed on a reversing circuit ?

brian777999

I am building my first layout using DC. There is one complete oval of track which joins to a long straight section running behind it. I was intending to install an automatic reversing module for this long straight so a shunter would move slowly from one end to the other, stopping about 30 seconds at each end. There are two electrofrog points installed on this section with the required insulated joiners. Would that stop the reversing circuit from working ?

Usually we call such a circuit a shuttle circuit rather than reversing section. And no the points won't affect it if they are properly wired. If you can run the train back and forth with your controller then it will equally work with the shuttle circuit.

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

Yes, it all works well back and forwards now. I was surprised how easy it was to wire the electrofrog points. I was a bit doubtful when I bought them but now I would never use anything else. I will try wiring up the shuttle circuit

later.

• Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, brian777999 said:

Yes, it all works well back and forwards now. I was surprised how easy it was to wire the electrofrog points. I was a bit doubtful when I bought them but now I would never use anything else. I will try wiring up the shuttle circuit

later.

Yes, many are scared off by the concept of Electrofrogs.

2 hours ago, brian777999 said:

They are so easy to wire in DC but I cannot comment on DCC.

There is no difference at all.

"Wiring for DCC" is a nasty misnomer. DCC simply reacts differently to a short circuit, but you should be trying to avoid these anyway.

The difference can be that some like to power sidings from the points to reduce wiring, but this has disadvantages:

1. You rely on rail joiners to carry current. Rail joiners. Rail joiners can be a weakness in this regard.

2. This makes larger electrical sections. Once you start getting sections fed from different places, this can cause issues which are often difficult to find. Smaller sections are much easier to troubleshoot. It is easy to fit another dropper after the track is laid, but more difficult to split a section into 2.

I'm glad you found the point easy to modify. The little bit of extra wiring makes them not RTR when used like this, which is why they are sold as they are.

• Agree 4

2 hours ago, Pete the Elaner said:

I'm glad you found the point easy to modify. The little bit of extra wiring makes them not RTR when used like this, which is why they are sold as they are.

I am a bit puzzled by that : I did not modify them at all. I did cut off the long thin wire underneath the sleepers because I was told that was only used if point motors are to be fitted. Other than that, all I did was fit IRJ's to the V section. They were pretty much used straight out of the box. 

I got the impression you snipped off the 2 small link wires & powered the from from a switch?

Peco say this is "for DCC" but it is nothing of the sort; it is for reliability. It is to keep the polarities further apart (reducing the risk of a short circuit) & allow you to bond the switch rails to stock rails, which removes the reliance on point blades to conduct electricity. These can get dirty over time, especially if the track has been weathered & ballasted.

No, I did not snip off those small link wires. I did not see the need as they all work just fine the way they are. If I encounter problems in the future then I might have to look at that again.

If it ain't broke...

Edited by brian777999
  • Like 1