The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

New Mobile Phone

Tony_S

• RMweb Gold

My wife asked me to choose a new mobile phone for her (too busy to shop for it herself!) but I'm not sure she would want this one.

Mobile Phone

Tony

(When I tried to use the embed code supplied on the British Pathe webpage with the Insert Media button on RMweb I got a message about Iframes not being supported on my browser. )

• RMweb Gold

My wife asked me to choose a new mobile phone for her (too busy to shop for it herself!) but I'm not sure she would want this one.

Mobile Phone

Tony

Winding the antenna round the fire hydrant in a storm does make the kit look a little less friendly than some! Wot a corker!

That actually looks smaller than my first company mobile phone. It was about the size of a briefcase and took up the front passenger seat of my car. At least I didn't have to wind the ariel around anything!

• RMweb Gold

I suspect the umbrella is the aerial and the fire hydrant is for earth. I remember that my wife's first mobile had a standby time of 8 hours and sometimes required considerable agility to make a connection. Once she rang from rural Essex and the (analogue) signal was poor, so I asked where she was and apparently she was up a hill standing on the roof of a minibus.

This year we were in on holiday in Vermont and you could tell where there was a signal in the hotel grounds as that was where everyone seemed to phone from. It never occurred to me before going to the US that mobile coverage wasn't quite as comprehensive as in SE England.

Archived