Fishtail Platform?

20 hours ago, Nearholmer said:

All sorts of arrangements existed and indeed still do, but the simplest way to solve your problem, and still conform to easily-acceptable real practice would be to stick a fence along the back of Platform 1, up to the point where the track at Platform 2 is straight.

Second easiest, and the one I would go for because it looks more plausible, would be this, probably, but not necessarily, with a fence along the relevant part:

E9760B0C-8E3B-4E87-B6A8-334CCB07E6E8.jpeg.c1f2696d52e276c6b41d2e45918e1221.jpeg

Clearly, that would leave Platform 2 short, but 'hey ho', restrict it to short trains, probably vans, especially since any moves in and out of it are likely to be foul of  a  full-length train at Platform 3 anyway, so if it is used a lot it will cause knock-on restrictions to the length of trains that can sit in Platform 3.

Your signal positions need to take account of all this - is the started for Platform 3 Going to be clear of the slip for instance, and is there an imaginary track-circuit that locks things up when a full length train is at Platform 3.

I'm imagining Platform 2 to be blasted nuisance operationally, and used by as few moves as possible!

I think this solution is worth pursuing.  It might be possible to justify the arrangement by the suggestion that there was a short siding or platform, perhaps an engine lay-over siding, or a bay to serve a branchline service. A good example of the latter was West Croydon as per this photo, courtesy of commons.wikipedia You could either leave some ballast and a few old sleepers to suggest its former use, or actually add a point and siding off the outside platform road, and you might be able to extend that to take longer trains (Brighton Belle?) and leave a two coach bay for a branch shuttle.

West_Croydon_station_(1960s).jpg

• Like 2

On 08/09/2020 at 19:53, Ray Von said:

Having built a shelf layout in a restricted space I was very much aware that one track was going to be just to short to accommodate a four carriage EMU.

I'm pretty pleased with the layout, but I just wanted other people's take on the way it looks, is that gap too unrealistic? 

The way I see it I have three options:

1) I could leave it as is, and the passengers would have to "alight only from the first three coaches."

- I like this idea but I'm not sure if it's believable.

2) I could model a curve to the whole platform and alter the course of the uppermost line to follow this curve.

- a lot of remodeling...

3) This is the weird one - I could leave the platform straight on the one side, widen the ramp and sculpt a curve into the other... 

- has anybody seen this done or any real world examples like it?  

I'm at a crossroads in the build and could use some advice!

Many thanks.

IMG_20200908_185723529.jpg

IMG_20200908_185951756.jpg

Now the whole picture has emerged on your later post why not change the point leading to the double slip from right hand to left hand, remove the reverse curve and move the double slip about 8" away from the platforms, that would let the  4 coach DMU / EMU to sit nicely in the platform.

Screenshot (459).png

Edited by DavidCBroad
  • Like 1

Cheers David, a couple of people have suggested the same solution, and it would work if it weren't for (excuse me cutting and pasting) -

"I'm afraid that there is an issue re: the sidings.

The section of track where you suggest relocating the double slip is in fact an isolated section (I'm using DC) - this is to enable EMU or diesel led locos to back into this siding and come to a stop while the rest of the layout is in use.

Essentially, the layout is just big enough to accommodate a four carriage EMU on either side of the double slip, so it's pretty much fixed where it is."

As you can see, moving the double slip would indeed solve the problem at the station end, but it would only cause the same issue at the siding end!  

Edited by Ray Von