Cranked Horizontal Whistle on Stanier Duchess R3819 lost

robmcg

The cranked horizontal whistle on my much-loved Stanier Duchess R3819 die-cast model has gone missing, probably due to my hand brushing it when turning it around for photos.

Is the Comet LS67 Stanier LMS Horizontal whistle the only alternative?    2-piece, but doesn't look to have a cranked pipe like the lost plastic version.

Any advice welcomed.

Cheers

Pic shows the part which went missing.

IMG_5180abcd_r964ab.jpg.2c3fa1c8711aa460cdc6965d8c4ecb70.jpg

This shows the Comet two-part whistle from Wizard...

presumably the plain piece goes down into a drilled hole and the whistle is inserted through at right angles?

whistle_Image1_r608.jpg.fa5827794834c97270b6d269bd40322e.jpg

Edited by robmcg
add pictures

4 hours ago, Steamport Southport said:

Thanks for both those replies, Steamport Southport,  I find it curious that a tiny piece of cranked fuse wire (or other type wire) would be necessary to fit between the brass whistle and the cab, I wonder if there are suitable direct replacement plastic mouldings such as the original Hornby one?

This is all at a level beyond my skills, being of the order of soldering handrails on carriages!  I might just glue a small plug under a horizontal whistle, a scale cranked pipe section to the cab front would be tiny indeed. 

The Brassmasters and Markits versions look good to me, and the Comet/Wizard Models one I have ordered may be fine, but they all look smaller than the plastic Hornby original.

That said, prototype photos show the whistle somewhat smaller than the Hornby version?

Thanks again.   A good forum this! 

Cheers 

• Like 1

Lamenting my ham-fisted foolish loss of the whistle on the lovely R3819 Atholl die-cast model, I have come up against a bit of a problem; the whistle type isn't really quite the same as pre-2017 models or many LMS models, and indeed is not quite the same as the brass LMS Stanier versions available from Comet, Markits and Brassmasters, so I am faced with this dilemma....  the version on the new models is nice but to my eye fractionally larger and higher than the prototype.  The brass replacement would be nearer scale but lack the fancy pipework behind the whistle body.

Do I go for an authentic Hornby model replacement, or a rather different replacement brass one not like the genuine model?

I am tempted to just glue on a generic horizontal whistle body on  a small plug to give the correct height, but this will look a wee bit bodged.

There are no cheap sources for a new whistle of the type made for Duchesses after c2017 so far as I can tell.

Ideas anyone?

18 hours ago, amwells said:

Drop Hornby an email to see if they can supply a spare?

I hugely doubt they would sell such pieces, might try as a last resort.

In the meantime I removed the identical whistle from my recent-model Duchess of Montrose, it came out easily twixt thumb and forefinger, and I thought it would be relatively easy to fit to the much more valuable (to me) die-cast Atholl, with the idea of fitting an aftermarket brass version to Montrose in the future.

I would like to keep Atholl exactly as new, as it came out of its packaging.

So I have taken photos of the loose factory whistle and the position required on Atholl, but I simply cannot hold the whistle with sufficient accuracy to enter the hole in the cab-front, with the idea of a tiny dab of epoxy glue under the whistle support, in the recess in the die-ast boiler top.

So I have had to give up and ask for help from someone with more 'feel', eyesight, and dexterity, which really hurts because when I was younger I had all three things in spades.

Img_5234a_r1800.jpg.74259bd0373fcc14f3a59678393abb33.jpg

Img_5238ab_r1800.jpg.0674ed760891f75db4a40d88d2394555.jpg

Img_5237ab_r1800.jpg.acafda6bb912f848ad34d20fad78ce38.jpg

Img_5240ab_r1800.jpg.848e31044f5cc5ae4c1be5b79a339d9d.jpg

I am also curious as to how on earth does one thread the two-piece brass BR whistle together at right angles as designed?   Surely impossible with bare fingers, do people use mini-vices, grips of some sort, and jeweller's eye-glasses? The plastic Hornby whistle illustrated (rom Montrose) is sellotaped to a Comet BR brass 2-piece whistle packet,  I  would never dare leave such a part loose anywhere!

It's beyond my skill to even safely pick up these parts, they are so small and light they can stick to your fingers with surface tension alone, with dire consequences if you don't watch every movement of your hand....  but the camera makes the inserting of the factory plastic part into the cab front look like a doddle.  It isn't.

Seriously I know proper modellers on occasion berate 'box openers'  but I'm afraid that's what I am! At age 10 to about 50 I could have done this positioning and gluing of the small part, maybe...

I can understand why some people never take models out of their boxes.... too much risk of damage, and for what it's worth the R3819 was not the easiest to unbox; tight cardboard illustrated sleeve, very tightly enclosed plastic shroud in its black foam housing, and very tight clear plastic sleeve on the model's shroud, courtesy a rectangular slab of black foam in a recess on the underside of the shroud, rendering it very tight inside the sleeve, all negotiated successfully   . Although entirely my fault that I brushed the original whistle so it came loose and fell off, still no idea where it went.   (sigh)   

It does run perfectly though! 

Edited by robmcg
typos

• 3 weeks later...
On 19/09/2020 at 02:47, robmcg said:

Peters Spares want £30 to post the Markits £2.61 whistle to me in NZ...   this is new, they used to be about £6. 

I see a bodged alternative fix as a more attractive option!   I with I had a spares department!  :) 

Hi there,

As of the 1st September Royal Mail have seriously increased shipping due to the lack of passenger planes in the air. We had already started sending items at a loss but it couldn’t continue so we have updated shipping to reflect their changes. Until COVID-19 stops affecting the world and travel / shipping it won't come down. We can't individually quote postage as we are charged based on an average of all parcels going overseas on each day. Peter

• Friendly/supportive 2