Worsdell forever's Coaches

• RMweb Gold

The underframe parts are now painted and ready to be fitted, I'll wait until I have got the end detail finished as they will no doubt get damaged with handling.

post-7104-127568331421.jpg

The toilet filler pipes are .45mm brass wire with insulation tape to represent the fixings. The jumper cables are .33mm wire and the plug/socket and storing box are microstrip. The toilet filler pipes will be painted before final fixing, they will probably be painted with Humbrol No9 tan. This coach will not have guttering downpipes as it doesn't have end doors. One end will also need a pipe to the emergency brake apparatus, this will be to the left of the corridor connection.

post-7104-127568332734_thumb.jpg

• 7 months later...
  • RMweb Gold

I've not forgotten about the teaks but as usual they got put aside for a while, I will get back to them some time!

In the mean time I started a Comet kit for an LMS D1715 Full Brake, Inspired of course by Coachmanns builds. This is a kit that I bought about 7 or 8 years ago (possibly longer) from the Wakefield show 'Loot Stand' for £16. quite a bargain!

The first 2 pics show the underframe pre-detailing and then complete and painted.

post-7104-0-59755900-1294951337_thumb.jpg

post-7104-0-32504300-1294951341_thumb.jpg

The next one is with the basic body sat on it.

post-7104-0-55835700-1294951344_thumb.jpg

• 8 months later...
  • RMweb Gold

So, 10 months later I've got back to the LMS brake. It's been detailed and painted lake for quite a while and I've recently dragged out a few part built kits to try and reduce the 'backlog'. (see also LNER milk van in my workbench thread)

The ribs on the roof are strips of insulation tape (with a little super glue added for extra strength), rain strips are microstrip.

The lining and lettering is HMRS Pressfix (actually the lining is PC Models).

Just got to do the other side now...

post-7104-0-03733700-1318363785.jpg

• 2 months later...
  • RMweb Gold

A couple of NER clerestory's.

These were acquired a few months ago finished but unpainted. They are a D14 third and D18 brake third. They are painted with 'Vallejo model colour' - Flat Earth which is a good match for Precision 'teak' and a lot better to apply, transfers are HMRS pressfix, the third is yet to receive a number, as I don't have any instructions I need to do a bit of research on this. They will be lightly weathered (roof mainly) before glazing. I have a D5 composite to complete and together with the D77 seen further up this thread will make a nice set of four. Just need something to pull them now...

D18 Brake third.

post-7104-0-96055500-1323727162.jpg

D14 Third.

post-7104-0-83669800-1323727178.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Paul, must say thank you to putting me onto the Vellejo model colour as I am just up to the point of painting my D18 coaches at the moment. (though I forgot to put the queen post truss on one of them...will have to be glued now as the underframe is painted!) A little annomoly that I spoted yesterday while looking at the roof clerestory, the passanger compartment glazing is bigger (ie longer) than in the luggage area you may notice this on your d18 coach. (sorry to point it out). I must admit that the D&S coaches are tricky in that there is only some give away to the handing and no mention in the instructions. I have had a similar problem with the sole bars to the NER horse box which is handed but is extremely difficult to pick BEFORE assembly. I have soldered a tounge of brass to the clerestory end so that it forces into the ends and almost fixes the roof in position. I still not convinced by the bogie bearing ring as I am not sure of the swing iof the bogie. I may look at using a set of spring bogies I have in stock from Masokits.

• RMweb Gold

Thanks for pointing it out Doug, I glanced up at the coach (it's directly above the computer) and thought 'have I got it on the right way, oh' before I saw you were pointing it out. I would probably have noticed as the roof has to come off again to fit glazing, seats and passengers.

Hope to see some pics of yours...

Well Paul at least I told you before it was too late (my usual problem). Yesterday I went looking for the right shade of Vellajo paint locally But the shop assistant (still very very wet behind the ears) had no idea of what the colour was or the comparrison to any one elses range. So I ended up buying Humbrol 110 but I think it will be too light when the equivilent colour is Humbrol No 186 Brown... not sure exactly what colour it really needs to be the computer screens are pretty bad for colour representation.

I will post some photos here soon... otherwise have a look at my Q6 thread on the Scalefour forum... the coaches are the most recent posting.

Well you worried me, Doug as that little subtlety had passed me by and I can't put the clerestory on mine the other way round. Fortunately I seem to have got it on correctly.

If you put a spot of black into Humbrol 186 it goes very close to the Precision Paints teak and is what I used for the D4 horsebox on my WB thread. I haven't tried the Vallejo colours yet but I will give them a go after Paul's recommendation.

• RMweb Gold

Yesterday I went looking for the right shade of Vellajo paint locally But the shop assistant (still very very wet behind the ears) had no idea of what the colour was or the comparrison to any one elses range. So I ended up buying Humbrol 110 but I think it will be too light when the equivilent colour is Humbrol No 186 Brown... not sure exactly what colour it really needs to be the computer screens are pretty bad for colour representation.

Doug, it's Model Color - Panzer Series, Flat Earth, 70983. Your coach looks good, I'll have another better look later.

Jonathan, you've no excuse, the shop's only a 10 min walk from you...

Glad you liked the coaches on the forum. I spent yesterday afternoon mucking around with the air brush which I have had for about 5 to 8 years...UMMM I think I am getting better at this painting lark!

Appologies to Paul above I hadn't got that far with the kit. I have put a photo on the other forum now of what I have been up too! I can't seem to find the upload on here at the moment (Operator problem... not the website!) But I have started a coach thread:- http://www.scalefour.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=24&t=1769

As I stated I think the colour is too bright.... Practise and colour matching which I have always had trouble with. (not being colour trained in any way it is really an experiment more than anything!)

• 1 year later...

I'm slowly building up a collection of Kirk LNER coaches and thought I would share them with you. I don't just build Kirk kits, there will be some D&S and Comet ones as well (sometime).

Although my work may not be up to the standards of some on here (that's you Coach') but I enjoy (mostly) building them. I'm not into buying a kit and then scrapping most of it and spending a fortune on replacement bits, I'll make the best of what I have (after all I'm a tight Yorkshireman!) adding details from plasticard where necessary. The main modification I will do to these kits is to add some MJT truss rods, where they are needed, thanks to Coachmans blog.

First a couple of photos of a pair of D211 composites. The first is in unlined teak (I think my best teak to date) the second is in lined Teak, The lining is a little untidy and would benefit from some tidying up. The third photo is a close up of the first coach.

Comments will, as always, be welcome.

attachicon.gifcoach001.jpg

attachicon.gifcoach002.jpg

attachicon.gifcoach003.jpg

Beautiful work.

D&S are producing a special re-release of their 4mm scale kit of the LNER Dynamometer Car. Specification for the kit will be etched brass with cast whitemetal fittings and will incorporate some interior detail. Now much sought after, this re-release will be available upto the end of July.  The price is £75.00, post free.

To reserve please send your name and address to D&S Models, along with a £10.00 deposit cheque. Balance to be paid on notification of completion of the kit, ready for despatch. This is a limited run, so if you want one of these much sought after kits, get your order in as soon as you can. It will be the last issue of this kit.

Their address is D&S Models, 46 The Street, Wallington, Nr Baldock, Herts. SG7 6SW.

Archived