RMweb

Proceedings of the Castle Aching Parish Council, 1905

5 hours ago, Hroth said:

Years ago, I used to assist with the music in an Early Dance group.  We even appeared at the Chester Music Festival, where our performance was roundly criticised by James Tyler.

I once appeared in an article in our local newspaper for a performance we were going to give, pretending to play a Cornett, though my speciality was recorders and windcap reeds...

Luckily the photo is lost in the mists of time!

Aaaand back to the political crisis.

very impressive.. I’ve donated my rather dodgy sackbutts and Cornett to Auckland Castle near here. Best thing for them, given the noise I made! I’m happier with valveless horn, organ, singing.. 

trying to keep the politics derailed, it’s depressing 

• Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 4

11 hours ago, cornamuse said:

trying to keep the politics derailed, it’s depressing 

Perhaps we could wall them up in a disused tunnel; as happened to Henry on one occasion.

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold
35 minutes ago, drmditch said:

Perhaps we could wall them up in a disused tunnel; as happened to Henry on one occasion.

I expect Meghan would have something to say about that…

• Funny 4

1 hour ago, drmditch said:

Quite correct. According to "The Sad Story of Henry"*, Henry hid in the tunnel because of the rain, so the Fat Director had him bricked up in the tunnel, the tracks to the tunnel lifted and a new tunnel built** to bypass the bricked up one.

They were quick workers on Sodor!

41 minutes ago, Regularity said:

I expect Meghan would have something to say about that…

Perhaps she could join Henry in his tunnel, for security reasons, you understand...

* Which has a nice appended limerick

Once, an engine attached to a train

Was afraid of a few drops of rain

It went into a tunnel,

And squeaked through its funnel

And never came out again.

** Although "Mr Accurate" Dalby never illustrated the New Tunnel. He just portrayed the bricked up bore and the second bore that already existed, in "Edward, Gordon and Henry". They were both single tracked tunnels.

Edited by Hroth
More info...
  • Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

Hope everyone is having a "more reasonable" summer, now the temperatures have settled down.  I'm off on my hols from Friday, and will attempt to have a largely internet-free break until the evening of the 12th!

Have fun!

Edited by Hroth
Spelin, natch!
  • Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 5

I should be on my way to Germany, via Eurostar and a sleeper train from which I should have been able to see the turrets of the Rhine castles silvered by moonlight gliding past in the night.

But to do this I had first to take a train in this inequitable under-funded sh1thole of a country, the ECML down to the Smoke. My European holiday got as far as a field to the north of York, and there, along with any hope of getting to London in time for my connections, it died.

Currently entering Leeds station en route to Manchester Airport. Hopefully today's failure of our railway infrastructure on one of its premier trunk routes is nothing that a lost day of holiday and an unbudgeted extra circa £1K of my money won't cure! Fingers crossed.

Frankly I won't be happy until I get Sausage-Side, if I get Sausage-Side, and I'm on German trains.

Meanwhile, hopefully the ECML will be fixed in time for its train drivers to go on strike. If I do get to Germany, I might just not come back!

Fecking Hell!!!

• Friendly/supportive 15

• RMweb Premium

You have just vilified our great and sauerkraut-free nation and on your return will be subject to re-indoctrination according to the mind of Sunak.  Only then will you realise that on leaving Europe, the wurst is behind you.

• Like 1
  • Funny 5
  • Friendly/supportive 2

12 minutes ago, Compound2632 said:

You have just vilified our great and sauerkraut-free nation and on your return will be subject to re-indoctrination according to the mind of Sunak.  Only then will you realise that on leaving Europe, the wurst is behind you.

I fear the only support I'll receive will be a truss.

In the meantime I plan to add the contents of my Manchester Airport hotel mini-bar to my crippling list of additional expenses.

I loath airline flying, it's the ultimate banal experience.

EDIT: I realise that I am in danger of sounding like GIlbert's praiser of all countries but his own, but, honestly, the UK in many respects is a place for of things that are more expensive yet not as good as they are in Europe. Presently the superiority of public transport in Germany springs to mind!

Mind you, I suspect they'll be more oil in my tank than they'll have gas in the Fatherland, so I'll need to come back before winter. 

Edited by Edwardian
  • Friendly/supportive 9

1 hour ago, Edwardian said:

...... Presently the superiority of public transport in Germany springs to mind!

To experience exceptionally well integrated public transport travel in Austria!  You can buy a ticket to anywhere in Austria off the driver of the Post buses which serve all the little villages and use it on either bus and/or rail.

Jim

• Like 5

• RMweb Premium

Auf Wiedersehen - pet.

Seriously with  the state of the Rhine at the moment you may not have missed that much with midnight Schloss illuminated by the moonlight reflected off a Rhine down to levels below living memory.  Most shipping through the gorge is now banned due to insufficient water levels.  

Still a complete pile of crock for the start of a holiday though.  I hope it improves immeasurably. 

• Informative/Useful 3
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Caley Jim said:

To experience exceptionally well integrated public transport travel in Austria!  You can buy a ticket to anywhere in Austria off the driver of the Post buses which serve all the little villages and use it on either bus and/or rail.

Jim

Including to and from Germany and no passports involved.  Such a straightforward system.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

NSW government went mad around Easter and made all our public transport free for 2 weeks - trains buses and ferries.

You could ride the Sydney ferries all dayfor nothing, like a 12 hour harbour cruise but with out the annoying commentary or complimentary bubbly.

Or do it every day for 2 weeks to have a cheapar5e cruising holiday experience

Edited by monkeysarefun
  • Like 3

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, teaky said:

Including to and from Germany and no passports involved.  Such a straightforward system.

Ah yes. An idea introduced initially (in modern times) in 1938, IIRC….

• Funny 8

1 hour ago, Nearholmer said:

Loads of really old Americans, and guaranteed covid?

Similarly its a rush to ride the  Manly Ferry when an East Coast Low weather systems hits. Like a cheapar5e Disney ride but without the really young Americans.

image.png.c73c511282178fb7505c868495161475.png

• Like 5
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Funny 2