Proceedings of the Castle Aching Parish Council, 1905

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Edwardian said:

Now they've made dystopian fiction a reality, so what the feck do I use now to process what's going on?!? 

27 minutes ago, Edwardian said:

BTW, the government's net migration policy was novelised in 2019

With the disturbing increase of fascism in politics the dystopian fiction I was reading at the end of last century is rapidly coming true.  As for 'The Wall' the chances of a powerful group of rich conservative mad men somewhere in the world causing it to happen are shockingly high.

Due to having narcolepsy I spend a lot of time asleep and dreaming.  I can always tell when I'm dreaming because what happens there is believable and makes sense.  When i wake up it's back with the craziness again.

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 10

• RMweb Premium
9 minutes ago, Edwardian said:

Taking the long view of the international situation, Prof Michael Clarke thinks we're heading into "a new dark age"

It is now I think generally accepted that the "dark age" in Europe in the fifth and sixth centuries was precipitated by climate change, though in that case a cooling of the European climate, along with associated pandemics, with reduced resistance to disease as a consequence of famine.  

• Like 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

1 minute ago, Compound2632 said:

It is now I think generally accepted that the "dark age" in Europe in the fifth and sixth centuries was precipitated by climate change, though in that case a cooling of the European climate, along with associated pandemics, with reduced resistance to disease as a consequence of famine.  

That was certainly a thing from the early-mid C14th

Historians insist we call the Dark Ages the 'Early Mediaeval' period, as if the mediaeval period wasn't long enough already. They bang on endlessly, and have done for over a generation, about how prejudicial a term it is and that just because Rome had failed, it did not mean that we reverted to savagery, what about Lindisfarne, the Vikings were misunderstood and terribly nice once you got to know them, blah, blah, blah.

In Britain, post Rome, the historic record goes dark. We may only view it, as it were, through a glass darkly. That is dark enough for me!

Take it away, boys...

• Like 2
  • Agree 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

22 hours ago, Edwardian said:

just because Rome had failed, it did not mean that we reverted to savagery

Linking to our discussion of model shops in and near Carlisle on the M&CR branchlines thread, there is plenty of evidence that indicates that Romano-Britain continued to function after the Roman withdrawal. In particular, Carlisle [Luguvallium] continued as a centre of trade and political power much longer than other Romano-British cities, probably due to geography. Needless to say, some of us Cumbrians and yes, Kemi Badenoch, we do exist (now there's an example of someone who peaked at being head girl or captain of the school debating society) hold that the Arthurian myths are a distant echo of the survival of civilisation in Carlisle into the very early Dark Ages.

Edited by CKPR
  • Like 5
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Edwardian said:

just because Rome had failed, it did not mean that we reverted to savagery

"Reverted"? You will shortly be receiving a writ for libel from pre-Roman British society. As I'm sure you are fully aware, the attribution of savagery is down to the adverse propaganda of Roman authors anxious to justify their Imperium.  

• Like 3
  • Round of applause 1

20 hours ago, Compound2632 said:

"Reverted"? You will shortly be receiving a writ for libel from pre-Roman British society. As I'm sure you are fully aware, the attribution of savagery is down to the adverse propaganda of Roman authors anxious to justify their Imperium.  

Roads ? Tick. Wheeled transportation ? Tick. Towns ? Tick.Two storey buildings ? Tick. Trade ? Tick. Coinage ? Tick. Leaders accountable to the people ?  Tick. Women as leaders ? Tick. A thriving culture of brewing and communal boozing ? Hic. What we didn't have was a regular army of well-trained  & well-disciplined professional soldiers...

Edited by CKPR
  • Like 8

17 minutes ago, Compound2632 said:

One might see St Augustine as guilty of similar. Nowadays some historians consider he was greatly embarrassed to find a fully functioning Romano-British church that was getting along just fine without him and the Patriarch in Rome.  Considering his career was on the line, he reported accordingly.  

• Like 4
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 3

6 minutes ago, CKPR said:

Roads ? Tick. Wheeled transpirtation ? Tick. Towns ? Tick.Two story buildings ? Tick. Trade ? Tick. Coinage ? Tick. Leaders accountable to the people ? Women as leaders ? Tick. A thriving culture of brewing and communal boozing ? Hic. What we didn't have was a regular army of well-trained  & well-disciplined professional soldiers...

Time for...

• Like 1
  • Round of applause 1
  • Funny 2

12 minutes ago, Compound2632 said:

A choice of word that begs a very large question!

Speaking as a Cumbrian of soi-distant Flemish-Scottish ancestory who identifies with pre-Roman Britain...oh alright, I'll admit it, my parents were from Yorkshire !

• Like 3
  • Friendly/supportive 4

3 hours ago, Edwardian said:

Time for...

I have a talk I have given to several local clubs entitled 'What The Railways Did for Us' outlining how many things which we take for granted in modern society only came about because of the railways.  E.g. GMT being adopted across the country , package tours, national football leagues.

Jim

• Like 9
  • Agree 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 22/12/2023 at 10:58, Compound2632 said:

I was under the impression that the term 'Dark Ages' was a conceit of historians born of the fact that none of them were around to record the period. There were a few monks like Nennius toiling in their scriptoria producing Easter Annals but that was about it.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Very true Jim, and I would add that the railways provided the food of the working poor, fish and chips. The railways got fish from ports to the big industrial centres quickly, they transported the potatoes and the coal to cook them . 

Don't start me on the fact that a fish supper is now 10 quid, 2 quid at least of which goes straight into the duck houses and moat cleaning fund. 

As for the dark ages if the price of energy keeps going up we might be entering a new one. 

Anyway , thats  my last political rant of 2023. Half an hour and I can start the political rants of 2024. 

Happy new year all ... 

• Like 3
  • Friendly/supportive 1

12 hours ago, Dave John said:

Don't start me on the fact that a fish supper is now 10 quid,

.....and the rest?

Plus, it aint a 'supper' in my view.....Not without mushy peas and maybe a cuppa?

Much can be saved by not ordering one's fish n chips in a box, too.....However, i do note that if wrapped in clean whitish paper, how well the chips and batter sticks to the paper? IIRC, more so than when wrapped in the Guardian?

My nearest [rural] chippy is part of the Deep Blue chain....but at least everything is cooked fresh on receipt of the order...nothing left hanging around in the  hot boxes...

• Like 2

I’ve worked out a F&C scam: order an OAP portion. This is about two thirds the size, and half the cost, of a full portion, which I always find way too big anyway. Of course, if you are actually an OAP, this isn’t a scam, and you don’t have to pretend you’re collecting it on behalf of your elderly neighbour/aunt etc.

Edited by Nearholmer
  • Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Round of applause 1
  • Funny 1

4 hours ago, Nearholmer said:

I’ve worked out a F&C scam: order an OAP portion.

Sadly no such option round these parts!

Also, the fish one would get could only be rock salmon!

[They call it hake round these parts.......bloody foul stuff!!]

• RMweb Premium

Fish definitions are always a minefield and not only in English* but my understanding of rock salmon is a member of the small shark family whereas hake is a member of the cod and haddock family.

* have had the same issues in German and French

• Like 1
  • Agree 3
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

5 minutes ago, alastairq said:

Not suggesting there's always something fishy about caledonian politics, are you?  :)

Not at all. On the substantive issue, while I would be very sorry to see Scotland leave the Union and I suspect that would play about as well for Scotland as BREXIT has for the UK, that is very much a matter for the voters of Scotland and not, therefore, a debate for me to enter.

What I have a distaste for are populists, and nationalists are the worst sort of those, and de facto one-party states, neither of which are good for democracy IMHO.

As to the individuals alluded to, we do not know what is behind Sturgeon's fall from power, but we could all see what a thug Salmond is and we should judge a man who, while still engaging in Scottish politics, was happy to be a paid mouth-piece of the Kremlin, so, frankly, f- him. 

Rant for the Day being my, so far, unsuccessful Radio 4 pitch. 

• Like 3
  • Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

18 hours ago, alastairq said:

Also, the fish one would get could only be rock salmon!

[They call it hake round these parts.......bloody foul stuff!!]

Unlikely - hake isn't one of those dubious supermarket renaming attempts but a well established species, so anyone selling as "hake" something that isn't hake is putting themselves at risk of litigation. 'Rock salmon' is one of the names given to huss, though, which sounds similiar enough perhaps.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

2 minutes ago, Edwardian said:

we do not know what is behind Sturgeon's fall from power

Bet your guess would be pretty close though...

3 minutes ago, Edwardian said:

What I have a distaste for are populists, and nationalists are the worst sort of those, and de facto one-party states, neither of which are good for democracy IMHO.

This.

Not least because of this

3 minutes ago, Edwardian said:

happy to be a paid mouth-piece of the Kremlin

...and Beijing, and certain enormously profitable but apparently untaxable concerns, and...

• Like 3

Oh dear.

That thread is full of condolences and good wishes, and quite right too.

However, being an arse, and unable to help those who have today learned that they have lost their jobs, my mind turned pretty immediately to what has happened to one of the longest-lived and largest model railway suppliers in the country, and with a large international following too. How did it happen, and why? Has excellent management kept them going this long? Has sub-optimal management lead to this announcement?

Hattons Originals seemed universally successful, with the Genesis coaches being the most successful new idea in RTR that I can think of, and for good reason. Why cancel batch 3 production, and follow-up generic bogie vehicles?

Really surprised that it's gone to all or nothing for Hatton's, and apparently they can no longer do it all.

I have no useful information to address any of the above, but thought I'd open a conversation on it in a safe place so that it can be discussed without Andy having to get out the banhammer!

Edited by Schooner
  • Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2