Everything has now arrived for me to start on the Drummond class 45 0-6-2 tank.

Hi folks,

Here is the penultimate update,

The story so far:

Removed all the moulded hand rails from round the cab and smoke box door, Plus the smoke box dart.

New wire hand rails all around the engine. Made a valve type smokebox door dart and fitted them all.

Footsteps made and fitted where needed.

Removed the moulded whistle and the safety valves

Made a whistle out of plastic and fitted it.

Replaced the safety valves with GWR style cover.

Lamp irons fitted front and rear.

Break pipes fitted front and rear.

Coupling hooks fitted front and rear.

Sand boxes scratch built and fitted to front of engine

New rear wheel of correct type fitted

Removed the chimney. Fitted new chimney

Removed the back steps as they are way too big for this engine. Put replacement ones of the correct size and shape on(Donated from an old Triang M7).

Scratch built 2 water tank filler caps.

Did all the beading and guttering on the cab roof.

Fitted small plastic fillets into the cab door tops and filed them in to more or less the correct shape

Filed down the lower part of the doors to look more like the Class 45.

Changed the front windows to round porthole type.

Glazed front and rear windows. May have been a mistake doing this as I will have to blank them off while painting.

Added real coal to the new bunkers I made up.

Full repaint in satin acrylic satin black(Never again. This was my second attempt at using acrylic paints. I hated it. So back to enamels for me).

Renumbered to the correct engine transfers.

As I have said this is not an exact model of the Class 45. But more a class 45 ish approximation. There are certain things I find difficult to do Like shape hand rails round smoke box doors. So the engine has kept the original N2 style smokebox door. except for the locking wheel.

It is now just waiting to be sprayed with matt varnish and for the new chassis for it to arrive. Then it is done and on to a new project. Londontram and I have talked about a couple of possibilities such as the X class 0-6-4 tank and a Beyer Garrett using a Kitmaster kit and 2 Triang 3mt chassis. But I also have in mind Turbinia using a Triang Princess chassis. Similar to the one 33c has done. But we shall see.

I would like to thank every one here at RMweb who have given me the confidence to work on these engines over the past few years. So thank you all...... :)

class 45.jpg

DSC_0954.JPG

DSC_0953.JPG

DSC_0952.JPG

DSC_0951.JPG

DSC_0950.JPG

Edited by cypherman
  • Like 3
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

Hi folks,

Here is the final update, The Class 45 is finally finished.

Removed all the moulded hand rails from round the cab and smoke box door, Plus the smoke box dart.

New wire hand rails all around the engine. Made a valve type smokebox door dart and fitted them all.

Footsteps made and fitted where needed.

Removed the moulded whistle and the safety valves

Made a whistle out of plastic and fitted it.

Replaced the safety valves with GWR style cover.

Lamp irons fitted front and rear.

Break pipes fitted front and rear.

Coupling hooks fitted front and rear.

Sand boxes scratch built and fitted to front of engine

Removed the chimney. Fitted new chimney

Removed the back steps as they are way too big for this engine. Put replacement ones of the correct size and shape on(Donated from an old Triang M7).

Scratch built 2 water tank filler caps.

Did all the beading and guttering on the cab roof.

Fitted small plastic fillets into the cab door tops and filed them in to more or less the correct shape

Filed down the lower part of the doors to look more like the Class 45.

Changed the front windows to round porthole type.

Glazed front and rear windows. May have been a mistake doing this as I will have to blank them off while painting.

Added real coal to the new bunkers I made up.

Full repaint in satin acrylic satin black then sprayed with matt varnish.

Renumbered to the correct engine transfers.

Unfortunately the new rear wheel proved to be just too big and kept catching on the underside of the chassis. So for the moment I have had to go back to the original wheel. I will try and get a slightly smaller correctly numbered spoked wheel as soon as I can.

So yet another project is finished.

As you can see I went on a bit of an N2 buying binge. The LNER one just needed a little bit of a service to get it to run well. The LMS engine is actually a Wrenn version of the N2. It was in a reasonable physical physical state( It was minus it's hand rails, Buffers and couplings). But it ran like a pig. Gave that one a full service and it still ran poorly. Checked the wheels and some how the last owner who ran it had managed to get the quartering out so the wheels were binding. It is all sorted now. The BR N2 is earmarked to become a Drummond X class 0-6-4T. That may be my next project. 

DSC_0955.JPG

DSC_0956.JPG

DSC_0957.JPG

DSC_0958.JPG

DSC_0959.JPG

Edited by cypherman
  • Like 4
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

On 26/10/2020 at 10:24, cypherman said:

Hi Duncan, 

Again thanks for the pictures. Between you and Londontram you have helped me a great deal in this project. Well I have done it again. Why get 1 N2 when 4 will do. I have just picked up another H/D n2 and a very nice Wrenn N2 in almost perfect physical condition. The motor needs a service and it is missing it's buffers, Hand rails and couplings. Everything I have in my spares box. And it was only £21.00. So a bargain. And it is also boxed.

Quote "N2 brute'" unquote Julius C.

• Funny 1