The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Nil points

AMJ

• RMweb Premium

A surprising number of our own acts are incredibly popular in Europe. Some who are unkown here have had Number 1s in Germeny etc. Why not put forward someone like Amy MacDonald? She's very successful in Germany and Belgium, as well as Eastern Europe, writes decent songs (in my view) and isn't too bad to look at.

Because ever since the 1980s, UK record labels regard appearing in Eurovision as a kiss of death to any artists career. Their atitude is that Eurovision has lost all creadability and is not a suitable place for any well known artist to perform (I imagine mainly because the UK allways tends to come bottom) and they will not risk that happerning to the likes of Amy Macdonald however sucessfull she may be in the Europen charts.

Usually SWMBO and I don't watch it, but a few times we have turned it on after the "singing" has finished, just to watch the voting. We couldn't stand to listen to the crap entries.

The last time we did this was a couple of years ago when we came last laugh.gif and the time before that when that Metal Band spoof won it. That one we watched with a crowd of friends (plenty of inka-hol flowing) and there were big cheers every time the Metal lot got top marks from many of the voting countries. What a hoot !

Scrap the awful thing. It should have been done 30 years ago !

Guest Natalie Graham

We should treat this outdated and naff event with the contempt it deserves.

I thought we did, and had been doing so for many years. The only time the UK takes it seriously is when we don't get any votes and don't win it every time and then get annoyed that other countries who do take it seriously win.

• RMweb Premium

Says a lot about the Urovision Song (no) Contest that the most memorable act was a bunch of Irish clog dancers who were just filling in between the singers / wailers / banshees / whiners....

I'm not normally a huge fan of Norton (except in Father Ted, of course...), but I have to disagree. Of course, he's quite different to El Tel, but I thought he had the right attitude the other night, especially after Malta gave their votes. Their spokeswoman was a very large lady wearing a tent-like floaty number. Norton was rather kind, commenting how Malta usually give the UK the odd point. But after they gave us no points he said "OK, well now I'll say it: hideous dress." That was pretty funny at the time...

Ditto the thoughts about Graham. His mocking of the lady with the deep voice was quite funny.

• RMweb Premium

I've had some ideas on how to improve Lena's Urovision clip. Dub a better soundtrack on her video!

One idea: "White Cliffs of Dover" from this clip which does have Spitfire sound tracks on it?

Nah... too naughty...

Another: "Lilli Marlene" ( British version ) British Lilli Marlene Maybe, maybe....

German version? Marlene Dietrich

Any ideas??? :diablo_mini:

.....after Malta gave their votes. Their spokeswoman was a very large lady wearing a tent-like floaty number.....

An outfit favoured by the Icelandic entry. Come to think of it the resemblance to a volcano was quite amusing.

Archived