If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×

Bachmann Coaling Stage 44-048

Hi

I have been given a new Bachmann 44-048 coaling stage and I wondering if anyone knows if its based on any real location? Coaling Stage

If it is or was a real building, how did the coal get up to the loading platform? Has anyone got any pictures of this or a similar stage on the real railway?

I can only guess access to the coal platform for unloading the coal wagons was by some form of ramped access track, but the height inside the building from unloading platform to the top of the door arch isnt very high! So if I'm correct the unloading track would be lower than the platform making the coal wagons door flap at the same height as the platform?

As always, many thanks for anticipated help.

It looks fairly generic, but may be based on an actual prototype. As for getting the coal up there, there would be a ramp and wagons would be shunted up it. There is one still in use GWRS at Didcot although much bigger than the Bachmann one. This one still stand at Cardiff Canton

sdc10081y.jpg

The track on the other side is lower.

The Bachmann 44-048 is an L&NWR standard design coaling stage. There used to be one at Llandovery on the Central Wales Line. Photographs of that show that the track rises above the yard level.

Julian

Archived