Aston On Clun. A forgotten Great Western outpost.

MrWolf

• RMweb Premium

The E1 / J72 has its roots in big brother TW's E / J71 of 1886, whereas the LMS Standard 3F 0-6-0T* has it's origins in the 2441 Class 0-6-0Ts of 1899 - and were originally built to work goods and mineral trains over the severe gradients of the Metropolitan Widened Lines, and also as Lickey bankers. A fairer comparison would be with the 1377 Class, as represented in later Belpaire boiler form by Bachmann's 1F.

*Note the lengths to which I go to avoid the use of the term "jinty"!

The Mainline J72 was the first model engine I had after Triang-Hornby LMS Standard 3F 0-6-0T, 5MT 4-6-0, and B12 4-6-0. It was, I would say, the beginning of a revolution in RTR models - one of the very first where the body was not a single molding and a revelation in detail.

Edited by Compound2632
  • Like 6
  • Informative/Useful 1

The efforts of both Mainline and Airfix although short lived, I would have to say changed the face of railway modelling and paved the way for the kind of detail we have in RTR models today. As someone who was just about ten at the time, seeing a Mainline Pannier alongside the Hornby model of the time was pretty much awe inspiring.

• Like 3
  • Agree 7

• RMweb Premium
10 minutes ago, MrWolf said:

The efforts of both Mainline and Airfix although short lived, I would have to say changed the face of railway modelling and paved the way for the kind of detail we have in RTR models today. As someone who was just about ten at the time, seeing a Mainline Pannier alongside the Hornby model of the time was pretty much awe inspiring.

Absolutely, Rob. I bought an Airfix 14xx in 1978, which set me on the path to finer scale modelling.

I still have some Mainline-bodied panniers and other locos, albeit on newer chassis, and the Mainline Mk1 RB can still hold its own on a layout.

• Like 4

I think that I got my 14XX in 1983, the Pannier came the following year along with a Dean Goods.

It began my obsession with doing everything else as well as I could and certainly affected the type of railway that I'm most interested in.

• Like 7

The transfers have just arrived from Fox, sent first class mail. 

I didn't count up how many transfers were on a sheet, but now I've got them I appear to be able to letter up eight locos in pre 1934 livery and thirty six in shirtbutton livery.

That should take care of everything I have and then some!

Edited by MrWolf
  • Like 9

• RMweb Gold

As I get older, I find myself using old, unfashionable words. I think I'm conducting a rearguard action against the wholesale massacre of correct word usage. 

I'm no poet laureate but some things really annoy me, increasingly so, as the Memsahib points out. 

Right, I'm off to put the wireless on......

Edited by NHY 581
Leftie auto correct.
  • Like 3
  • Agree 1
  • Round of applause 2
  • Funny 2
  • Friendly/supportive 4

• RMweb Gold
20 hours ago, John Besley said:

Is there an easy conversion that can be done to make into a pre grouping engine that got absorbed by the Great Way Round at Grouping?...

I haven't got any dimensions to hand for either but the Barry Railway E Class would probably be much nearer as they were smaller than the A Class.

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

40 minutes ago, NHY 581 said:

As I get older, I find myself using old, unfashionable words. I think I'm conducting a rearguard action against the wholesale massacre of correct word usage. 

I'm no poet laureate but some things really annoy me, increasingly so, as the Memsahib points out. 

Right, I'm off to put the wireless on......

One that annoys me is when people say "axed" instead of "asked". Do you know what "axed" actually means? No? Stand still, I'll show you, try not to throw up though...

The memsahib says that she thought that she was quite left wing in her opinions when she went to university, until she met her ex, I said the Jeremy Corbyn corduroy hat should have been a flag and did he wear it whilst playing golf with his boss and clients? (but he only plays golf for work...) Now she's got older, she finds herself drifting further right. Older! So when she hits thirty in three and a half years, there might be trouble in store...

PS, I was gutted to hear that the new edition of the OED has dropped the word "Aerodrome". That is a word which should paint a whole picture for anyone who has read anything other than Hello! magazine.

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium
14 minutes ago, MrWolf said:

PS, I was gutted to hear that the new edition of the OED has dropped the word "Aerodrome". That is a word which should paint a whole picture for anyone who has read anything other than Hello! magazine.

That won't be the OED, which is a complete description of the English language on historical principles. It is in the 10th edition of the Oxford Advanced Learner's Dictionary (2020), a dictionary designed for advanced learners of English as a foreign or second language, which my wife edited - so we're in the clear.

• Like 6

Heathens.

Aerodrome is excatly the kind of vibe that I'm after with the Restaurant at the end of the Universe.

That said, as a sometime linguist I do fear the dictionaries are going the way of the dodo and I guess I'm as guilty as anyone - I have a small library of them and very rarely open one anymore.

• Friendly/supportive 4

2 hours ago, Graham T said:

I identify as a cunning linguist, and my pet hates include "at pace" (to my mind very, very slow is still a pace), and the BBC calling ships "it".

There, I feel better now 🙂

While I may not always be 'politically correct', let alone 'woke', I do agree with you. Amongst my pet hates are confusion of participles; eg

Forcasted

Impacted

As regards gender attribution to manufactured items, Steam Locomotives have been regarded as female since at least 1830. For reference see Fanny Kemble (a lady well well worth googling) and George Stephenson. They settled this issue between them.

Ships and boats are of course female and always have been female. This is as true for a beautiful wooden sailing dinghy as for a 200,000 ton container ship.

There are many,many issues regarding the treatment of women, in language, attitude, and imagery. I don't regard calling Engines and Ships female as high on the list of priorities.

One has to be careful about the issues upon which expends emotional energy!

Caroline

• Like 7

I've wondered how the French are going to manage if they're expected to go gender neutral.

A table is female even "La table" I don't know how they arrived at it, unless a drunk Frenchman managed to...... Surely not!?

Motorcycles are of course female too. 

The memsahib did ask me why.

They empty your wallet

Sometimes they frustrate you

Sometimes they let you down

Sometimes they break your heart

Sometimes they leave you mangled and bleeding by the roadside.

But when everything's right, you have a strange sense of euphoria that you never want to end. One that artists and poets have consistently failed to capture and we're bereft and miserable when we don't have one.

Despite the fact I can pick her up with one arm, chuck her over my shoulder and run up the street ( yes, really.) She can punch really hard!

Then she said: Tell me the last part again...

• Like 2
  • Funny 1
  • Friendly/supportive 5

Just now, Fishplate said:

My pet hate is the phrase 'gone on a journey'. When analysed it generally means they've stayed in the same place and just had experience(s) . . . .

Whenever someone says to me something along the lines of: "Life is a journey..."

I find myself SO FRUSTRATED that there isn't a speeding car dangerously close to the curb at that moment...

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

5 hours ago, Compound2632 said:

That won't be the OED, which is a complete description of the English language on historical principles. It is in the 10th edition of the Oxford Advanced Learner's Dictionary (2020), a dictionary designed for advanced learners of English as a foreign or second language, which my wife edited - so we're in the clear.

Might have been the concise or some other time that is more useful when a castor falls off the piano.

One of my mother's keepsakes is a dictionary that was presented to her father when he was a boy that doesn't contain the word Aeroplane.

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium
5 hours ago, Gypsy said:

That said, as a sometime linguist I do fear the dictionaries are going the way of the dodo and I guess I'm as guilty as anyone - I have a small library of them and very rarely open one anymore.

18 minutes ago, MrWolf said:

Might have been the concise or some other time that is more useful when a castor falls off the piano.

Physical dictionaries are in decline - anyone who actually needs to use one, uses one online. The challenge (for my wife) is to persuade them that using one with paid access is better than using a free one.

That does leave the problem of how to prop up the piano.

• Friendly/supportive 5

15 minutes ago, Compound2632 said:

Physical dictionaries are in decline - anyone who actually needs to use one, uses one online. The challenge (for my wife) is to persuade them that using one with paid access is better than using a free one.

That would present a challenge. I would never want to be in a place where I couldn't have a book, been there, it sucks. Books are tactile, comfortable even, staring at a screen always feels like work rather than pleasure and learning should be a Lifetime worth of pleasure. Sure I could Google Great Western Railway Whatever, but I end up finding where the image was sourced and buying the book if possible.

15 minutes ago, Compound2632 said:

That does leave the problem of how to prop up the piano.

Fortunately, we don't have a piano, the memsahib is all about woodwinds and my (not particularly good) guitar playing ended when I nearly got my hand blown off.

Which might be a blessing upon the world.

My sister has a piano, a very early Yamaha which is set up for jaaaaazzz baby.

It has a full compliment of wheels, whitewall tyres, continental kit and dual exhaust. Fats Domino would have loved it....

• Like 9