Aston On Clun. A forgotten Great Western outpost.

MrWolf

• RMweb Gold

Those flat drive belts remind me of a holiday job, as a student in 1963, at Youngs brewery in Wandsworth where the powere source was an 1835 steam beam engine. In contrast the floor was pretty spotless ! 

Edited by Limpley Stoker
Corrected date !
  • Like 5

16 minutes ago, Limpley Stoker said:

Those flat drive belts remind me of a holiday job, as a student in 1963, at Youngs brewery in Wandsworth where the powere source was an 1833 steam beam engine. In contrast the floor was pretty spotless ! 

https://commons.m.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Ram_Brewery_beam_engine_-_geograph.org.uk_-_688577.jpg

Apparently those engines have survived.

• Like 5

• RMweb Gold
44 minutes ago, drmditch said:

I didn't know. Shocking!

Youngs Beers are now produced by Marstons at its Eagle brewery in Bedford. At Wandsworth we cleaned out all the copper  pipes and brass unions with Tartaric acid between brews. I wonder what they use these days.

• Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 1

Just now, Stubby47 said:

I thought that was lager...

That's made from chilled horse pee and gives the greatest amount of adhesion to lino floors and night club carpets.

Recently we have voted the carpet at Bolton Stadium as being closest to a 1980s nightclub carpet, with the hospitality suite at Haydock Park racecourse coming in a close second.

• Agree 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

After a disastrous, sticky and strangely semi gloss experiment with 3 parts Railmatch GWR brown to 1 part LNER bauxite the LSWR van almost got tied to a foil helium balloon and floated over an RAF base....

But a coat of Humbrol 160 saved the day and it's indistinguishable from the above mix except that it doesn't look quite as  #£@*.

IMG_20230214_213015.jpg.ef5b4a5afff429082b0db0d38074e3aa.jpg

Now I know that we aren't supposed to model a model, but I saw a picture of Kernow's 7mm version and I think that I will use that as my livery yardstick!

• Like 9

5 hours ago, Graham T said:

One of the main nightclubs in my home town was known by most of us as "Sticky Carpets".

4 hours ago, Rowsley17D said:

In the NE it's the claggy mat.

As I've not seen her for twenty years I can probably share a similarly grim tale about going to see a couple of bands with my then girlfriend. She had discovered the delights of snakebite and black, a concoction that pubs, clubs and the students union have long since refused to sell. 

But this was a typical greaser bash and the clock had stopped about 1962.

The exit from the building was down a set of concrete stairs, flanked by whitewashed walls and the night air coming up from the doors had an unsurprising effect on someone who had drunk (about half her body weight!) half a gallon of snakebite.

Whitewashed walls now purple.

Time to leave methinks.

Luckily the cold air and running a little sobered her up.

She made me promise not to tell anyone...

Damn...

• Like 5
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2
  • Round of applause 1

Back to railways and I really must - stop - buying - old - junk...

IMG_20230214_212752.jpg.019b2408839048e14fa62de894c6293a.jpg

But it's all for projects... Well apart from the 2251 which annoyingly is in much better condition than the one I converted into number 2291, it was just ridiculously cheap from someone I know who generally deals in prewar toys.

• Like 7
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold

A dangerous variant of snakebite was available in Hereford - local rough cider (known as scrumpy to the cognoscenti...) and Stella.  Or if you wanted the adult's version, Gold Label Barley Wine and rough cider, referred to as "a pint of dynamite" for some reason...

• Like 5
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

4 minutes ago, Graham T said:

A dangerous variant of snakebite was available in Hereford - local rough cider (known as scrumpy to the cognoscenti...) and Stella.  Or if you wanted the adult's version, Gold Label Barley Wine and rough cider, referred to as "a pint of dynamite" for some reason...

Bleghh....

I tried drinking some barley wine once.

And once only.

It's in the same category as Special Brew and other tramp's champagne.

Stella is known as "wife beater" in the northwest for some reason.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Graham T said:

Gold Label Barley Wine and rough cider, referred to as "a pint of dynamite" for some reason...

I'm not surprised!

1 hour ago, MrWolf said:

Special Brew

Known in my Uni days as SLO (I'll have to leave you to work that out for yourselves, otherwise my future on RMweb might be rather short).

• RMweb Gold
5 hours ago, Graham T said:

A very similar drink was available in Aberystwyth, where it was known as an Orbital. The application of a three syllable name is inherently self-regulating.

• Informative/Useful 1

7 hours ago, Graham T said:

I was introducted to a varient known as 'diesel' in the militray - a bottle of Diamond White, another of Stella, a double vodka and a dash of blackcurrant.

Lethal

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 1