RMweb

Aston On Clun. A forgotten Great Western outpost.

MrWolf

• RMweb Gold
6 hours ago, NHY 581 said:

Regular haunts back in the late eighties were the Old A and my local, The Royal Oak in Broadway. The latter was unique in that the S.A wasn't pumped. It was straight from the cask. 

Rob. 

The Ship & Pilot for me - and say no more you lot who knew the place but at least I always left on my own and never  got a knife stuck in my back or anywhere else.

• Friendly/supportive 2

1 hour ago, The Stationmaster said:

The Ship & Pilot for me - and say no more you lot who knew the place but at least I always left on my own and never  got a knife stuck in my back or anywhere else.

IIRC run by three spinster sisters at one time  - one bloke told me it's nicname was the six t*ts

Dave

• Funny 4

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, chuffinghell said:

It’s a real shame my request for a

’OMG that’s f**king awesome’ button was rejected

because OMG that’s f**king awesome!

Yes, it really is. Best garage I can remember seeing. 

Edited by Mikkel
  • Agree 11
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Mikkel said:

Yes, it really is. Best garage I can remember seeing. 

Coming from someone with your standards  of modelling, I take that as a huge compliment.

It's stuck down now so I hope to get the ground cover down before we go out.

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, MrWolf said:

Business as usual during the alterations to the forecourt.

IMG_20230217_202715.jpg.05ad9b33977ce9b6a154edbf2e665c29.jpg

Wouldn't there have an attendent? Just asking as I'm not certain. Don't think I've seen one as far as I can remember, but certain one of you knowledgeable fellows will know.

Edited by Winslow Boy
It's attendant not attachment you stupid boy
  • Like 2

42 minutes ago, Winslow Boy said:

Wouldn't there have an attendent? Just asking as I'm not certain. Don't think I've seen one as far as I can remember, but certain one of you knowledgeable fellows will know.

Very often it was one person doing everything at rural garages, but the missus might be running the pumps.

More importantly, I have owned several examples of both vehicles in this picture, but I was born too late for attendant service myself and what I remember never looked like this. Poor girl looks half frozen!

bikini-clad-british-petroleum-pump-attendant-vicky-hughes-fills-up-G55PKT.jpg.3c9c0678fc7f51c063511007f29aa551.jpg

This is more typical:

1538484099_b25lY21zOjc1MmZmYjJhLTk0YTUtNDY5Ni05N2NmLTJjNjYwNjE4NjBiNjoyNzc4MjRjMy02NjY5LTQ0YzctYWNkMi1jMDYxYTIzODZjNDU.jpg.08b7a7571393114fd85d7cc448b8e297.jpg

But I suppose for the thirties we need:

article-2150469-135009A3000005DC-120_468x349.jpg.cda7b7df3c1762b2ef4ac2de5dedb654.jpg

Overalls, beret and polished winklepicker shoes. Proper job!

• Like 16

You’re going to have to model a “frightfully modern, don’t you know”* young lady (tapping her foot impatiently) waiting for service at the pump next to that three wheeler now.

Would Dr. RRH be willing to be scanned in period garb by Modelu perhaps?

(*A phrase I recall from an Agatha Christie novel used by a young lady to describe herself)

• Like 9

46 minutes ago, cliff park said:

Where are the two black hoses, (always black) that ran across the entrances to ting the bell?

Thanks for reminding me about those hoses, they'll be going in once the forecourt is sorted out.

When we were very young, we found that we could ring the bell by jumping on the hose at this garage (sorry about the picture, only one I can find.) eventually a small middle aged lady with Esso overalls and a beehive hairdo would come out of the paybooth and politely tell us to clear off...

275427287_5311025092241564_773478112380429145_n.jpg.2b0c6495de31cc348504ee8988bb3ffb.jpg

Face Tube....

• Like 13

18 minutes ago, Tortuga said:

You’re going to have to model a “frightfully modern, don’t you know”* young lady (tapping her foot impatiently) waiting for service at the pump next to that three wheeler now.

Would Dr. RRH be willing to be scanned in period garb by Modelu perhaps?

(*A phrase I recall from an Agatha Christie novel used by a young lady to describe herself)

I'd put the three wheel BSA there just for that shot, I had thought perhaps of an attendant and another car, but it's going to be a case of what to leave out so that the layout doesn't start getting too "busy" with figures.

We did think it would be a bit of a laugh, but Bristol is a heck of a long way from here and despite appearances, the memsahib hasn't inherited her mother's catwalk confidence.

Besides, it might just start something terrifying, messing with forces beyond our etc etc etc...

Tardises, flashers, even Buses on bridges may be usurped by armies of Modelu Miss Riding Hoods in full Veronica Lake mode.

Then on August 29, 2027, the Riding Hoods became self aware.

Judgement day had begun...

• Like 1
  • Funny 13

• RMweb Gold
On 16/02/2023 at 17:38, The Stationmaster said:

Courage - back in the days when they really were Courage and had not long taken over Simonds in Reading - used to do a very potent barley wine in the pre-Christmas period/.  Allegedly so potent they aouldn'r sell it in half pint bottes but useda bottle about 25% smaller for it.  I dunno why they bothered witja smaller bpttle because a full half pint would have been beyond most people's means for more than a couple ) think it cost someything like 1/9 in the days when a whisky-mac cost 2/6. 

Are you talking about old berkshire strong ale xxxxx that used to be my grandfathers choice sold in what were called Nips. They also sold Archangel Stout xxxxxxx  I presume that was what was sold as Russian Stout in Courage days same Brewery. Again sold in Nips as was their Barley Wine.

I had plenty of Brains SA while on training courses at Coryton known to us as Skull Attack.

Don

• Like 2

4 hours ago, JustinDean said:

Thought I’d take the opportunity to post this, Rob, as I can’t remember if I have on previous garage discussions on here. My grandad’s (George Wright) garage, Corner House at the hamlet of Marston Jabbett between Bulkington and Nuneaton. He had started out with practically a wooden shed and a petrol pump post war then the booming car industry enabled him to expand and build this rather luxurious affair. 

Jay

BDEA33CD-5B4F-497F-9B54-32B4D1EA5B9E.jpeg

9135AAF6-480C-403A-B514-6177FCD69912.jpeg

DA38F60D-0D3E-4BE8-BB88-C85FBB114104.jpeg

3E4EB382-52A7-4E9D-952F-9C605C1F1ED1.jpeg

C018511D-83B5-4191-90E2-5ED6B75046D5.jpeg

Those are absolutely cracking photos Justin. I've had to rely on memory from when I was about 11 and memory of a couple of Facebook pictures I downloaded but no longer have! 

That Ford Zephyr MK2 looks like new, if it is, that dates the picture from '56-'58, as they had a facelift for the 1959 model year.

Thanks for sharing a bit of family history.

This is the closest I have now, the Shell sign is just visible on the right.

img_2_1670940620824.jpg.24f2df53f2a3216859e22b30f62daec9.jpg

• Like 7

4 hours ago, JustinDean said:

C018511D-83B5-4191-90E2-5ED6B75046D5.jpeg

When I was a lad this was my favourite car - I was going to buy one when I grew up - can't think the last time I saw one in the flesh!

Dad's firsr car was a 1959 Standard Ten 936 BNY bought in 1963.

Dave

• Like 5

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, MrWolf said:

Those are absolutely cracking photos Justin. I've had to rely on memory from when I was about 11 and memory of a couple of Facebook pictures I downloaded but no longer have! 

That Ford Zephyr MK2 looks like new, if it is, that dates the picture from '56-'58, as they had a facelift for the 1959 model year.

Thanks for sharing a bit of family history.

This is the closest I have now, the Shell sign is just visible on the right.

img_2_1670940620824.jpg.24f2df53f2a3216859e22b30f62daec9.jpg

Thanks Rob - sadly both this garage and George had gone by the time I arrived on the planet but my dad has given me a fantastic collection of photos which really capture life at the tail end of the 50’s. 
The Zephyr is real beauty right! George had just bought it and my dad took the photo. 

Jay

• Like 4
  • Friendly/supportive 1

57 minutes ago, chuffinghell said:

I see seven t!ts

50C21738-EEA6-4F96-AEB2-A11903A71445.jpeg.cc7040379480016f1ef7072abf77d1c0.jpeg

😆

Can't beat a bit of self depreciating humour, if I still had a computer I would have put myself in the picture like that under the title of "Great T!t".

And to keep us on topic, the poor girl serving petrol at Christmas while wearing a bikini would obviously be a Blue T!t.

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1