Aston On Clun. A forgotten Great Western outpost.

MrWolf

Just now, Graham T said:

I don’t think it matters too much.  One for the layout and one for the fiddle yard 🙂

What happens if it's a double ended fiddle yard.

Plus when the tea or beverage of choice and slice of cake/choccy/ginger nut etc arrives how will they know where to drop it off?

Just be easier to reclad them in glass. That way you could show off to the neighbours and grow some tomatoes as a cash crop.

• RMweb Premium
10 hours ago, MrWolf said:

That's the problem. Add that to out other interests and I need a small 2 bed house with a WWII aircraft hangar attached....

No. You need a hangar (other types of railway room are available) with house attached.

• Agree 4

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Graham T said:

You could possibly even stretch to O gauge with one of these?

image.png.548950ac7f89d76ed305d5eab45d3b35.png

Having been inside one of these sheds, I have often considered the size of model railway you could create - but then have nightmares regarding the number of persons required to operate said railway!

To be serious:

- At one time one of the sheds was used for fire testing complete fullsize houses built inside it.

- Also one of the sheds has been used as a super-sized film set enclosure.

- The sheds are big enough to have their own interior micro climates - sometimes it can rain or snow inside while it is dry outside!

Dream on.

Regards

Chris H

• Like 5
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, Graham T said:

You could possibly even stretch to O gauge with one of these?

image.png.548950ac7f89d76ed305d5eab45d3b35.png

That's Cardington in Bedfordshire right?!

A long time ago when I first left the army I worked as a motor cycle courier and had to deliver to Airship industries who were in the one on the right. Their airship, about the same size as the Goodyear blimp, was in there and it looked totally lost. It barely took up a quarter of the hanger. I remember riding towards it and riding and riding and the buildings were getting bigger and bigger. A photo like this just doesn't convey how big these two buildings are. To put it into perspective the small black shape at the extreme right of the building is a large car and the toothpick next to the car is a full height street lamp. The photo is taken from around half a mile from the buildings if not more. The two airships R100 and R101, that they were built for were absolutely gigantic and they were nothing compared to the Hindenburg! If you get a chance to go see them take it as the are jaw droppingly huge! Oh yes I forgot to say they sometimes have clouds forming inside them.

Regards Lez.     

Edited by lezz01
  • Like 6
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
9 hours ago, lezz01 said:

That's Cardington in Bedfordshire right?!

It is indeed.  I did some mil training around there a few years ago.  Interesting stuff but if I told you about it I'd have to kill you 💣

9 hours ago, lezz01 said:

A long time ago when I first left the army I worked as a motor cycle courier and had to deliver to Airship industries who were in the one on the right. Their airship, about the same size as the Goodyear blimp, was in there and it looked totally lost. It barely took up a quarter of the hanger. I remember riding towards it and riding and riding and the buildings were getting bigger and bigger. A photo like this just doesn't convey how big these two buildings are. To put it into perspective the small black shape at the extreme right of the building is a large car and the toothpick next to the car is a full height street lamp. The photo is taken from around half a mile from the buildings if not more. The two airships R100 and R101, that they were built for were absolutely gigantic and they were nothing compared to the Hindenburg! If you get a chance to go see them take it as the are jaw droppingly huge! Oh yes I forgot to say they sometimes have clouds forming inside them.

Regards Lez.     

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

The Driving Standards Agency have an office and test track at Cardington.// I went there on course for work and the hangers are seriously impressive. The test track was fun too.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
17 hours ago, MrWolf said:

I certainly think so.

It would work provided you said an absolute NO to those people who ask you to store some worthless crap "just for a couple of weeks"..... Three years later and your junk is sat outside under a sheet and you have to fall out with them to get it shifted!

Trouble is that they all close relatives - like herself and our son!

• Like 1
  • Funny 2
  • Friendly/supportive 3

I delivered fish to Cardington when an American film company used one of the hangars  as a film studio , the film was a cop show and they had US cop cars parked outside.Very friendly people the caterers especially   went there several times always got a coffee and bacon butty .Anybody know what is happenning at Cardington now?

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Graham T said:

It is indeed.  I did some mil training around there a few years ago.  Interesting stuff but if I told you about it I'd have to kill you 💣

Wow that must be some pretty tough training. What where you training the Mother In Law to do - fetch sticks?

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, Winslow Boy said:

Wow that must be some pretty tough training. What where you training the Mother In Law to do - fetch sticks?

I said it was interesting, not impossible!

• Funny 2

I have been busy elsewhere, finding that on another thread, something that I have been wanting to build for more than half a lifetime is happening, so by means of mutual encouragement, I've started a small rolling stock project.

https://www.rmweb.co.uk/topic/150971-tyteford-halte/?do=findComment&comment=5116619

This is my effort so far, but if you read the thread, there's also a tatty Collett auto tank to contend with, so that is right up my cripple siding.....

IMG_20230319_230457.jpg.f095caefe96f83e35fa2c8cdf1f175cd.jpg

• Like 15

• RMweb Gold

This will be a worthwhile project !  I would recommend you use Shawplan’s laser cut flush glazing as did Kevin on his Little Muddle autocoach. It costs a little more but it is well worth it !

• Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

Thanks, I'll look into that, I've got the old SEF vacuum formed items from thirty years ago and I'm not entirely convinced! 

I know that we're jumping about a bit, but I figured it was a good opportunity, spurred on by @MAP66 to actually get it done.

I know that there's a new autocoach on the horizon and I don't doubt that it will be as big a revelation as this, its spiritual ancestor was back in 1977, but I don't think that I can justify the cost at present.

As you probably know, the memsahib hasn't got her first paycheck yet, but our property management company (Breedy, Gastard and Co.) must have heard, as they've just shoved our rent up by more than 20% starting next month.

• Friendly/supportive 16

• RMweb Premium
7 hours ago, MrWolf said:

As you probably know, the memsahib hasn't got her first paycheck yet, but our property management company (Breedy, Gastard and Co.) must have heard, as they've just shoved our rent up by more than 20% starting next month.

Try sending Miss RRH found to negotiate terms with one of her throwing axe 🪓 ... bound to get a result one way or another...

• Funny 2

She's not the scary one, she's a pussycat really.

Although she was very disappointed that I was only joking when I said she would make the perfect bogus motorcycle courier to take the management company's MD a nice board backed envelope full of big, glossy, black and white pictures of his wife dropping the children off at school.

Nothing else, no message, just the pictures.

Then you keep watch and you find out what their real secret shame is and obtain evidence of them trying to hide that as they go into meltdown.

Works on politicians and other crooks...

• Agree 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

34 minutes ago, MrWolf said:

She's not the scary one, she's a pussycat really.

Although she was very disappointed that I was only joking when I said she would make the perfect bogus motorcycle courier to take the management company's MD a nice board backed envelope full of big, glossy, black and white pictures of his wife dropping the children off at school.

Nothing else, no message, just the pictures.

Then you keep watch and you find out what their real secret shame is and obtain evidence of them trying to hide that as they go into meltdown.

Works on politicians and other crooks...

Is there something we should know here Rob or are you telling us about the plot of your proposed best seller.

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

46 minutes ago, Winslow Boy said:

Is there something we should know here Rob or are you telling us about the plot of your proposed best seller.

If we told you....

30 minutes ago, lezz01 said:

It works because ALL politicians ALWAYS have something to hide.

Regards Lez.

And a (perhaps not surprising) number of celebrities, entrepreneurs and "self made men", the latter being one of the greatest lies in the English language.

• Like 1