Aston On Clun. A forgotten Great Western outpost.

MrWolf

• RMweb Gold
12 hours ago, MrWolf said:

I'm not going to get into this, because I find that s*** goes sideways really quickly.

But you find that every faith, religion or political ideology has some good, inspiring ideas.

Once you involve people, these things become either forgotten or twisted to suit somebody's personal agenda.

Like you say @Regularity, profit out of someone else's work.

Aye: my point was made ironically.

I was reminded of Douglas Adams’ reference in the original Guide: “…then one day roughly 2,000 years after a guy was nailed to a tree for saying how good it would be for people to be nice to each other for a change…” (or something similar - quoting from memory).

Also of the Mark Burgess lyric, “Now I know how Jesus felt when they nailed him to the cross: p155ed off!” *

Definitely. Political and religious debate bore me to death. 

Ah, genuine debate about these things is fascinating, but generally speaking these topics are “debated” by people who wish to “win” rather than to explore ideas.

So, amen to that! (Sorry, couldn’t resist!)

* The Chamelons, “Every day I’m crucified.”

• Like 2

58 minutes ago, Rowsley17D said:

When I read the bit about a bag of cinders further up I thought Miss RRH had not been a good girl this year, which I thought was a bit hard given all that ballasting.

Quite, it's definitely a case of "Cinders, you shall go to the ball!"

• Like 4

42 minutes ago, Regularity said:

Aye: my point was made ironically.

I was reminded of Douglas Adams’ reference in the original Guide: “…then one day roughly 2,000 years after a guy was nailed to a tree for saying how good it would be for people to be nice to each other for a change…” (or something similar - quoting from memory).

Also of the Mark Burgess lyric, “Now I know how Jesus felt when they nailed him to the cross: p155ed off!” *

I figured that you were speaking from an ironic standpoint.

The three Abrahamic religions have, at various points in time run with the idea of espousing "Believe that we are the only true way to peace and enlightenment - or we'll kill you all".

To the atheists out there who say that you can't prove god exists, I generally respond with - and you can't prove that he / she doesn't either.

42 minutes ago, Regularity said:

Ah, genuine debate about these things is fascinating, but generally speaking these topics are “debated” by people who wish to “win” rather than to explore ideas.

So, amen to that! (Sorry, couldn’t resist!)

* The Chamelons, “Every day I’m crucified.”

Oh yes, debate. I learned very early on at university that those who preach liberal attitudes, free speech, inclusivity and openness are the first to scream foul at anything that doesn't dovetail with and bolster their personal world view. They are spineless, vindictive, patronising, passive aggressive narcissists.

We used to enjoy playing "The Hitler Fail". First person to run out of rational arguments and compare your last statement to something from Nazi Germany, loses. :D

Because they have resorted to the universal get out to silence an opponent and make others fearful of picking up the thread.

Edited by MrWolf
  • Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Round of applause 1

I have laid down a test patch of the siding cinders, it's a nice fine powder, but I think that it's a little too black. 

I have a real problem with colours that are too strident or dark in a model landscape, particularly greens, reds, (unless you want to draw attention to something) blacks and dark greys.

I'd like to hear your thoughts and experiences with this kind of thing.

image lost.

IMG_20211211_142101.jpg.f65df1f62b0bee488dbe34f40d4bbfcb.jpg

Edited by MrWolf
Image missing
  • Like 8

• RMweb Gold
28 minutes ago, MrWolf said:

I have laid down a test patch of the siding cinders, it's a nice fine powder, but I think that it's a little too black. 

I have a real problem with colours that are too strident or dark in a model landscape, particularly greens, reds, (unless you want to draw attention to something) blacks and dark greys.

I'd like to hear your thoughts and experiences with this kind of thing.

IMG_20211211_142101.jpg.f65df1f62b0bee488dbe34f40d4bbfcb.jpg

I agree entirely. Like tarmac roads, vehicle tyres and so on, they are rarely as dark as they are often portrayed in model form.

There's also the concept of colours fading with distance, which means that to accurately portray something in 4mm scale, it should be assumed you are viewing it from half-a-mile away...

I stick to a palette of medium and light greys, mostly.

Al.

• Like 4
  • Informative/Useful 3

Thanks for the input, I really should remember to apply my 2D art skills and self imposed rules as regards colour fading with distance and scale.

I'll pass on your compliments on the ballasting, she wasn't sure that it would pass muster amongst those who know about the real thing.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold
3 minutes ago, MrWolf said:

Would it calm you lot down if I told you that Jocelyn Lane is now eighty four years old?

Or do I have to turn the fire hose on everyone?:D

Probably not.

And probably yes.

• Agree 2
  • Funny 2

• RMweb Gold

Talking of trains/layout. Apparently some people (apologies if I've mentioned it before) put cling film between the baseboard joins and ballast/scenic up to it on both sides and when dry separate the boards. Thus leaving a pleasing interlocking of the scenery instead of a large straight join. 

• Informative/Useful 5

That's an interesting method (that I should have thought of!) to disguise the joints. There are end formers to each board and the platform joint, but all I did was run a sharp blade through once the plaster was dry. Since putting down the ground cover, straight across the joints, I loosened the bolts and just cracked the joints before re-tightening. No damage, but cling film would have helped no end.

• RMweb Gold
52 minutes ago, MrWolf said:

That was in fact the response to the suggestion of camping out on that beach in preference to a hotel with an actual bathroom.

49 minutes ago, JustinDean said:

I’d get exactly the same reaction. 

Does Mr. Wolf know that you made the same proposal to Miss Red Riding Hood? ;)

• Funny 6