Aston On Clun. A forgotten Great Western outpost.

MrWolf

• RMweb Premium
On 20/04/2022 at 08:06, Donw said:

they will have chucked out a lot of CO2 by the time they get Hinkley C built

That is true, undoubtedly, but the same applies to any piece of capital infrastructure.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, St Enodoc said:

...apart from Miss RRH's hair style.

(INCOMING!!!!!)

I think that's up to about 1940 now.  She has a kind of Veronica Lake thing going on.😆

Edited by MrWolf
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

A very uninspiring picture of the layout in its new home. At least we didn't manage to smash anything, which is a miracle in my book!

I've got quite a bit of work to do before I can reassemble it, but I've lopped 200mm off the legs already.

IMG_20220424_225101.jpg.a339929543374c331a39fc68c11d5b91.jpg

• Like 14
  • Friendly/supportive 5

Thin black polythene from bin liners was the only thing to hand that was light enough to put over the sections and keep off the dust and any potential rain when being carried to and from the van. 

The flooring isn't actually that colour, it's the effect of the dodgy lighting. Those energy saving bulbs that make it like year round winter are heading for the bin.

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 4

• RMweb Gold
On 19/04/2022 at 23:38, Graham T said:

Would like to hear more about this 57xx.  I never had an RD400; my two-stroke pedigree is X7, 350 YPVS, then 500LC.

Wish I'd kept them, especially the last one - I could probably retire on that!

Yes, that would have been a keeper with foresight. Saw an RG500 on ebay yesterday that reminded me I hadn't replied to you- they were asking £30,995!!

Which bits do you want to hear more of? We can take off-thread so as not to derail Mr Wolf.

• Like 1

Been admiring a blue 1979 RD350 this afternoon, it was in much better condition than I remember them in the late eighties!

It's impossible to derail the thread at present, as it's on a pause for a few days while we concentrate on decorating the new flat.

Although today has actually been a case of going out for a hurtle while it's not raining, chatting to fellow loonies and drinking stewed tea,, before coming home to leftover curry. We have managed to get into what will be the layout room, but it was more as a result of us bouncing around the house to some obscure rockabilly tunes than any practical attempts at decorating. 

I have received a message to say that the paint will be here on Wednesday.

Watch this space...

Or Keep watching the skies...

Or something...

7345442._UY416_SS416_.jpg.1139129f955ba72b38586c510c3d1156.jpg

Edited by MrWolf
  • Like 11

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold
On 02/05/2022 at 14:05, Graham T said:

Just to swap a couple of hair-raising RD stories really!

Sorry I missed this reply! Having owned a few RDs over the last 30+ years, I have rather a few stories like that lol. I think seizing the RD250 in the outside lane of the M1 at 95mph was probably the hairiest! :D

• Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold
32 minutes ago, 57xx said:

Sorry I missed this reply! Having owned a few RDs over the last 30+ years, I have rather a few stories like that lol. I think seizing the RD250 in the outside lane of the M1 at 95mph was probably the hairiest! :D

There is no emoji available that fits for that!!!

Pinch marks on the seat afterwards, I'd imagine?

• Funny 3

• RMweb Gold
43 minutes ago, MrWolf said:

You must have been lightning quick pulling in the clutch!

Absolutely! you learn to cover the clutch when riding strokers all your life. The back end stepped out a bit but recovered quickly once the clutch was pulled in. Luckily there was not a lot of traffic about so I was able to coast to the hard shoulder.

14 minutes ago, Graham T said:

There is no emoji available that fits for that!!!

Pinch marks on the seat afterwards, I'd imagine?

Haha yes, it was a squeeky moment in more ways than one.

• Like 2

One of my mates had a 500 back around 1990, that went bang and the only repair option was barrel and piston kits, rather than individual parts. This cost rather more than the bike, which laid dismantled in an old caravan until both went down the scrapyard. Shame because it was a hoot when it was working. 

I had a 250 Villiers lock up in a James with a bit of piston meltdown. It at least gave two or three seconds of warning clatter before scrubbing a flat on the rear tyre as I hit the clutch.

British two strokes needed to be ridden downhill with the throttle just cracked.

At least a new piston was only £15.

The worst lock up I had was with a BSA A7, it had been rebored out of true and let go at about 60 in third gear, ripping the bolt flange off the drive side barrel and smashing off both piston and barrel skirts.

It went into what can only be described as a high speed yaw. It was a case of don't touch the brakes and wait for it to sort itself out!

• Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold
7 minutes ago, MrWolf said:

One of my mates had a 500 back around 1990, that went bang and the only repair option was barrel and piston kits, rather than individual parts. This cost rather more than the bike, which laid dismantled in an old caravan until both went down the scrapyard. Shame because it was a hoot when it was working.

Yamaha's design on the 500 did make for costly repairs with two separate cranks to get rebuilt.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
5 minutes ago, 57xx said:

I can imagine the 500 was a bit of a handful!

It certainly was.  Great fun to ride, but always felt like it was on the edge of doing something even crazier than you wanted it to...

I think the 350YPVS was the most fun bike I ever had, pound for pound.  I would have loved a Yammagamma (although it probably would have killed me!)

• Like 1

The RD 500 was quite nuts, but not as nuts as over £1000 for four barrels and pistons was in 1990 to a 20 year old.

The James SuperSwift got rebuilt in my university digs and all the mucky jobs done in their workshops. This was back when art colleges didn't tan their trousers at the idea of eighteen year olds using oxyacetylene and making their own bronze and aluminum castings!

534095747_1200px-James_Superswift_Sports_250_-_Flickr_-_mick_-_Lumix_jamesmotorcycle.jpg.b28291fb264f433f8ab01a262e392cc6.jpg

Edited by MrWolf
Stupid autocorrect
  • Like 3

Back on the subject of the layout I have set myself the target of this weekend to have the three scenic sections back in operation. 

Everything else is getting modified to suit the new room - I "only" have an L shape 17'6" x 9'6"...

Now what shall I do with the short leg of the "L" ?

I could talk about bikes for a week, but it might scare off the viewers! 

Wot viewers?

I'm trying to keep the motorcycle thread going here:

Edited by MrWolf
  • Like 6