Aston On Clun. A forgotten Great Western outpost.

MrWolf

21 minutes ago, JustinDean said:

About 80% of my modelling is done after a few ales. Probably accounts for a lot of the wonkiness. 
That’s my excuse anyway. 

Jay

I really can't concentrate properly to make models, paint or draw, even after a couple of beers, so I don't do it, but I can still swing spanners or whatever else I fancy doing.

Jackson (Jack The Dripper) Pollock is a good example of why I don't drink and paint, although being able to talk a good fight to the right folks, be made a fair bit of cash!

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

13 hours ago, Bluemonkey presents.... said:

Morning Rob, Cracking work on the joint secret project. Wonderful attention to detail and build structures. You should put some pictures up on your thread as well especially as a joint venture.

Thanks for the compliment, though I really can't claim that much as once the CAD body design had been proven in 3d, it's been largely Chris's work which has brought the loco to completion. I'm on with sorting the hobbies room out at the moment, but my first piece of modelling will be my version of number 23, using a modified Hornby chassis and metal detail components on a printed body that Chris redesigned the internals of to my specifications to fit the (almost!) RTR chassis.

I'll detail the progress and profanity here on this thread. I also have an ex M&SWJR "shortie" bogie brake third to go with it that I really ought to finish and document, just in case anyone fancies a go.

Edited by MrWolf
  • Like 5
  • Friendly/supportive 1

5 minutes ago, wiggoforgold said:

Looks great Rob. I actually have two boxes of bolts. One is for the layout bolts. The other is a spare set (or three) in case I ever mislay the layout bolts.

Alex

Can't fault that. It wouldn't be the first time someone has taken out an exhibition layout and left behind the box of bolts, extension lead, controller leads etc.

I have a second set of bolts, partly because I lose things and partly because modern set screws are so cheaply made, they often won't stand being undone more than once before the threads start deforming.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

The wiring crossed each baseboard joint via ordinary chocolate block connectors. They're okay, but a bit fiddly.

As the layout is only semi portable, I don't need to go to the expense of fancy DIN connectors, but the quick release version of the chocolate block connectors is a good halfway point.

IMG_20220522_233738.jpg.845934f3d377b0ea47b3160f0dd498ad.jpg

• Like 6
  • Agree 6
  • Informative/Useful 2

9 minutes ago, aardvark said:

I use EC3 connectors, but then I only have 2 wires 🥴

As a matter of interest, is one or both side of the choc-block connectors screwed down?

2 wires? We've fallen for that before!

The female side of the connector blocks is screwed to the inside lower edge of the end boards. Less chance of ripping any wires out as you're only fighting one half of the connector.

• Like 5
  • Informative/Useful 1

9 hours ago, MrWolf said:

Can't fault that. It wouldn't be the first time someone has taken out an exhibition layout and left behind the box of bolts, extension lead, controller leads etc.

I have a second set of bolts, partly because I lose things and partly because modern set screws are so cheaply made, they often won't stand being undone more than once before the threads start deforming.

Even though Trewithen is basically a home Layout, I still use over centre suitcase latches to clamp the boards together, just as I did on most of my Exhibition Layouts.

No bolts to lose or forget.👍

IMG_5320.JPG.31ca23762e6ac3970ed1a2da9b69204d.JPG

• Like 6
  • Informative/Useful 2

54 minutes ago, MrWolf said:

2 wires? We've fallen for that before!

The female side of the connector blocks is screwed to the inside lower edge of the end boards. Less chance of ripping any wires out as you're only fighting one half of the connector.

I reses mine into cut away's in the board joins, both fixed to its relevant board. 

IMG_5315.JPG.27c2678ab9b4bcde47e67377874b3462.JPG

Edited by Andrew P
  • Like 11
  • Informative/Useful 1

15 minutes ago, Tortuga said:

Nice to see Aston-on-Clun back up in its new home @MrWolf.

What are you going to do about the far end? Bore into the next room or curve around?

There's enough room either end to either put in a curve or a 3ft cassette. I'm doing away with the full width fiddle yards, it's far too easy for them to become an unofficial shelf!

• Like 1
  • Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

47 minutes ago, Andrew P said:

I reses mine into cut away's in the board joins, both fixed to its relevant board. 

IMG_5315.JPG.27c2678ab9b4bcde47e67377874b3462.JPG

That's a neat solution. Is one side of the connector fixed into the recess and the other floating, or are both fixed and come together along with the alignment dowels?

55 minutes ago, Andrew P said:

Even though Trewithen is basically a home Layout, I still use over centre suitcase latches to clamp the boards together, just as I did on most of my Exhibition Layouts.

No bolts to lose or forget.👍

IMG_5320.JPG.31ca23762e6ac3970ed1a2da9b69204d.JPG

The bolts on my layout pass through the upper end of the support legs and the end boards of the baseboards. These are 19mm ply for strength (and because I had some lying around) everything else is 9mm marine ply to keep the boards lightweight without risking them warping. I've no intention to use it as an exhibition layout, so it only gets dismantled for house moves or the dreaded decorating.

This is a shot taken when the boards were completed and the legs were under construction.

WP_20191227_16_54_15_Pro.jpg.199f1d7cf7bc3fc9230082c60886dffe.jpg

• Like 11

53 minutes ago, MrWolf said:

There's enough room either end to either put in a curve or a 3ft cassette. I'm doing away with the full width fiddle yards, it's far too easy for them to become an unofficial shelf!

I’ve got a 2’ non-scenic curve at one end of Alsop which will lead to a narrow five or six foot long traverser. I’d’ve preferred a larger radius, but that would ate too much of the layout length.

I decided against cassettes as some of my trains will be long, but I can see cassettes being the way forward for short trains. Hmm. Might look into incorporating cassettes on the traversers to accommodate the passenger services (usually loco plus two 57’ non corridor coaches).

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Tortuga said:

I’ve got a 2’ non-scenic curve at one end of Alsop which will lead to a narrow five or six foot long traverser. I’d’ve preferred a larger radius, but that would ate too much of the layout length.

I decided against cassettes as some of my trains will be long, but I can see cassettes being the way forward for short trains. Hmm. Might look into incorporating cassettes on the traversers to accommodate the passenger services (usually loco plus two 57’ non corridor coaches).

I'm still looking into what might be the best solution. It will definitely consist of a non scenic curve leading to a much narrower storage set up than before.  The fiddle yard representing Craven Arms will run across the back of the Bench of Bodge, so that definitely needs slimming down to a shelf.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Winslow Boy said:

Does the 'under construction' also include the wall behind or is that the 'scenic break'?

It's the inside of the old shop, that's what we found after removing the boards nailed to the walls. Much dampness...

1 hour ago, Winslow Boy said:

Just asking for a friend.

Just as long as they're your friend out of their own free will....😉

• Agree 1
  • Funny 1

11 hours ago, MrWolf said:

That's a neat solution. Is one side of the connector fixed into the recess and the other floating, or are both fixed and come together along with the alignment dowels?

The bolts on my layout pass through the upper end of the support legs and the end boards of the baseboards. These are 19mm ply for strength (and because I had some lying around) everything else is 9mm marine ply to keep the boards lightweight without risking them warping. I've no intention to use it as an exhibition layout, so it only gets dismantled for house moves or the dreaded decorating.

This is a shot taken when the boards were completed and the legs were under construction.

WP_20191227_16_54_15_Pro.jpg.199f1d7cf7bc3fc9230082c60886dffe.jpg

Yes, I have locating dowels and both sides of the connector are fixed so they slide together as the boards align. 

I like your legs. 🤣

Edited by Andrew P