Ellis Clark Trains Finescale O Gauge Black 5

Ellis Clark Trains

• RMweb Premium
On 07/03/2023 at 05:07, Chris-ECT said:

Ok, we've kept you waiting long enough...

May we present to you the first decorated sample for our forthcoming Black 5!

Now, there are a number of alterations and improvements we have made to this - but what do you all think?

5428-1.jpeg

5428-2.jpeg

334654954_219841713883514_3654030027844444539_n.jpg

5428-4.jpeg

5428-5.jpeg

Where’s the green one with the face on it? 

• Funny 2

• 2 weeks later...

I would like to buy one of these for my O gauge garden layout.

The Hornby Bluetooth DCC chips will be a game changer for my layout as no more DCC problems outside..the locos can be controlled via bluetooth with the track still DC powered.

So my questions are

1/ Will the Hornby DCC HM7000 Bluetooth chips be power matched OK with this loco's electronics (If I order the DC only version)

2/ Does the DC only version still come supplied with a speaker prefitted fitted in the loco? (the Hornby HM7000's are tinny and crap) 

3/ Where is the DCC plate located? in the tender or the locomotive

4/ Is the DCC plate easy to get at?  

5/ What wheels have power pickups? Just the loco or tender as well?

Thanks! 

Edited by wappinghigh

I doubt that compatibility with a low end OO gauge sound decoder will be a primary concern for ECT.

The model will be suitably heavy (I have held one), and have a corresponding current draw.  I would hope that ECT design the motor and electronics for performance and reliability over power consumption.  As the sound version is Zimo, I would think that the 34pin L interface will be provided - such as:

https://www.coastaldcc.co.uk/products/zimo/decoders/o-gauge/

The price difference between dcc ready and sound fitted appears to be in this range.

Nonetheless, there would be an hard-wire option for other decoders, but experience would suggest that models of this size would draw more than 1 amp peak, most likely defeating the HM7000.

I have dabbled with using TTS chips for ‘sound only’ in 0 Gauge This works with diesel sounds - the class 50 is remarkably good - but the steam sounds rely on BEMF for chuff sync (what little there is).  I would imagine the HM7000 is similar.  ~ Obviously using them for sound only would obviously defeat most of the Bluetooth benefits.

It might be worthwhile lobbying Hornby to produce a range of decoders for 0 Gauge, with relevant large scale sockets.

Alternatively, Soundtraxx are already on this with their Bluetooth enabled range:

https://soundtraxx.com/blunami

Neal

Edited by neal
Posted before complete
  • Like 1

Good morning Wappinghigh and everyone else,  

Sorry I didn't get back to this yesterday I ended up out of the office. To make life easier I have copied and pasted the questions and I  popped the answer below them for ease.

1. Will the Hornby DCC HM7000 Bluetooth chips be power matched OK with this loco's electronics (If I order the DC only version)

Unfortunately, Hornby doesn't make a chip to fit this interface.

2. Does the DC only version still come supplied with a speaker prefitted fitted in the loco?

Just the DCC Sound models will be pre-fitted with speakers, as we have opted for high-end 2 x Zimo 'The Boomer' SP18x13x13 Dynamic Speakers

3. Where is the DCC plate located? in the tender or the locomotive?

The interface is located in the boiler in a removable fixture, it is fitted with its own 34 pin interface which is developed for and around the Zimo MS950 Sound Chip, as they are our DCC Partner. The Zimo chip also has a built-in stay-alive.

4. Is the DCC plate easy to get at?

There are two screws at the rear and two at the front to remove the boiler and the smokebox so the speaker X fitting and DCC interface can be accessed. There is also quite a bit of room in the boiler for other fittings if required.

5. What wheels have power pickups? Just the loco or tender as well?

The driving wheels have plunger pickups, the bogie is unpowered and the last two tender wheel sets are also fitted with pickups.

I hope this helps and if you have any more questions please drop me a line

Edited by Chris-ECT
Updated spec info
  • Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 5

^Thanks for all this.

The Soundtraxx Blunami for large locos looks the go as long as it is compatible with 34pin L inferace which I assume this model uses?

I highly doubt they have a Black5 recording though?

Anyway.

The world will move towards bluetooth now Hornby has joined Sountraxx..and like I say this has major benefits for large scale models as many of us don't have the room for O scale inside so like to run them outside or on a suitable club layout. Bluetooth control really suits O scale....

Just MO

• Like 1

I don’t think that  the Soundtraxx decoder will be compatible with the ECT DCC ready socket, but this could be hard wired.  This would however require the ‘hard yards’ working out wiring relevant to the decoder connections. I don’t know what sound files are available for this decoder.

In all honesty, Bluetooth is new to the UK DCC market, and expecting manufacturers to respond in weeks or months to a new technology is unrealistic - particularly for O Gauge where production volumes are less, and commercial risk is very high.

As far as I can see, Bluetooth DCC still requires a solid AC or DC power supply, which could equally provide a DCC signal.  In my mind the ECT sound fitted loco, supported by a well installed DCC network still remains the way to go.

That said, such comments echo those of analogue supporters 10-15 years ago!

There are parallels with going electric for your car - I have just bought my ‘last’ petrol powered car but was torn over the decision!

N

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

^Thanks for the help Neal

I'll order a DCC sound version

And swap out the chip for bluetooth (if and when? a suitable one ever arrives) 

It will still run on DC right?... I get that magnificent Black5 original soundtrack.. 

Just not the direct whistle control etc.. 

Cheers 

Edited by wappinghigh

Don't be shy, the RTR sound fitted versions will be the way to go.

I'm working on the sound projects for the factory sound-fitted Black 5s currently.

They'll knock your socks off.

Full suite of authentic sounds, playback in 16 bit resolution, plus a host of added functions and features.

The sound will operate on DCC or DC analogue by default. And you will get far more on analogue than just the exhaust sounds.

Paul

• Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Hi Chris-ECT

Is there any chance of a lined, un-numbered livery but with BRITISH RAILWAYS on the tender, or alternatively, with nothing on the tender for application of our own transfers?

regards

Mike

Edited by Ressaldar
additional wording

Good afternoon all,

For everyone joining us at Warley this weekend, we'll have the latest samples of our Black Five on show, including production samples, ahead of the first models arriving next month.

Feel free to drop by and say hello! If you can't make it, check out our latest update videos on the Black Five below:

Chris

• Like 1

• 1 month later...