O Gauge 3D Printed IIA Drax Biomass wagon

njee20

• RMweb Premium

Heljan's forthcoming re-run of 60s has me sorely tempted to do a small wagon repair works layout or something, and for that I'll need some wagons. I've been 3D printing in N for a couple of years, and the Drax biomass wagons are an impressive sight. I've just got a new larger 3D printer (Elegoo Saturn), so I thought I'd have a go at sizing up the CAD and seeing if I could do something in O.

My printer was just too small for a two-part print, which is a shame, so I split the model into 3 parts.

It went rather well...

50632605486_f328be8607_z.jpgO gauge IIA by njee20, on Flickr

It took about 40 hours to print all three pieces, but the last one finished last night. The three sections have mated nicely, so now begins several founds of filling/sanding/priming, I'm pretty pleased with it at the moment though!

50645000477_5b889fddba_z.jpgO gauge IIA by njee20, on Flickr

I'd have added a bit more detail if I expected it to work so well, some of the cable runs and things which are wasted in N are that much more visible in O, next time round!

I'll be printing the TF-25 bogies too, which brings a load of new challenges - integrating tophat bearings, new spacing etc, then I'm hopeful the graphics will scale up nicely. I think I'll definitely be buying a 60 though...!

• Like 4
  • Craftsmanship/clever 6

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, mike hughes said:

I believe NMRS models sells the TF 25 bogies now

Michael

Thank you, they do. As I've got the CAD I thought I'd scale it up and see if it works out first - that's a lot cheaper after all for an hour of my time!

Possibly even more exciting is that the wife has endorsed having an O gauge layout in the garden. One 60 is not going to be enough...

49 minutes ago, D6775 said:

Looking good. It'll be a big wagon!

Cheers! It's about 440mm over the buffers.

5 minutes ago, njee20 said:

Thank you, they do. As I've got the CAD I thought I'd scale it up and see if it works out first - that's a lot cheaper after all for an hour of my time!

Possibly even more exciting is that the wife has endorsed having an O gauge layout in the garden. One 60 is not going to be enough...

Cheers! It's about 440mm over the buffers.

I've built a couple of Buzz Models Ferrywagons, I think they are slightly longer.

• RMweb Premium

Yes, probably. The IIAs are the highest volume wagons on the network IIRC, but not the longest.

I've got a few other models to try and upscale in due course, just need to spend time adjusting the CADs. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, njee20 said:

I've got a few other models to try and upscale in due course, just need to spend time adjusting the CADs. 

Will certainly be following with interest. I have just started to compile a list of what is available for the Modern Image Modeller for the MIOG website. Its surprising what is out there if you know where to look.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Of the things I’m hoping to work through I’ve got JIA China clay tanks, JGA cement tankers, JHA aggregate hoppers and IPA bi-level car carriers. Not sure how well they’ll all work, but I’m prepared to have fun trying! Not sure any of them are available currently either.